What's new

Getting off the "Bottle".... how I DIY ALL my nutes.

Legalcdn

Is this calmag that you are making?
If so,

Cal-Mag Plus
Nitrogen 200
Magnesium 120
Calcium 259
Sulfur 160
Iron 10.00

Grams
Calcium Nitrate 488.9
Magnesium Sulfate 464.0
Iron Chelate 38.57
Volume of Stock Solutions 1 gal.
Dilution Rate 100

Ensure they are dissolved in separate bottles first (Just mentioning but I am sure you know this).

For jacks, i would make 3 separate bottles. Personally I prefer to mix as needed so I can adjust as needed.

Good work on this thread Negative37.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Is this calmag that you are making?
If so,

Cal-Mag Plus
Nitrogen 200
Magnesium 120
Calcium 259
Sulfur 160
Iron 10.00

Grams
Calcium Nitrate 488.9
Magnesium Sulfate 464.0
Iron Chelate 38.57
Dilution Rate 100

Ensure they are dissolved in separate bottles first (Just mentioning but I am sure you know this).

For jacks, i would make 3 separate bottles. Personally I prefer to mix as needed so I can adjust as needed.

Good work on this thread Negative37.
So you are using a nearly 1 to 1 ratio then...ok I had read about that a bit as well. I am a well bit off then.
Hey thanks for the nice comment there. I am fairly new at the mixing additives game, been doing Jacks for awhile now. Math is important here, I was good in school..except for Math..lol.
I really appreciate everyone's input to the thread. Been good stuff and money saving info as well. You can grow top shelf meds with not a whole lot....
Thanks all, negative.

Mont@n@

Nitrates and sulphate won’t mix, It will precipitate. With that mix you will end up with gipsum (white flakes at the bottom)

Magnesium Nitrate: 125.493 Grams

fe DTPA 10% or 11%: 10 Grams

Calcium Nitrate: 168.109 Grams

1 liter Reverse Osmosis water

Nitrogen
NO3: 3.8%
NH4: 0.1852%
total nitrogen: 3.985%

Calcium: 3.2%
Magnesium: 1.2%
Iron: 0.1%
DIY Cal Mag + 1 Liter.jpg
5C31E404-DCEF-4564-B8B9-D0F44C63C860.jpeg

Last edited:

negative37dBA

Veteran
"Nitrates and sulphate won’t mix, It will precipitate. With that mix you will end up with gipsum (white flakes at the bottom)"

Incorrect Sir...have you even done it yourself? If you do it correctly it is fine.

COS

Why mix the calcium nitrate first?

How much calcium nitrate are you adding throughout the bloom stage?

COS

I use jacks and there 5-12-26 use to only have the slower releasing ammonium nitrate now it got switched to nitrogen nitrate. And my plants look like there getting to much N now.

Koondense

Veteran
Master blend says to mix in correct order to get it done properly.
First MB(or Jacks), second mag sulphate, third calcium nitrate. The MB ratios are 1:0.5:1 and seem to be an excellent mix.

Cheers

COS

I'm trying to get away from cal mag but now that I'm under led thats not happening any time soon. But I'm more concerned with having to much N in flower. The part A has 5% the calmag %2 and the calcium nitrate 15% thats alot of N for bloom.
And I'm noticing delayed bud onset with a few of my crosses and taking longer to finish and I believe this is from having to much N in flower because the leds are so efficient in absorbing more of the available N to them, where as under HID less available.

COS

I'm also finding running a higher ph under led of 6.3 is helping alot with cal/mag defs. However this is only my 3rd grow with led so it could be plant genitics.

Absolem

Personally I would avoid mixing calcium nitrate with magnesium sulfate. When mixed together they form calcium sulfate which has low solubility.

It's the main reason most fertilizer companies keep the two separate in their A and B formulas.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
KNF water soluble calcium and magnesium sulfate work awesome together. They also work amazingly well individually, which is very helpful when you only need one and not the other.

They're natural, inexpensive and there's so little effort involved I don't see any reason to spend so much energy chasing a 'cal/mag' replacement.

Absolem

KNF water soluble calcium and magnesium sulfate work awesome together. They also work amazingly well individually, which is very helpful when you only need one and not the other.

They're natural, inexpensive and there's so little effort involved I don't see any reason to spend so much energy chasing a 'cal/mag' replacement.
I agree.

However when mixing concentrated stock solutions they don't play so nicely together. It's not about a calmag product. I mix up 4 solutions. A, B, C(Agsil 16), and D(bloom booster),

negative37dBA

Veteran
So I have went the way of mixing separate solutions for Calcium and Magnesium and Iron needs. I feel like it gives me even more control of giving them what they need...Yes a bit more time consuming to add 3 sep items but I got time so no matter to me. I love control..lol.
Grams
Calcium Nitrate 488.9
Magnesium Sulfate 464.0
Iron Chelate 38.57
I .25 this to make a quart of each. Working well so far. I am at day 49 with current run and things are looking well.
Peace, negative.

negative37dBA

Veteran
End week 7, day 50. Seeded GG4 clone only bud with Dough G pollen....mmmmm
Jacks 321
Calcium
Magnesium
Iron
MPK
Revitalize and 1 dose of Silica.
That's it.
Looking forward to smoking on these. Prolly go 65-70 days. Picture taking is not my strong suit. In fact I suck at it. This would be one of the tops that is getting well over 1000 ppfd. A bit to much and it is showing some defs. I did a crap job of canopy maint this run...limited by my injury. The lowers look much better.
end week7 gg4 seeded - Copy.jpg

Peace and Jacks for the win!
negative

Artful Codger

Just checking in with a plant from my first run with dry nutes. Jack's 3-2-1 and Drip Clean via a Blumat in 100% coco. So far, so good. This plant is a contest entry...that's why it's all by itself in a 2x4. Three gallon fabric pot and 4 week veg, per contest rules. Pic was taken day one of the third week of flower.

Artful Codger F3.jpg

mexweed

Veteran
whatever base you're using ---> epsom ---> calnit

if you're adding mkp and sop I do them after the epsom

this mix will buffer municipal tap water to an ideal ph

if you're using potassium silicate it goes first before the base and give it time to go into solution, fulvic acid goes last after the calnit

coxnox

Veteran
I have an excel spreadsheet to compare over 60 nutrient brands if anyone wants it. You can use google sheets also with it.
do you have canna cogr vega/flores and Canna aqua vega/flores in it ?

or does anyone have the exact number for that one ? would like to see if i miss something or not, i use straight base + silica and calmag(if needed).

mexweed

Veteran
so masterblend/epsom/calnit actually makes municipal tap a bit acidic 5-5.5, I just tested a mixture after not having tested a mix for a long time, I swear one time it came out perfect, I would guess the coco I was using helped buffer it

Latest posts

Latest posts