What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Easy method for old beans

Janborrego

Wheeewww! Where'd these C99 NL come from? Sweet! Love Cindy.

I gotta try this on some of my insane Headband f2's from way back.
Someone on Another forum. I have both C99 and NL going. We will see if I get a male of c99 the NL were fems otherwise. The ones I grew flowered the minute I put them outside in March. I harvested them already. The didn't get big because they didn't have enough time in veg.,My first time trying to squeeze in 3 harvests in one year outside. I can grow here from March 1st thru mid Dec. I started my first crop inside in Jan. March 1st they were outside. Harvested them between May 16th and last week. Now I am on the Sumner grow. Mid July I will start autos to go outside after I harvest between Mid Aug the mid Sept. Maui Waui run long, so I have been told. I use a scope to tell me when to harvest. I will be planting the beadt mode crosses I have in my grow room currently. There are GDP, WW and WW xTrainwreck. All were pollinated by beast mode pollen. This is beast mode. She was over 6 ft tall and has been bent many times. She was always in my lights at 6 ft. I had the bottom kind of stripped so when I put her outdide I got her pretty deep. We have s lot of wind. I Also staked her well. She was root bound and mad at me. I think I addressed her issues. She is looking better. This is an auto flower.
IMG_5936.jpeg

Janborrego

Ok update on the c99 from 2016 they are getting very big. Ended up with one male and one female. The cat ate the 3rd one. I have a small clone going if it roots.
IMG_6939.jpeg
3 are maui waui. I collected pollen from the male maui.,The clones will get hit with pollen.

Attachments

• IMG_6941.jpeg
    IMG_6941.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

Janborrego

I just harvested c99. The c99 x NL were not. They ended up being an auto. The c99 were from 2016. From this seed run I got C99 fresh beans. Then I accidentally pollinated my whole crop. Got c99 crossed with NL, pineapple skunk, Black Alaska Purple, Sour Vengeance, and White widow.. c99 I am still collecting seeds have a 4 ounce tin so far. The maui I collected pollen only. I have 3 just a few weeks in flower I dont think the are going to finishI heard the flower 12 weeks I don't think I have 12 weeks left of decent temps. It could happen. Out Latest first frost was Dec. 21 a few years ago. It is usually around Thankdhiving.

Captain Red Eye

Make sure they hit the freezer first, Jan.

I'm seeking clarification, are you saying it may be beneficial to put old weed seeds in freezer for a time period before removing them to attempt germination?

If that is your suggestion, is that process similar to scarification, like how blueberry (the actual berries, not the weed strain) seeds are treated prior to germination? Curious what you think the benefit freezer time will give to older weed seeds?

Just the other day, I was wondering about taking some old seeds which have not been stored in a freezer and giving them some time in the freezer before attempting germination, as I have a few older seeds (10 -15 years plus) I'm considering attempting to pop and trying to come up with a plan.

I've had some success with older seeds, but often they get a little root tail, then never get past that stage, never start making add'l. root hairs. Other times a seedling will emerge and then never quite do anything. Maybe some cotyledons and one set of tiny leaves and then not much else... I also tried swearing at them, didn't seem to help. :)

Janborrego

I'm seeking clarification, are you saying it may be beneficial to put old weed seeds in freezer for a time period before removing them to attempt germination?

If that is your suggestion, is that process similar to scarification, like how blueberry (the actual berries, not the weed strain) seeds are treated prior to germination? Curious what you think the benefit freezer time will give to older weed seeds?

Just the other day, I was wondering about taking some old seeds which have not been stored in a freezer and giving them some time in the freezer before attempting germination, as I have a few older seeds (10 -15 years plus) I'm considering attempting to pop and trying to come up with a plan.

I've had some success with older seeds, but often they get a little root tail, then never get past that stage, never start making add'l. root hairs. Other times a seedling will emerge and then never quite do anything. Maybe some cotyledons and one set of tiny leaves and then not much else... I also tried swearing at them, didn't seem to help. :)
I keep all of my beans in the fridge now, not the freezer. I know a few people that keep beans in the freezer. I did get c99 beans from 2016 to germ and grow. I got a male and a female. It led me to do a seed run. They were pollinated inside for 2 weeks . Afterwards I put the male in the dumpster and the female was hosed down. Later in the day I noticed someone left the dumpster lid open. I closed it. I always close it. I don't like the cats getting in there. My grandson takes out the trash.
Who knows how long the lid was open. All my crops except Maui and choc haze X Lemon cherry gelato got pollinated. They were not in flower yet as they both took longer to reach flower stage. Everything was outside so I don't know why. I have a long grow season so we will see.

Zivilpolizist

Veteran

At proper seedbanks they always store their seeds in fridges, which is best for conservation since they don't sell many year old seeds at all if it's a legit business.

Those temps don't damage the seeds and just slow down the biological process of the seeds aging.

Putting seeds into your freezer on the other hand will most likely damage at least the shell of the seeds.
Imho the inside of the seed expands and cracks the shell a little just like if you put a glass bottle filled with water into your freezer.

Which is why growers use this method to help very old seeds germ.
Just like cracking the shell, sandpapering them or using h2o2 to destroy the surface of the seed's shell a little.

Just my 2 cents ✌️

Captain Red Eye

At proper seedbanks they always store their seeds in fridges, which is best for conservation since they don't sell many year old seeds at all if it's a legit business.

Those temps don't damage the seeds and just slow down the biological process of the seeds aging.

Putting seeds into your freezer on the other hand will most likely damage at least the shell of the seeds.
Imho the inside of the seed expands and cracks the shell a little just like if you put a glass bottle filled with water into your freezer.

Which is why growers use this method to help very old seeds germ.
Just like cracking the shell, sandpapering them or using h2o2 to destroy the surface of the seed's shell a little.

Just my 2 cents ✌️

Thanks for the response. I have two primary seed stashes.

The older ones are in segregated and marked containers, kept dark and dry, but never been stored in fridge or freezer. Those are the ones I'll be trying to pop some from that I suspect will have low or zero germination. I've been reading various threads and searching the internet for "how to germinate old seeds" info. Figured I'd try a few of the many methods described, nothing to lose since I have a shitload of old seeds, some being home-made pollen chucks and some being from seed banks.

I agree proper seed banks (and "breeders") shouldn't sell old seeds and/or improperly stored seeds, at least not without letting people know or doing periodic germination tests. I suspect many of us have been burned a time or two with that one.

My second stash is in the freezer, been doing that for a few years and so far I've had decent germination with most of them. I've considered a dedicated mini fridge in lieu of the freezer though for the reason you mentioned. I use a little plastic container with cut up emery board inside to scuff seeds, been a ritual for me for awhile.

But....At least I don't have a mischievous cat like @Janborrego to add to the concerns! :giggle:

Zivilpolizist

Veteran
The older ones are in segregated and marked containers, kept dark and dry, but never been stored in fridge or freezer. Those are the ones I'll be trying to pop some from that I suspect will have low or zero germination. I've been reading various threads and searching the internet for "how to germinate old seeds" info. Figured I'd try a few of the many methods described, nothing to lose since I have a shitload of old seeds, some being home-made pollen chucks and some being from seed banks.
Good luck with those seeds. 🤞

I always use h2o2 when germinating seeds, no matter how old they are.

Best support for weak roots (if you get some seed to crack) in my experience are:

- Seaweed (Powder mixed into the soil or grow products like canna's rhizotonic)
- Willow water
- Funghi like Mykorrhiza and Trichoderma

But still there are seeds that are just dead. No matter how many magic tricks your willing to perform to make them germ 😅

I agree proper seed banks (and "breeders") shouldn't sell old seeds and/or improperly stored seeds, at least not without letting people know or doing periodic germination tests. I suspect many of us have been burned a time or two with that one.

Reminds me of when some super high friend discovered seeds in the shopping window of some mini market in Amsterdam.

I just pulled him away and told him "follow me idiot 🤣" to show him the way to the Homegrown Fantaseeds Seedshop still at the old location where he bought his first blueberry seeds right out one of their many fridges 😁

He became a good grower after this purchase but nowadays he is out of the business because of family etc...

My second stash is in the freezer, been doing that for a few years and so far I've had decent germination with most of them. I've considered a dedicated mini fridge in lieu of the freezer though for the reason you mentioned. I use a little plastic container with cut up emery board inside to scuff seeds, been a ritual for me for awhile.

There are a lot of guys that only store inside the freezer here.

I just don't since I'm not the type that is collecting more genetics than he can grow. I work with cuts and got friends that make their own crosses or F2s of genetics we are afraid to lose.

Just grow them every couple of years and make your own seeds (or better: find friends that do this for you 😁) and you can use your old seeds to add some fiber to your muesli without caring about eating your best genetics 😅

OleReynard

Just similar to imitating a winter, I believe it also gives them a shot of nitro.
I have stored my bean collection in the freezer since I started some 40 years ago.
Unfortunately 20 years ago the cops made off with the first batch.
I have beans well over 20 years old and are in the freezer with germ rates at 95% or better.
Old school ways from old school teachings

Last edited:

Captain Red Eye

Just similar to imitating a winter, I believe it also gives them a shot of nitro.
I have stored my bean collection in the freezer since I started some 40 years ago.
Unfortunately 20 years ago the cops made off with the first batch.
I have beans well over 20 years old and are in the freezer with germ rates at 95% or better.
Old school ways from old school teachings

Sorry to hear about the seed theft. A similar thing happened to my seeds (and plants!) 15 years ago. Felony charges etc. "Sir I am not a felon, I am an enthusiastic, but humble gardener". They didn't seem to share my sense of humor.

Yeah, imitating winter was what I figured too on the freezer thing.