What's new

CMH vs LED vs HPS

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Diablo's have a more intense smaller foot print than there Scorpion Diablo do. I always get more yellowing under the Diablo. If I would have known I would have went with the Scorpion Diablo.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
The Diablo's have a more intense smaller foot print than there Scorpion Diablo do. I always get more yellowing under the Diablo. If I would have known I would have went with the Scorpion Diablo.
This one?
Screenshot_20231021-235120-820.png

Ca++

The scorpion is still packing the boards pretty close. Keep that sort of spacing across an area, and you are probably replacing 600s with even more power per meter.
I used 288 boards at similar spacing, and it put 720w over a meter. I wouldn't do it again.
If a light is even more energy dense, it means hanging it higher, to spread it over the appropriate area. While bigger lights, can be kept lower. The math suggests the two are equal, but in reality, measurements show there could be 10% between them. Seen as lost light, or lost bud, that's a lot. We chase 301h lights, over 301b. There is more to be gained in finding appropriate sized lighting.

Looking nice at 12 days there crooked8. I looked at your last run, where 10 day pics are available. It's really quite a change. It looks like you won't just fill it, but probably out grow the space. I think the higher RH might be leading to bigger leaf development, but in any case, they are certainly performing better. I hope your preventative treatments are going on in a timely manner. I'm slack as fuck with mine.. and regret it every time. Trimming is hard work, if you must check everything for rot.

cfl...KING

Veteran
@Ca++ that's the goal if the LED work out. One 700-715w hlg in it's place. In the winter I'll replace 3-4 led with 600w hps for heat. Summer time run all LED

Reactions: JKD

JKD

Veteran
I think that’s the 650R - preceded the Diablo models.

They do bar lamps as well now:

Last edited:

Ca++

A single 288 board finned heatsink, is £18 delivered. The doubles and triples follow similar pricing. While boards are 10 - 30 depending what you put on them. This gives the option to repackage or convert, QB based lights.

I have all my boards as individual items, but share drivers. This is more flexible, when you want to move them about. Right now, I have one in each corner of a tent, with a hid in the middle. Last install, they were in a diablo shape almost. Some would build frames, but I hang groups from a single pole, then move the pole up/down.

You could chop up hlg's, but it's a better idea to loose that flat plate, for a finned design. Like they used to use. Bloody bean counters, don't want your lights to age well.

I have them going on the floor next, looking up. It's just so much more flexible, having them as individual items.

cfl...KING

Veteran
Agreed but if you had to pick one lol

Or

Ca++

@Ca++ but if you were to pick one that was already setup, would you go with the scorpion r spec or the tomahawk 720?
I wouldn't buy either. Their early lights were good, but not anymore. They have ditched the extruded heatsinks and meanwell driver, in favour of the worst thermal management I have seen, and a nameless driver.

It's designed to fail, and while it's working, the LEDs won't work to spec. It's horrible.
It's no wonder they won't let Shane test them.

I do like a QB, as you can swap boards cheaply. It is something I have done. There is little (perhaps nothing) else that's an industry standard. It's the wrong supplier though. I can feel myself starting to snarl, just looking at the price of that low level kit.

We have two advertiser on this board, who both employ similar standards, on there entry level kit. Stuff you're not even contemplating. The last I looked, they were saying their 301 was a special corroboration, which means they could bin them any way they wanted.
If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Edit: I see they are now using the leafy greens LEDs. That blue is lower yield, and the green grows bud, but with lower THC. You don't want it.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How old is that Diablo? The Diablos I'm getting have 6 led panels
Last year's model. You can't buy that model anymore. The new ones are 750 Diablo and have that reflector skirting. Scorpion Diablo is what you got. They do have 2 Scorpion Diablo models with different spectrums. Its donated with an X. Same for the 750's.

I think that’s the 650R - preceded the Diablo models.

They do bar lamps as well now:

No its a Diablo. The quantum board's spectrum is what makes a Diablo. These were there best light
Project2.png

Last edited:

420empire

Veteran
Horticultural lighting vendor Fluence reminds growers that the spectral requirements for cannabis are very different from other crops.

Sales are slow in horticultural lighting at the moment, so vendors are taking the opportunity to try educate growers on the long-term benefits.
Sales are slow in horticultural lighting at the moment, so vendors are taking the opportunity to try educate growers on the long-term benefits.
Times are slow in horticultural lighting, as growers balk at buying systems that will cost a bundle to run, given high global energy prices. Their hesitance applies even to LED products which, while energy efficient, still add considerable electricity costs compared to no artificial light.

But LED vendors are taking the long view, steadfastly believing that the planet needs spectrally optimized illumination in order to grow crops and medicinal plants that help nourish populations and support environmental sustainability.

With that in mind, it’s fair to say that the industry is taking the opportunity to shift into educational gear — otherwise known as marketing mode — to remind growers that, in the long run, horticultural LED lighting will indeed make a big difference.

Their guidance applies to indoor growing that is completely removed from sunlight in settings such as vertical farms, as well as to greenhouses where supplemental tunable lighting can help extend growing seasons into the winter.

Case in point on the indoor farming front: In a recent blog, Signify’s Austin, Texas–based Fluence drove home the point that lighting is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. Each crop optimally benefits from a unique recipe of spectra, intensity, and duration that is distinctly different from another crop.

Fluence serves a variety of crops but is most associated with cannabis. No surprise, then, that the blog singled out cannabis as an example, making the point that growers who want to expand into cannabis from other crops will have to relearn the lighting proclivities.

Some growers have learned that lesson the hard way, noted Jörg Meyer-Brenken, Fluence EMEA’s lead account manager for cannabis.

“Many operators thought they could copy-paste growing experience from mastering cucumbers, peppers, herbs, and tomatoes, but cannabis is another plant, so that’s a mistake,” Meyer-Brenken said.

Even within cannabis itself, the lighting arrangements can vary considerably.

The blog is essentially a sales pitch imploring growers not only to buy LED lights, but to do so from a group such as Fluence that knows and shares the science behind the lighting, and that understands the business nuances and how to use light recipes to maximize real estate.

- great magazine, they really have some nice articles. 😉

Ca++

I can't quite keep track. Fluence were taken into the Osram group, but a year or so back, Signify bought Fluence. That puts them in the Philips group. Both Osram and Philips names seem to be getting used for other crops, while the Fluence name remains more cannabis focused.

Cannabis likes a lot of warm light. It was perfectly happy under HPS. Some say, it prefers HPS. Imitating it with LED should of been our starting point. Rather than buying cabbage lighting. Which many brands are still giving us now.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
I can't quite keep track. Fluence were taken into the Osram group, but a year or so back, Signify bought Fluence. That puts them in the Philips group. Both Osram and Philips names seem to be getting used for other crops, while the Fluence name remains more cannabis focused.

Cannabis likes a lot of warm light. It was perfectly happy under HPS. Some say, it prefers HPS. Imitating it with LED should of been our starting point. Rather than buying cabbage lighting. Which many brands are still giving us now.
That's what I've been doing buying vtac beamers and highbeams. But it turns out a fine tuned wavelength recipe is a better choice. Just don't buy the crap our sponsors make, build your own, always.

Ca++

I think 'fine tuned' might be the wrong image for some readers. The lights I find coming out from these major groups, are (generally warm) white with 660. This is far removed from just Red and Blue, but not topped off with a light sprinkling of moon bounce, every 4th Thursday.

Latest posts

Latest posts