What's new

GN Zamal

exoticrobotic

Subbed...

Also, love seeing those old Seedsman Haze matchbook style packaging... brings me back.

I grew GN's Laotian, can't wait to see what comes of this!

Good luck @exoticrobotic!!

Good to have you onboard @Dirt Life

It takes me back each time i open the seed box. I've kept all the old packaging and for a time was obsessive about collecting hazes so have a few different ones.

I couldn't resist the Zamal in Gypsy's collection all those years ago. I was really tempted by the others aswell but never bought any.

How was the GN Laotian?

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I am interested on how you crack your beans before you put them in your Pete pots. I’m assuming you physically crack the shell but I’m curious as how you do that without crushing the cotyledon… i’ve tried it in the past using pliers, and I guess I have too heavy of a hand. I roll up sandpaper and put it inside of a pill bottle with the abrasive facing in, I tossed my beans in there, and I rattled them around for about five minutes which weaken the seams…a quick dunk in hydrogen peroxide and they’re off to the races… good luck in your endeavor

exoticrobotic

I am interested on how you crack your beans before you put them in your Pete pots. I’m assuming you physically crack the shell but I’m curious as how you do that without crushing the cotyledon… i’ve tried it in the past using pliers, and I guess I have too heavy of a hand. I roll up sandpaper and put it inside of a pill bottle with the abrasive facing in, I tossed my beans in there, and I rattled them around for about five minutes which weaken the seams…a quick dunk in hydrogen peroxide and they’re off to the races… good luck in your endeavor

Hey Boo

i wear a Jeweler's eye piece magnifying loupe, get the seed between finger and thumb and crack the seam with pointy side of the seed facing outwards with tweezers.

The hydrogen peroxide soak with an airstone bubbling through it at full force helps weaken this seam which otherwise never tends to open on old seeds.

After spending a couple of hours crouched over with tweezers this morning i noticed i had a black eye from me gripping the loupe. Arrrr 🏴‍☠️

:rasta:

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Hey Boo

i wear a Jeweler's eye piece magnifying loupe, get the seed between finger and thumb and crack the seam with pointy side of the seed facing outwards with tweezers.

The hydrogen peroxide soak with an airstone bubbling through it at full force helps weaken this seam which otherwise never tends to open on old seeds.

After spending a couple of hours crouched over with tweezers this morning i noticed i had a black eye from me gripping the loupe. Arrrr 🏴‍☠️

That’s too funny the loop giving you a blackeye… I have got hundreds of hundreds of seeds from back in the overgrow days and I was considering popping some when I have some room to play in my veg tent and I was concerned that if I use anything besides my fingers I would crush the beans… I’m gonna pull up a chair and watch and see how this works out for you. Again all the best….😉

420empire

Veteran
Subbed ! really hope you get them to pop. Really dig your method would luv to try it out. Hydroxperoxide due wonders! tried the compost method, it was rotting..Think theres is to much funk going on in a compost, better then paper towel though. Keep us posted bro, wish u good luck;)

ahortator

Veteran
It ia amazing! You have a great treasure! I hope some of them sprout! If they have been kept in the fridge all the time, there would be no problem about germination.
I have noticed they germinate better if you sow them 3 or 4 days before the full moon, or along the 3 days after the full moon. Farmers here use to sow seeds after the full moon. They just avoid to sow the seeds the same day of the full moon.

I keep my fingers corssed.

exoticrobotic

I have noticed they germinate better if you sow them 3 or 4 days before the full moon

Thanks for the advice @ahortator and best with the seeds @elchischas

They've been in peat plugs for a week on a heat mat and it's full moon here in 3 days time.

I'm scanning the black peat regularly for any hints of lighter colours but so far nothing but light shining off the peat. I can see a couple of seeds on top of the peat but i'm sure it's from me watering rather than them pushing upwards but i hope some will pop.

15 years ago they took a few weeks to pop up so i'll give them a few weeks more, then, if they don't pop i'll put the peat pots into a larger pot and grow something else :rasta:

A few years back, when i was germinating 15 year old seeds, a few didnt pop and i put their compost as a top dress for other flowering plants. Towards the end of the other flowering plants, 2 seedlings showed up, must've been 3 months after i tried to germinated them but it popped. So we'll see with fingers crossed.

I am determined to get some of these to sprout one way or another.

After the h202 soak i noticed some of the embryos were popping out of the shells.

Another person posted recently about embryo rescue which i will also try with the remaining 75 seeds if these ones don't pop.

I've also bought all the stuff for tissue culture and will try that too.

Thanks for stopping in and all the advice.

ahortator

Veteran
You are welcome! @exoticrobotic
As you have grown them before I am sure you are aware of the intersex tendencies of Zamal. Usually I try to avoid hermies, but in such case, as this I wouldn't cull the hermies as actual males are extremely rare. With such rare great landraces even hermies worth.

Also I know this Zamal shows an autoflowering trait, but they can flower for more than 30 weeks. It is very interesting, because with the proper timing you can get ripe buds scorching under the sun in the middle of the summer.

Greetings and good luck! ;)
(y):tiphat:

exoticrobotic

As you have grown them before I am sure you are aware of the intersex tendencies of Zamal. Usually I try to avoid hermies, but in such case, as this I wouldn't cull the hermies as actual males are extremely rare. With such rare great landraces even hermies worth.

I would welcome all @ahortator but alas, so far, no sign of life in the old beans yet.

I'm gutted :(

It will be a month this Sunday that the Zamals have been in moist Peat plugs, nice and snug but still nothing popping. If i were them maybe i wouldn't pop either as it's been a touch on the cold side in the room they are in.

Also I know this Zamal shows an autoflowering trait, but they can flower for more than 30 weeks. It is very interesting, because with the proper timing you can get ripe buds scorching under the sun in the middle of the summer.

I am now remembering them under flouros more, what a lovely smoke and would be great for a scrog under hps/cmh. I will try to attempt tissue culture embryo rescure ninja chanting skills on the other batch of 75. The 75 that are left are all in bags where the type hasn't bled so maybe kept under better moisture conditions.

The 75 in the Peat plugs will be carefully placed on top of the compost of the next grow, maybe a few will pop after some more time.

But now I now need to think about getting a smoke growing as i will run out soon enough and the kids are starting to ask about all the peat pots around.

What's up bro! Didn't know you had another diary going, loved the romulan one. If these don't pop what are you planning?

Hey @nick11 Glad to see you liked the rom diary. I'm still verrry much enjoying the smoke.

These Zamals not popping have me in a slight dilemma. I need a smoke but am worried about my other old seeds now, maybe they are now degrading.

So i've decided to try to pop some of these bad boys and gals and chuck a bit of their pollen about on a few branches.

IMG_2762.jpg

I feel a bit funny doing a diary of them here (if they even pop that is) as really maybe it should be on another site, Ot1's former home, but i hope they may be comfortable here as it would be great for non uk people to see some different plants. The fact they are made by the great gardener and preservationalist Oldtimer1 (RIP legend), and having tried some of his other wares - Smile, i know they will be 🔥🔥🔥

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. Don't worry too much! I have seen once a seed sprouting after four months. The key is no allow them to rot. I have noticed that seeds I cracked usually fail to sprout, and they finally rot. So I don't crack seeds anymore.

@Dogtown posted this: https://www.icmag.com/threads/vinta...tion-and-micro-propagation-techniques.334232/
It needs to be directly into de worm bin as with worm castings bought from the store doesn't work. I am currently looking for worms to try it.
Just keep the seeds humid and wait. Also cold temps don't help. Don't throw the towel!

Greetings!

nick11

Veteran
Hi. Don't worry too much! I have seen once a seed sprouting after four months. The key is no allow them to rot. I have noticed that seeds I cracked usually fail to sprout, and they finally rot. So I don't crack seeds anymore.

@Dogtown posted this: https://www.icmag.com/threads/vinta...tion-and-micro-propagation-techniques.334232/
It needs to be directly into de worm bin as with worm castings bought from the store doesn't work. I am currently looking for worms to try it.
Just keep the seeds humid and wait. Also cold temps don't help. Don't throw the towel!

Greetings!
Very wise words, good points. I've had the same experience.

ankhori

I would welcome all @ahortator but alas, so far, no sign of life in the old beans yet.

I'm gutted :(

It will be a month this Sunday that the Zamals have been in moist Peat plugs, nice and snug but still nothing popping. If i were them maybe i wouldn't pop either as it's been a touch on the cold side in the room they are in.

I am now remembering them under flouros more, what a lovely smoke and would be great for a scrog under hps/cmh. I will try to attempt tissue culture embryo rescure ninja chanting skills on the other batch of 75. The 75 that are left are all in bags where the type hasn't bled so maybe kept under better moisture conditions.

The 75 in the Peat plugs will be carefully placed on top of the compost of the next grow, maybe a few will pop after some more time.

But now I now need to think about getting a smoke growing as i will run out soon enough and the kids are starting to ask about all the peat pots around.

Hey @nick11 Glad to see you liked the rom diary. I'm still verrry much enjoying the smoke.

These Zamals not popping have me in a slight dilemma. I need a smoke but am worried about my other old seeds now, maybe they are now degrading.

So i've decided to try to pop some of these bad boys and gals and chuck a bit of their pollen about on a few branches.

View attachment 18956502

I feel a bit funny doing a diary of them here (if they even pop that is) as really maybe it should be on another site, Ot1's former home, but i hope they may be comfortable here as it would be great for non uk people to see some different plants. The fact they are made by the great gardener and preservationalist Oldtimer1 (RIP legend), and having tried some of his other wares - Smile, i know they will be 🔥🔥🔥

So sorry, I feel you. For some reasons I dont know, some strains take a lot of time to germinate, I supose more the older the seeds are. Still if Im you I wait more time, maybe they will germinate in 3 weeks more. Still dont surrender!!

Funny you mention Oldtimer1 because my next grow will be Oldtimer Haze, from seeds I made a few years ago. Absolutly amazing strain, very different from what to expect to a modern hybrid, but in very good way.

In the spanish forum we are ressurrectin some Hazes, make new selections and pheno hunts, of course the clones will be shared in spanish cannabis community and probably will pass to international cannabis community scene, after all is in nature of humans to share.

Haze is a very special strain, I still dont see any cannabis smoker to say dont like Haze, you can like a lot indica strains but still aprecciate the special of Haze elite clones.

Wish you a lot of luck, I read a lot of things about Zamal strain and all very good.

exoticrobotic

@exoticrobotic Are you gonna germinate the last 75 Zamal? Hope some of them germinate (y)

Hi @PPP

I will certainly have a go at germinating the remaining 75. Most likely in batches of ten using ga3 and/or tissue culture.

I bought all the tissue culture kit and was ready to do it there and then but by the time it all showed up with the fancy 0.1mm Titanium tipped tweezers my stashpile was getting low.

So i'm currently growing 6 oldtimes and 5 smile x diesels.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts