What's new

Do-it-yourself Haze

OldCoolSativa

These are the outback haze pheno #2 (grail pheno) crosses.
Click image for larger version  Name:	F21 OH2a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	17949199

Click image for larger version  Name:	F21 OH2b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	17949200

Lastly, here's the NH18 cross. This one will be the first across the finish line...
Click image for larger version  Name:	F21 NH18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.0 KB ID:	17949201

OldCoolSativa

The outback haze x NH21/MML male plant has passed the stress test, and he's still a male! He had been flowering indoors since Sept 1st, and I run the lights at night. So I let him sit in a dim garage for a day then put him outside, totally screwing up his light cycle. He took it like a champ, no female bits, and is looking like a stud.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F24 OH1 male.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	17951906

Goodherb

The outback haze x NH21/MML male plant has passed the stress test, and he's still a male! He had been flowering indoors since Sept 1st, and I run the lights at night. So I let him sit in a dim garage for a day then put him outside, totally screwing up his light cycle. He took it like a champ, no female bits, and is looking like a stud.

OldCoolSativa, what's your intention(s) for that particular male ?

He have the looks of a warrior !

OldCoolSativa

I's now been six weeks since I brought these plants inside under 12/12, so it's time for an update. I was late in feeding these girls and the outback haze crosses in particular already dropped a lot of fan leaves. I think it's a combination of them being heavier feeders and of all the fan leaves being severely stressed very early in flower. At any rate, damage has been done and the plants have pretty much stopped stretching. I had to train a few to keep them out of the lights.

Here's the Vietnam #1, trained a bit too much (stem snapped) but she recovered.

F42 V1.jpg
F42 V1 cola.jpg

Here's Vietnam #2:
F42 V2.jpg
F42 V2 cola.jpg

Here's the female outback haze #1 cross:
F42 OH1.jpg
F42 OH1 cola.jpg

Here's the male outback haze #1 cross. He was the latest flowering of all my males this year and I'm freezing lots of pollen and making seeds.
F38 OH1 male.jpg
F38 OH1 male cola.jpg

OldCoolSativa

Here's the outback haze #2 (grail pheno) cross, the longer flowering one. The grail pheno crosses produced beautiful plants and much redness on the stems. Really unique aromas.
F42 OH2a.jpg
F42 OH2a cola.jpg

Here's the other outback haze #2 (grail pheno) cross. This one's faster with fatter buds.
F42 OH2b.jpg
F42 OH2b cola.jpg

Finally, here's the NH18 cross. Her sister is still outside, getting pollinated by the Swiss Thai Nevil.
F42 NH18.jpg
F42 NH18 cola.jpg

It doesn't look like any of these plants will be huge yielders, but I know there's some very special smoke in store. Last night one branch on each plant was pollinated with outback haze #1 x (NH21xMML), and tonight I'm going to hit a second branch on each plant with that same pollen, plus other branches with punto rojo pollen and with Angel's Breathe F2 x 78 Colombian gold. Maybe I can find something close to Hempy's '78 Thia in the outback haze F2s, which is why I want to make a lot of them.

OldCoolSativa

Speaking of terpenes, now's a good time to assess and report aromas from my DIY haze project ~ 7 weeks into flower. Phenomenal aromas coming from these plants, just now ramping up as the flowers begin to produce resin. So as not to co-mingle odors and overwhelm my olfactory system, I'll report the Vietnam aromas now, then update this post this evening about the aromas from OJD's Nevil outback haze and grail crosses.

First, the NH18xMML female in the tent has almost no aroma, despite looking like it's going to be done by week 12-14. Strange. Her miniature sister outside smells mostly of lemon and pine.

The Swiss Thai Nevil male smells classic haze, floral, citrus, with an exotic wood finish.

Vietnam #1 has faint aromas of pine and citrus and probably needs a couple more weeks of flower and resin development for her terpenes to come through.

Vietnam #2 triggered a powerful odor recognition in my brain, immediately bringing me back to when I was a kid. Bubble gum. First like Bazooka Joe, then more like Juicyfruiit. A classic SE Asian terp profile, I would say. I hope it comes through in the smoke.

Edit to come this evening for the outback haze crosses.

EDIT - the outback haze cross plants have really complex aromas that are hard to distinguish, let alone describe. Here's an attempt to describe the aromas of the long-flowering outback haze #2 plant: not your typical sativa/haze smell at all, metal, rotting wood, citrus (grapefruit!).

I'll keep trying as the aromas develop.

Last edited:

OldCoolSativa

8 Weeks

Here's an update at 8 weeks. All plants are doing well, and some appear to be finishing faster than I expected. I now doubt anything will go past 16 weeks. Resin and aromas building nicely, and the buds continue to swell.

Vietnam #1 - citrus and astringent aromas, it's pistils are darkening much faster than I expected. Maybe 12-14 weeks? Low yielder.
Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 V1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.2 KB ID:	17975871

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 V1 cola.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.8 KB ID:	17975872

Vietnam #2 - still smells strongly of Juicyfruit gum or Bazooka Joe bubble gum. This one may be slower than her sister, and will probably yield better.
Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 V2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	17975873

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 V2 cola.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	17975874

Outback Haze #1 (primal pheno) x OJD's grail male - this one now looks like it'll be the last to finish, and should yield decently.
Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 OH1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	17975875

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 OH1 cola.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.4 KB ID:	17975876

Outback Haze #2a (grail pheno, long flowering) x OJD's grail male - possibly the most interesting plant in this run. Will not be a big yielder; Thai-stick-sized buds that are showing a lot of reddish-brown pistils. Showing early signs of fenotrigo bud structure. This one looks Thai-leaning to me. Aromas are very complex - Earth, wood, rot, metal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 OH2a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	17975877

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 OH2a cola.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	17975878

Outback Haze #2b (grail pheno, faster flowering) x OJD's grail male - this one looks like a Mullum leaner to me. Buds are quite dense.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 OH2b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	17975879

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 OH2b cola.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	17975880

NH18 x OJD's grail male - this one was starting to flop under the weight of the buds...doesn't have a well developed root structure. Looks to be a pretty good yielder. Pine-citrus-haze aromas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 NH18.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	17975881

Click image for larger version  Name:	F56 NH18 cola.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	17975882

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Very cool. Kinda counter intuitive on the NH 18, no? The plant with the weirdest roots ends up with a denser bud set? That one, the 2b and the Viet #2 all have my eye.

OldCoolSativa

Thanks; it's a really interesting mix in there this run. On the NH18 cross, I think the heavy buds are from genetics while the weak root structure is from environment. I didn't up-pot to 3-gal grow bags until they had been flowering for a couple weeks...they just didn't have enough time to develop good root mass. Looks like you like the plants with the fatter buds. I like big yields as much as the next guy, but fat, denseI buds invite bud rot and PM in many environments. I select for skinny, airy buds with fenotrigo structure from long-flowering plants because that's what we found in '70s weed, and those traits have been systematically bred out of cannabis for four decades now. Is it any wonder older stoners insist that weed was better back then?

OldCoolSativa

10 Weeks

My DIY Haze project is going very well. I really want to try some of this stuff, so I go looking for popcorn buds that are close to done and everything in the tent is still shooting white pistils. So I wait and I observe. Happy to report that I'm seeing fenotrigo bud structure in the majority of these plants. Aromas are off the charts wonderful and complex. Lower buds are nicely seeded by select males (outback haze #1 x OJD grail male, angeldorado, and punto rojo). Last week I collected some Swiss Thai Nevil pollen from an outdoor plant and hit some of the plants with that as well. Buds are swelling beautifully and I'll have some serious head stash if things stay on track.

Here's V1. She looks to have recovered from her earlier travails; she's happy now and making some serious resin. Lime-citrus astringent smell.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 V1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	17986323

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 V1 cola2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.0 KB ID:	17986324

This is her sister, V2. Has a remarkable and LOUD smell like juicy fruit gum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 V2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	17986325

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 V2 cola.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	17986326

Here's the outback haze #1 (wild pheno) x OJD's grail male. Slowest to add resin with abundant white pistils...I'm thinking 18-20 weeks. Haze aromas, a bit more faint than the others.
Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 OH1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	17986327

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 OH1 cola.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	17986328

Here's the outback haze 2a (grail pheno) x OJD'd grail male. Aromas are extremely complex but the ones that come through strongest are metal shop and grapefruit. Really interested to see how this one smokes. Strong fenotrigo bud structure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 OH2a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	17986330

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 OH2a cola.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	17986331

Here's the other outback haze #2 (grail pheno) cross from OJD. This one is a good yielder and seems to be mullum dominant.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 OH2a cola.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	17986331

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 OH2b cola.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	17986333

Finally, here's the NH18 x OJD grail male cross. Spectacular fenotrigo bud structure developing. Swelling beautifully; she'll yield pretty well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 NH18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	17986334

Click image for larger version  Name:	F70 NH18 cola.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.1 KB ID:	17986335

Attachments

• F70 OH2a.jpg
    F70 OH2a.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 51

...CR500AF...

Oldcoolsativa man looks so good, the big old baseball bat's on NH X OJD bring back some memories that is for sure very nice work on all of them...:)

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Ugh, you're going to have so much good smoke and breeding materials after you work these. Friggin' jealous, haha.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
appreciate sharing your gear/grow…….
late 70’s had a Viet line brought back by local Vet …..scraggly looking hay that hit one like a bag of schrooms…..prolly most psychoactive gear ever had….and that was grown in Watsonville…..2nd gen from original stock…..proved to me growing a line that far north and retain quality of high was possible…..but don’t X out or loss of high went with …..
best in finding your gem……
ganj on…..

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
10 Weeks

My DIY Haze project is going very well. I really want to try some of this stuff, so I go looking for popcorn buds that are close to done and everything in the tent is still shooting white pistils. So I wait and I observe. Happy to report that I'm seeing fenotrigo bud structure in the majority of these plants. Aromas are off the charts wonderful and complex. Lower buds are nicely seeded by select males (outback haze #1 x OJD grail male, angeldorado, and punto rojo). Last week I collected some Swiss Thai Nevil pollen from an outdoor plant and hit some of the plants with that as well. Buds are swelling beautifully and I'll have some serious head stash if things stay on track.

Here's V1. She looks to have recovered from her earlier travails; she's happy now and making some serious resin. Lime-citrus astringent smell.

This is her sister, V2. Has a remarkable and LOUD smell like juicy fruit gum.

Here's the outback haze #1 (wild pheno) x OJD's grail male. Slowest to add resin with abundant white pistils...I'm thinking 18-20 weeks. Haze aromas, a bit more faint than the others.

Here's the outback haze 2a (grail pheno) x OJD'd grail male. Aromas are extremely complex but the ones that come through strongest are metal shop and grapefruit. Really interested to see how this one smokes. Strong fenotrigo bud structure.

Here's the other outback haze #2 (grail pheno) cross from OJD. This one is a good yielder and seems to be mullum dominant.

Finally, here's the NH18 x OJD grail male cross. Spectacular fenotrigo bud structure developing. Swelling beautifully; she'll yield pretty well.

Wow bro looking great , nice work.
look like they are in great hands with you.
these are some real special Haze/Sativas that Neville made and im happy to see them grown all around the world and especially a Haze/Sativa Connoisseur like yourself.

Il defo get to some of your X's you sent me next year( thanks bro ) and il post up some pics .