What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Feral Cannabis of the Midwest

norm

I wanted to share a few pics of this naturally sinsemilla wild plant I found growing near me in the upper Midwest. These are a remnant of the hemp industry which thrived here briefly in the 1940s. There are plenty of stands of hemp along the railroad tracks here, mostly extremely seeded without much resin. This one reminds me a litle of a Bangi Haze I grew, with a smooth & fruity aroma, and decent trichomes. I took her home and have her curing right now...

Super interesting plants... Even with a relatively short growing season here, I found 8-9 feet tall plants covered in seedy buds, many of them ripe by September 1 (although with a very large variance, the one pictured was collected around October 15). And the plant structure & terpenes are very unlike anything you'd get at the dispensary. No skunk at all, rather they mostly have lemony, fruity aromas. I found one that smelled exactly like cat piss, and another that was something similar to garlic...

A UMN study in 2020 found that roughly 1% of hemp (collected in MN) contains the genes for a high THC:CBD ratio, although the THC content was usually very low. Another 10% had a 1:1 THC:CBD ratio. Without fancy testing equipment, I wonder how I could find male & female individuals with the THC genes. I am thinking if I spend the next few years smoking lots of sample buds from a lot of hemp plants, perhaps I could find some worthwhile females. I'd love to grow some super early, hardy as fuck, old school weed. Even if I could achieve 3-5% potency it would be extremely worthwhile. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

Anybody know how to judge whether a male plant will produce THC or CBD? I think this might be the most challenging piece of the puzzle.

Here's a fun tour of a hemp patch I found on another icmag thread

Attachments

• IMG_1677 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1677 Large.jpeg
    731.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1678 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1678 Large.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

Landwolf

I wonder if thats the way that ancient people found the good stuff. One at a time. I wonder if there's certain parts of male plants that have higher thc than others.

I like the history in that video, thanks for sharing. Looks like the sinsemilla pictures have resin on their trichomes.

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the late 80s, early 90s I was stationed at Fort Riley KS.
One night, while camping, somehow some LSD seems to have mysteriously got in my system. Two things stand out from that night:
1) I don't recommend LSD for the first time you fish in a region that has gar fish! I had never seen one, or even heard of one and when I reeled one in, my mind almost broke! Lol
2) I walked into a forest of plants that I SWORE was pot! I was sure at that point I would never come down! But, morning after, they were still there. I had never stood in a patch that large! The plants were over my height and fully blooming. Of course, that's when I learned it was feral hemp, but I will never forget that night. Lol

phunkeeboodah

i lived in northwest iowa in 99/00 and hemp stands were common on country roads and corners. some plants i saw on a trail were alien like in smell and appearance, but nobody was smoking any of it since it was all hemp variety

i feel bad but in the small town i was in, an elderly woman lived in a house on the corner near me and had a single 6 foot tall fully budded plant a few feet from the sidewalk with no fence or anything. it looked like skunk #1 or something and smelled nice and i stole it and smoked some of it and no high

Latest posts

Latest posts