What's new

For Anyone (USA only) who is on Medicare and an Advantage Program (Part C)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Old age sux. No doubt about it. However, every black cloud has a silver lining. My silver lining was in finding out that most every "Advantage Plan" (Part D) that you are getting with your Medicare includes a benefit called SILVER SNEAKERS.

This benefit may be (and, usually is) included with your Part D Advantage Plan.

What this benefit is, in plain terms, is a free gym membership to (most likely) every single gym and fitness center in your city or town. As well as free membership to the YMCA.

At our age, exercise is directly related to the quality of life (which gets fucking worse every day LOL).

This is FREE.

C'mon guys. You're all fat and out of shape (apologies to the 1% that aren't LOL)

Membership also includes a totally cool weekly email that gives tips for old fucks like us on eating, sleeping and exercising. Nice tips on things you can do while sitting at your computer.

Just tossing this out as I have paid for gym memberships for many decades and this was a totally awesome benefit to my Part D plan.

You can check it out here...

https://www.silversneakers.com/

and, check your eligibility here... https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/CheckEligibility

Anything to relieve some of this pain. :)

right

Thank you Ringodoggie , this is awesome. I'm going to check into this after thanksgiving

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Nice - I'll get my free bus pass next March - when I turn 60 - We don't get free gym memberships on the NHS over here in the UK - so far as I know -

Ringodoggie

Premium user
LMAO... so the greedy ass gov and big business finally legalized pot out of total greed. And, then end up buying it for us and giving it to us for free.... LMAO.... for once in my life, I would say it doesn't suck to be old. LMAO Free weed for over 65. Let's get it on the ballot... LMAO

I always knew I'd die miserable, in the gutter with a belly full of bad booze but if I ever lived long enough to see that, at least I would die laughing.

buzzmobile

Veteran
My Silver Sneaker benefit came from my state. At 65 my hunting/fishing license is now gratis for as long as I stay above ground. Woods and beaches make great gyms.
:D

right

My Silver Sneaker benefit came from my state. At 65 my hunting/fishing license is now gratis for as long as I stay above ground. Woods and beaches make great gyms.
:D

I get my hunting and fishing 1/2price with this . You got to get a golden acess passport free national parks us forest service , and blm . I get a lot of use out of it .

Attachments

• 20191128_054400.jpg
    20191128_054400.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 74

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Those used to be $10. Now, they are $80 for a lifetime and / or $20 per year.

On August 28, 2017, the price of the America the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass increased for the first time since 1994. The additional revenue will be used to enhance the visitor experience in parks. Learn more about the changes, what they mean for you, and how the additional funds will be used.
Why did the price of the Senior Pass increase?
The price of the America the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass increased as result of the Centennial Legislation P.L. 114-289 passed by the US Congress onDecember 16, 2016.
When was the last time the price increased for the Senior Pass?
The Senior Pass has been $10 since 1994.
How much did it increase?
The lifetime Senior Pass increased from $10 to $80.
Why $80?
The legislation states that the cost of the lifetime Senior Pass be equal to the cost of the annual America the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass, which is currently $80.
What if a senior citizen is on a fixed budget?
The legislation also establishes an annual Senior Pass for $20. That pass is valid for one year from the date of issuance. Four annual Senior Passes purchased in prior years can be traded in for a lifetime pass. Additionally, access to the majority of National Park Service sites remains free—only 118 of 417 National Park Service sites have an entrance fee.
What if I have a current Senior Pass?
The current passes are lifetime passes and will remain valid.

right

Hey Ringodoggie, this one . The golden acess is different than the senior pass . This one is absolutely free , and good for life

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Looks like I might have missed out on that.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Additional information:
  • The Access Pass may provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services.
  • The Access Pass generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
  • Golden Access Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass.

White Beard

Ringo, I don’t think a Part D plan is necessary: it seems any Advantage plan carries the same perk. What’s required is that you buy into one of the big health monsters - Kaiser, Humana, Aetna, etc. then they own you and your Medicare.

Not saying it’s a bad deal, just saying it’s why I haven’t signed up for an advantage plan: I may not know where I’m going, but at least I’m driving....

LOVE my lifetime park pass...jumped on it for $10 before Trump regime put the price up 700%

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I think Part D and an "Advantage Plan" are the same thing. They try to make it as confusing as possible but I read governmentese most of my life so I am a little familiar with the language. LOL

And, as I understand, there are 3 levels of Advantage plans. Free, about 30 bux a month and about 80 bux a month. Obviously, out of pocket and co-pays go down as the plan premium goes up.

Then, there are Medicare "Supplements" (AKA Medigap). Usually 150 to 200 a month. Different than Advantage plans.

If you are over 65 and you have not signed up for a plan yet, I believe you will be penalized and pay more per month when they catch you. It's ever-changing so I could be wrong.

The best way to go (if you can afford it) is the "Supplement". You pay a lot more per month but you never ever ever ever pay anything else. No co-pays, no deducible and no limits.

The Advantage plans all have different co-pays and out of pocket limits.

Under the Obama Health Care Initiative, you MUST sign up for an Advantage plan (AKA Part D) within so many months of when you turned 65. Otherwise they fine you every month the rest of you life. I believe Trump stopped all that nonsense but I don;t really give a fuck so I don't know for sure 100%. LOL

EDIT: OK, Part D is the Prescription plan. Part C is the Advantage Plan. Sorry.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey Gypsy, can you please edit the title of the thread to read PART C instead of PART D?

Thanks

EDIT: Thank you

White Beard

Under the Obama Health Care Initiative, you MUST sign up for an Advantage plan (AKA Part D) within so many months of when you turned 65. Otherwise they fine you every month the rest of you life. I believe Trump stopped all that nonsense but I don;t really give a fuck so I don't know for sure 100%. LOL

Not true: there is a “change window” every year (Oct-Dec), during which dropping or adding plans is without penalty. Changing your coverage outside that window has penalties as I understand, but I have never felt the need to modify my plan, so it’s never mattered.

What you *NEED* to do is sign up for part A, which is hospitalization (inpatient) coverage, and part B, which is medical (outpatient) coverage. I went through all this a few years ago, it was nerve-wracking, but that’s the beef: sign up for A and B. You’ll have until next year to decide whether your coverage has been good enough or wants changing. Do that and you’re golden.

Medicare Advantage (part C) is bundled benefits for Medicare recipients who sign up with the HMO or PPO offering those benefits. My current doctor and current services and current costs are perfect for me: I have nothing complicated going more complicated than life itself, and nothing more toxic, either.

I keep shopping those advantage plans, but I see more complications than benefits in aligning with big health insurance.

Part D is the infamous prescription drug swindle.
If I ever need it, I’m sure I’ll know it, but until then, you can keep it.

If I’d been able to get this coverage at comparable rates 50 years ago - well, there *weren't* HMOs and such 50 years ago, and a doctors visit was less than $20, and even expensive medicine was cheap.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
OK, thanks for the clarification. So, can I just have plain Medicare with no supplement (AKA Medigap) and no Advantage Plan? I thought that was against the rules.

I like the Advantage plan only because it' less than 30 bux and my gym memberships have been about 30 bux a month for decades. So, I figure it's actually a wash.

Thanks again for the info.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Sooo, I have to sign up for this crap now. Is the silver sneakers - or any health club thing - a good way to hang out at their pool and see if the women have decent tits, er I mean boobs?

Just wondering. May be OK if you live in a big condo, but not way out in the woods.

I don't use the Medicinal inductrial complex much you see... screw em.

As for national parks, there was a time when they would hire old folks who weren't parasites to be "rangers". What a cool job, hanging around the campfire and telling old school stories.

And hitting on the old women tourists. Plant a seed here and there...

https://www.nps.gov/getinvolved/volunteer.htm

White Beard

OK, thanks for the clarification. So, can I just have plain Medicare with no supplement (AKA Medigap) and no Advantage Plan? I thought that was against the rules.

I like the Advantage plan only because it' less than 30 bux and my gym memberships have been about 30 bux a month for decades. So, I figure it's actually a wash.

Thanks again for the info.
That’s the way I have it. Just plain Medicare, straight up. It really seemed like I was missing something big, and got real frazzled over whether I was going to screw myself, but What I figured out is that you *don’t* have to figure that out, you don’t have to choose any of that, and it was a real relief to figure that out.

Medicare takes $30/month premium; it’s taken out of SocSec payment. With an advantage plan, that $30 goes to the HMO/PPO that runs your plan. An HMO plan might be just the thing for you.

So far, for me, Medicare is the best ‘health insurance’ I’ve ever had: the best coverage, the most affordable, the lowest deductible. Medicare has made me a big fan of Medicare.

Latest posts

Latest posts