What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

DIY led growlights - Builds and Results

PCBuds

also using UV. I killed thrips with a UV lamp from below so they could go to the lamp and die. I
Very very nice! Love the uv application, i do led for uva and uvb

I've been thinking about UV for a while now.
I've learned that you can sterilize water with UV.

Does anyone know if a UV water sterilizer with work in my grow?
Maybe if I turn it down for the plant?
Or is it the wrong wavelength or something?

If I can get a UV light that can work double duty, then that would justify the expense.

PCBuds

If you do it right you can get tripple duty out of it. The plant dies too.

A dose of UV that is sufficient to deal with thrips is deadly to plants.

Well that works for me.
If I can turn it down to a non-lethal dose then I can feed the plant and kill bugs.
If I can't turn it down, I can use it to sterilize my plant just after I harvest it.

I've had problems with mold, and I think it might kill the mold and it's spores?

Orange's Greenhouse

✓
Well that works for me.
If I can turn it down to a non-lethal dose then I can feed the plant and kill bugs.
If I can't turn it down, I can use it to sterilize my plant just after I harvest it.

I've had problems with mold, and I think it might kill the mold and it's spores?
If it kills bugs, then it kills the plant too. UVC is also causing cancer, burns your retina etc. It's nothing to fuck around with.
There are "UV insect killers", but they only use violett/blue light to attract the insect. Then it's either burned or caught in a sticky trap. They obviously only attract flying insects.

Sterilizing your plant after harvest doesn't work either. It only works on the part that is illuminated. But the inside, where the mold starts. It's in the shadow, so it's not sterilized.

Last edited:

Rocket Soul

✓
Well that works for me.

Uv for sterilization is uvc, not for plants and humans but great for getting melanomas. Most reliable uv approach ive tried was 2:1, 400/365nm split. If works well on smells and taste and general plant health, secondary metabolites etc. it wont kills bugs, it will make the plant more healthy, less attractive to bugs and more hardy in resisting. But please guys lets try to keep this thread for builds and buds grown by them. Or how to build instructions and such. Stuff that shows of why to diy or how, and the results of your diy builds; everybody loves to see frost. Anything else and we tend to just chitter chatter, get of subject and eventually someone starts flaming the thread. Trust me, thats why RIU ledsection mecame a craphole. PCB, please hit me up on pm or ill chat uv on your thread.