What's new

Green highlands foraging

Green Highland

They finally started to pop.
26232E64-EFD4-4BB6-83AB-2379F2CA0316.jpeg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
how far north or south are you from someplace recognizable on a map? i've not seen a morel, a hummingbird, nor any blue-winged teal yet. birders thought that hummingbird males might be here by now ???

Green Highland

how far north or south are you from someplace recognizable on a map? i've not seen a morel, a hummingbird, nor any blue-winged teal yet. birders thought that hummingbird males might be here by now ???
I’m about 2 hours north of Toronto, Ontario Canada. Across the the lake from northern Michigan. Should be starting to flush for next few weeks around here

Green Highland

I’ve got no morels near me. So I’m growing spawn on substrate to plant out in my property this year. Hopefully that means morels next spring for me!

Right is yellow morel, left is ganoderma. I’ve got about 6 other large bags colonizing with both yellow and black morel. Experimenting with different substrates.
View attachment 18837580
That’s dope. These are actually growing in my outdoor spot on the edge of my property that I throw my discarded pro mix HP into ( notice the perlite) beside a dead elm tree after I harvest my cannabis plants inside. Was an amazing surprise. I found about 60 last year.

Last edited:

Dr.Mantis

That’s dope. These are actually growing in my outdoor spot on the edge of my property that I throw my discarded pro mix HP into ( notice the perlite) beside a dead elm tree after I harvest my cannabis plants inside. Was an amazing surprise. I found about 60 last year.
Thank you! Hopefully it works….

I’m very envious of your morels!!! I was gunna ask about where they were, especially seeing the perlite in the picture. I’ve heard they like old trees and apple orchards. I have a few apple trees I’m going to plant with the blocks, and some others in a flower bed.

Green Highland

Thank you! Hopefully it works….

I’m very envious of your morels!!! I was gunna ask about where they were, especially seeing the perlite in the picture. I’ve heard they like old trees and apple orchards. I have a few apple trees I’m going to plant with the blocks, and some others in a flower bed.
They def like apple trees. I’ve got an apple tree on one side where these pop and a dead slippery elm on the other.

exoticrobotic

I will keep a look out when i visit an orchard this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

We get a few boletus edulis and hedgehog mushrooms where i live but never seen a Morel.

They are pretty well camouflaged. What a beautiful mushroom.

Green Highland

I will keep a look out when i visit an orchard this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

We get a few boletus edulis and hedgehog mushrooms where i live but never seen a Morel.

They are pretty well camouflaged. What a beautiful mushroom.
The smaller black ones love apple orchards where I’m from and come up a little earlier than they yellow ones but you can find both in orchards. Really great place to find them.

Dr.Mantis

They def like apple trees. I’ve got an apple tree on one side where these pop and a dead slippery elm on the other.
Thinking about this more…

Morels are successfully cultivated in China outdoors in beds. While the exact details aren’t well documented outside of China, it seems the method involved apply external “nutrient bags” to the colonized soil. This is external nutrient application plus other environmental factors seems to be critical to reliable fruiting.

I wonder, when you dumped your old promix you may have done something similar?

Green Highland

I saw a video on those Chinese morels and it made me think along the same lines. I’ve had lots of burdock and nettles pop there as well. The promix discard Probably influenced the area a little, a happy accident and the right trees probably providing the proper circumstances for fruiting to happen.

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Dead elms are where they're at in you neck of the woods. There used to be a website called www.morelmushroomhunting.net that collected morel hunters' reports from around the world and you could watch to season progress and get a good idea of when to start looking in your area, in central north America the reports would start coming in during April about great finds near dead & dying elms starting in more southern locations like Missouri & Iowa and the reports would head north from there as the weeks of spring progressed. On the west coast they'd start at sea level in March and travel upwards in elevation hitting 6000' or so towards the end of June. West coast ones tend to grow with grand fir, but the sea level ones would be around cottonwoods.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i normally find them during turkey season here, like NOW! :( but have not found one the past two seasons. my "patches" have run dry. to be honest, we have not had the sort of rains/temps that bring them out. :shucks:

Latest posts

Latest posts