What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

College as it relates to The Industry

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Purdue has one the world's best agricultural programs! Highly recommended! Excellent professors and courses! :smoke:

https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/Hort/Pages/UGStudyOptions.aspx

Horticultural Production and Marketing
Horticultural production and marketing prepares students in the production of horticultural crops or management of horticultural enterprises. Graduates may manage greenhouses or nurseries, floral or plant shops, garden centers, orchards, vegetable farms, and farm markets. They may be involved with development, distribution, or sales of equipment, chemicals, or plant materials.

packerfan79

Veteran
Unfortunately I don't think that professional mj cultivation is going to be a high paying line of work. Unless you are on the ground floor of a start up. meaning you have an ownership stake in the company. Look at the Canadian mmprs that are on here looking for cheap labor. I am assuming that you like to blaze, that will be a big no no. I doubt that anyone is going to invest millions of dollars in an operation to have it run a small profit. I won't be surprised when companies flood the industry with low wage illegals, and then keep huge profits for the shareholders. Unfortunately the days of happy well paid growers is going to be a thing of the past

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Canadian university to offer online course in marijuana management
from http://college.usatoday.com/2015/08...-offer-online-course-in-marijuana-management/

A Canadian university wants to help students interested in growing and selling medical marijuana enter the expanding industry by offering a new online class this fall.

Kwantlen Polytechnic University in British Columbia has designed “Introduction to Professional Management of Marijuana for Medical Purposes in Canada” to prepare students for the “successes and continual challenges” of the medical marijuana industry. The 14-week course will be taught exclusively online and will consist of four modules: plant production and facility management, legalities and regulations, marketing, sales and patient acquisition and medical conditions and drug development.

continues...

Purdue has one the world's best agricultural programs! Highly recommended! Excellent professors and courses! :smoke:

https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/Hort/Pages/UGStudyOptions.aspx

Horticultural Production and Marketing
Horticultural production and marketing prepares students in the production of horticultural crops or management of horticultural enterprises. Graduates may manage greenhouses or nurseries, floral or plant shops, garden centers, orchards, vegetable farms, and farm markets. They may be involved with development, distribution, or sales of equipment, chemicals, or plant materials.

Now that sounds interesting, I'll definitely be looking into that further.

gh0st9

Veteran
Not all botany related programs will transfer over well to Canna industry. I'm planning on going to a doctorate program sooner or later for Plant Pathology.. but not related to Cannabis at all.. I've shadowed under some profs already. I'll be working mostly with commodity crops, and big agri.

Not all botany related programs will transfer over well to Canna industry.

Obviously, but it's not like legit colleges are actually offering cannabotany programs atm, you gotta work with what's available and when you get to the root of it cannabis is a plant, so there will be enough translatable knowledge to provide a proper foundation...not for nothing but I'm also interested in no-till permaculture food farming and would like to grow all my own produce someday.