What's new

Greek Landraces exposed

R

red23

Too much thinking!!!
G'day N.:)
Don't think the jar needs a second hole.
It acts like a lung.Daytime build up of heat/moisture, air out
followed by nighttime low temps when air will be sucked in through the one hole by the plant.Dom created by glass,keeps growth of the upper half of the plant,"mechanically" bonsai like in there
I've been out and about a bit lately ,with a few questions
Got an unexpected result yesterday, still picking from the BK jar:)
There is a purple greek landrace sativa(pheno?),and, can be found around Highland red habitat, forrest,mountains ..........it exists
:)
Must be half buried in the ground.Can't see rooting system exposed in the sun ,although in a jar ?
I have somewhere some auto seeds,NLxPCK

Night4wings20

Must be half buried in the ground.Can't see rooting system exposed in the sun ,although in a jar ?

Would make sense since the roots don't like sun.

Maybe the on it's side method is to restrict root growth therefore plant size?

Good questions coming up :)

R

red23

Would make sense since the roots don't like sun.

Maybe the on it's side method is to restrict root growth therefore plant size?

Good questions coming up :)
Last summer season, was probably last season for quite a few greek outdoor growers, with their landraces( Central Greece)
Pollen from a large scale grow(pharmaceutical), some licenses for industrial scale production have been given!,did some serious damage
I need to find out if that's true
That's a huge problem

Night4wings20

Last summer season, was probably last season for quite a few greek outdoor growers, with their landraces( Central Greece)
Pollen from a large scale grow(pharmaceutical), some licenses for industrial scale production have been given!,did some serious damage
I need to find out if that's true
That's a huge problem

That is a massive problem. Let's hope for the best

R

red23

That is a massive problem. Let's hope for the best
Greece is small, and,a regional problem is a huge problem ,even for me the amateur grower
I can't just ignore the words/warnings ,from people that are going to trust me with their seeds tomorrow
My outdoors was messed up anyway.i have to consider this, not to say relocate....

Night4wings20

Greece is small, and,a regional problem is a huge problem ,even for me the amateur grower
I can't just ignore the words/warnings ,from people that are going to trust me with their seeds tomorrow
My outdoors was messed up anyway.i have to consider this, not to say relocate....

Perhaps just grow indoors for a while so your plants don't get pollinated.

Obviously sending some of your seed stock to people you trust whom can preserve the strain and send it back to if anything bad happens including being pollinated by commercial strain pollen.

Damn that is nasty though :(

R

red23

Perhaps just grow indoors for a while so your plants don't get pollinated.

Obviously sending some of your seed stock to people you trust whom can preserve the strain and send it back to if anything bad happens including being pollinated by commercial strain pollen.

Damn that is nasty though :(
I promised,a seed.
I get to the seed
And,what next ? "mile high" grow
Pigeons carry some kind of flu? don't they?
........purple sativa!?

Night4wings20

I promised,a seed.
I get to the seed
And,what next ? "mile high" grow
Pigeons carry some kind of flu? don't they?
........purple sativa!?

Do you mean mountain growing by mile high grow?

Pigeons can carry all kinds of nasties, rats with wings haha.

Viva purple sativa! Imagine what that plant will look like when you walk up to it for seeds. Add the amazing Greek scenery and I think you have a wonderful trip on your hands my friend :)

Granted everything goes well of course, plans can change quickly as we all know :)

Maybe a purple sativa jar plant cob?

R

red23

Hope all is well and the weather is nice Red :)

Hi N.,and, all is good my friend.
Weather has been good the last couple of days,and took the opportunity to do some asking around on all things we have discussed here.
And things, as far as greek landraces goes, don't look so good
Was very sceptical about sending seeds abroad for preservation,but as you pointed out ,it was the right decision.
Working "pacific" time:) again,I will elaborate on that after my morning coffee and haze

Night4wings20

Hi N.,and, all is good my friend.
Weather has been good the last couple of days,and took the opportunity to do some asking around on all things we have discussed here.
And things, as far as greek landraces goes, don't look so good
Was very sceptical about sending seeds abroad for preservation,but as you pointed out ,it was the right decision.
Working "pacific" time:) again,I will elaborate on that after my morning coffee and haze

Glad to hear my friend :)
Does this mean that the contamination of greek landraces has already happened? That sucks!
It was only an option I suggested (I think you were already thinking about it anyway) there could be more options in terms of preservation but I haven't thought of it.
I'm always on AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time)

Enjoy your morning break :)

R

red23

Glad to hear my friend :)
Does this mean that the contamination of greek landraces has already happened? That sucks!
It was only an option I suggested (I think you were already thinking about it anyway) there could be more options in terms of preservation but I haven't thought of it.
I'm always on AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time)

Enjoy your morning break :)
Contamination is an issue ,and that's why I gave up on Peloponnese(kalamata red),three years ago, where the problem seems to be even greater?.....
What's most alarming, had the experience within my own four walls, is the lack of knowledge/interest in anything "pure" greek by the majority of the younger generation

R

red23

Contamination is an issue ,and that's why I gave up on Peloponnese(kalamata red),three years ago, where the problem seems to be even greater?.....
What's most alarming, had the experience within my own four walls, is the lack of knowledge/interest in anything "pure" greek by the majority of the younger generation
.....and spent some time looking after these ladies.Had them a bit neglected

Attachments

• IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 89

Night4wings20

.....and spent some time looking after these ladies.Had them a bit neglected

Who knows maybe someone smart enough to keep the strain pure and grown inside so there was little to no chance of open-pollination, one can hope :)

At least you have the Highland strain to work with and Delic/Bio has their Kalamata Red varieties :) There is still some hope for pure greek lines to be alive and thriving somewhere around the globe :)

R

red23

Who knows maybe someone smart enough to keep the strain pure and grown inside so there was little to no chance of open-pollination, one can hope :)

At least you have the Highland strain to work with and Delic/Bio has their Kalamata Red varieties :) There is still some hope for pure greek lines to be alive and thriving somewhere around the globe :)
Started trading
Given out a few ,sativa hybrids(non greek),and,will start collecting once this new cold front is out of the way
I have taken "Big Bird" out or current grow room, was compromising the others growth.
Might, because I've been offered, take her literally next door with a bulb?

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 86

Night4wings20

Started trading
Given out a few ,sativa hybrids(non greek),and,will start collecting once this new cold front is out of the way
I have taken "Big Bird" out or current grow room, was compromising the others growth.
Might, because I've been offered, take her literally next door with a bulb?

Exciting times ahead :)
Has the artic cold front hit all the way down to Greece? Wow that's amazing.
Do you mean big lady highland sativa? Where is she now, another grow room?
Keep her going mate anyway you can, I want to see how she finishes up! :)

R

red23

Exciting times ahead :)
Has the artic cold front hit all the way down to Greece? Wow that's amazing.
Do you mean big lady highland sativa? Where is she now, another grow room?
Keep her going mate anyway you can, I want to see how she finishes up! :)
Hi N.:) Different room, and a foot more and we are temporarily in trouble
These extreme up and down temp variations, can happen in no time, especially overnight drops (expecting a sudden drop from a healthy 17C to 5C day temps),has a direct impact to current grow room
Highland red has stretched and is stressed by that factor , and,the unknown quantity of how she will behave indoors,I'm not doing her justice
Outdoors would have been an easier matter to deal with
Will do my best

R

red23

Hi N.:) Different room, and a foot more and we are temporarily in trouble
These extreme up and down temp variations, can happen in no time, especially overnight drops (expecting a sudden drop from a healthy 17C to 5C day temps),has a direct impact to current grow room
Highland red has stretched and is stressed by that factor , and,the unknown quantity of how she will behave indoors,I'm not doing her justice
Will do my best
Got 3 very "old" Afgani seeds :biggrin:
Somewhat difficult plant, long flowering, and low yielding for greek summers

Night4wings20

Hi N. Different room, and a foot more and we are temporarily in trouble
Will do my best

She must be stretching for the ceiling haha, glad to hear she is okay for the most part with how the weather has been in your area :)
I'm sure you will have another chance (if you want to) to grow the strain out again, you've already learnt a lot by growing big lady sativa :)

Got 3 very "old" Afgani seeds :biggrin:
Somewhat difficult plant, long flowering, and low yielding for greek summers

Afghani is very good for breeding from what I've read. I've grown a few Afghani plants and they were good for hash making :) If you grow it outside or even inside the plant will acclimatize to your areas weather conditions over time. That is if you breed the Afghani of course.

R

red23

She must be stretching for the ceiling haha, glad to hear she is okay for the most part with how the weather has been in your area :)
I'm sure you will have another chance (if you want to) to grow the strain out again, you've already learnt a lot by growing big lady sativa :)

Afghani is very good for breeding from what I've read. I've grown a few Afghani plants and they were good for hash making :) If you grow it outside or even inside the plant will acclimatize to your areas weather conditions over time. That is if you breed the Afghani of course.
Afgani is an excellent smoke:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_4548.jpg
    IMG_4548.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts

Latest posts