What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Cmh reflector/fixture - does bulb position really matter?

'Boogieman'

I'm also about to buy a cmh setup, the purpose is to veg my plants indoors early spring before I plant them outdoors. I only used a T5 for veg in the past.

I want to buy a setup that doesn't have the ballast attached, which of these two reflectors would you recommend? I will be getting the Philips 4200 bulb and I'm not sure which ballast yet. I'm leaning towards the phantom reflector but would like other opinions first.

Attachments

• 20200219_142036.jpg
    20200219_142036.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200219_142007.jpg
    20200219_142007.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 50

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have the one on the right. Only been setup for a week and a half.
I also would like to try the air-cooled model just to compare.

'Boogieman'

I have the one on the right. Only been setup for a week and a half.
I also would like to try the air-cooled model just to compare.

After a bit more research I think I'm going with the sunsystems reflector. Apparently the phantom reflector is to be used with a phantom ballast. I'm curious on which ballast you went with? Unfortunately I have to order on Amazon.

ReprobateMind

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a glass enclosed and air-cooled* Sun System YieldMaster reflector in the horizotal position with a 315 W CMH bulb? I used a mogul base to PGZX adapter so I can run CMH in the reflector. It should grow plants in a 3'x3' tent without any light or heat issues, correct?

*air-cooled meaning ambient air temps and not cooled with AC.

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a glass enclosed and air-cooled* Sun System YieldMaster reflector in the horizotal position with a 315 W CMH bulb? I used a mogul base to PGZX adapter so I can run CMH in the reflector. It should grow plants in a 3'x3' tent without any light or heat issues, correct?

*air-cooled meaning ambient air temps and not cooled with AC.
If it's glass enclosed you should use fan connected to the duct on the light.

ReprobateMind

If it's glass enclosed you should use fan connected to the duct on the light.
Thanks. Yes, it is class enclosed. Could I get away with the following?

pull>>>scrubber>>>>hood>>>fan>>>exhaust>>>>

In this scenario, the 'air intake' is from the tent itself and not from the outside air. However, there is an open intake hole at the bottom of the tent which provides fresh air. There is also enough CFM from the fan to create negative pressure and suck in the sides of the tent while exhausting heat.

Latest posts

Latest posts