What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

DIY led growlights - Builds and Results

Charles Dankens

Looking at Nepal jam x Kali china from ACE, sounds like a similar vibe at 8 weeks.
Glad the pot worked.
Nepalese Jam was one of the 1st ACE offerings I grew. It does give a buzz similar to KM. I find though that KM has an unmatched euphoric sense. I've grown a few 12 to 16 week strains but prefer KM 90% of the time. I've never grown or smoked an 8 week strain that is comparable

All Cacti Are Beautiful

420club
Id love to grow out Kali Mist but our 9 week schedule wont allow for it. My fav weed was Y Griega, KM x Amneisa.
First time I see someone talking about y griega. We used to have a few very nice females turned in mothers and I would always grow at least some. Very good on all aspects and the first time I got a hint of kali mist, something I will need to grow one day. It was almost like smoking hash with the thick smoke and oils drenching the paper.

There's still a few seeds left although really old and I used it to make some seeds with another mother I couldn't get enough from.

Thanks for reminding me of some good times.

Charles Dankens

These ladies doing pretty well under Chill Led 500

8-19-pbkk-day-50.gif
8-19-pbkk-2.gif
8-19-indigo.gif
8-19-pbkk.gif

Rocket Soul

Charles Dankens

Beautiful shot plants :) is that peanut butter kosher kush? But im missing some context here, is that indoor woth white picket fence? Or outside for better light? The newer chilled are on are on the verge of just regular growlights though but i really like those photos :)
Thanks 👍 man, Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes. I took her outside for a pic. My chill led is about 1.5 years old.

Rocket Soul

have not fiddled with electronics in many years but I am really thinking about getting into the DIY LED game.
I have a 7.5 x 7.5 ft flower room I would like to completely revamp with LED lighting that gives optimal coverage wall to wall. With traditional lighting the room requires 2800 watts of HID lighting to reach 50 watts per sq foot. I run it with maximum 2x 1000w but can only really do that over the winter or it just gets smoking hot and I don;t run AC.
I have an HLG 600Bspec veg light that easily replaced the 1000w halide I usually used and I am happy with that but I want to build out an LED system that will provide optimal flowering spectrum and coverage in that room. I should probably start my own thread though as I will need input from the knowledgeable folks here to even get started on the what/where and how to go about sourcing and building.
Hey dude :)
Any more movement on your project? If you start the thread and at least you can get going into the thought process :) optimal flowering spectrum and spread is only really achievable with DIY, but its best to go thru the design process first. First time is always daunting and it can be hard to get everything right at the first time but you got the help here if you like ;)

Rocket Soul

@Rocket Soul whats your thoughts on uv lighting suppressing roots in drain/return pipes , i was thinking about trying it to see if it will stop them wanting to go into pipework .

I dont know. Instinctively id say no probably, cost and feasibility, along with water resistance issues seem to be a lot if youre already unsure about it. Maybe a discussion better for another thread or hit me up on pms.

Rocket Soul

Very nice buds indeed :)

Ive been looking at doing some strips later this year for some testing out in our grow and with some other local testers. Heres the deal and the mock up:
- 840x30mm - 3foot/1m adapted length.
- 420 diodes per strip: 4 clusters of 3 monos in series and 408 midpowers, running close to nominal at 80-100w.
- mounting space for 3 ledstar pcbs for custom supplementation channel; uv, far red or whatever u like. This way you get custom and replaceable supplementation, it helps a lot to only have to replace one led if a diode goes out or starts losing output.
- centre line attachment, for easier attachment to prefab heatsinks and t-slot for sinking.

The mock up:
Alibaba6d16e0f6c5682fe465fcb5ce31604a4f_original.png

Orange's Greenhouse

Very nice buds indeed :)

Ive been looking at doing some strips later this year for some testing out in our grow and with some other local testers. Heres the deal and the mock up:
- 840x30mm - 3foot/1m adapted length.
- 420 diodes per strip: 4 clusters of 3 monos in series and 408 midpowers, running close to nominal at 80-100w.
- mounting space for 3 ledstar pcbs for custom supplementation channel; uv, far red or whatever u like. This way you get custom and replaceable supplementation, it helps a lot to only have to replace one led if a diode goes out or starts losing output.
- centre line attachment, for easier attachment to prefab heatsinks and t-slot for sinking.

The mock up:
View attachment 19063860
I recommend multiple screw holes. Either it sags directly and has poor contact with the heat sink or it warms up, expands and then sags, losing contact with the heat sink.

doc_loomis

That's how I mounted mine, although they come with holes every ~8cm even. So I got 5 holes on my 48cm strips, but only screwed in 3.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I used double sided thermal tape and 4 screws per board on mine....even with just the tape it will never move. At least with the tape I used. Super hella strong.
Peace, negative.

Rocket Soul

All sites which take external ledstar pcb have a couple of holes in them.

For ledstrips normal wattages an at nominal current i usually dont use any thermal interface; just alu on alu.

Latest posts

Latest posts