What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Chlorines effects on plants

RobFromTX

So I live somewhere the chlorine levels in the tap water are noticeably high. I mean you'd think its at the level of a public swimming pool. For the longest time now I've been filling up an igloo in the grow room with water for my plants as the research I've done online says it dissipates after a few days. But it is no less a pain in the ass to keep it full and I'm altogether tired of dealing with it. So I wanted to get some advice about chlorine's effects on plants as well as the soil. Is what I've been doing really that necessary for plant health? Would it really be such a bad thing to water them straight from the tap? Just wanted to get some other growers opinions on the subject as the research I've read online is very conflicting

mudballs

Soil you can ignore the chlorine and chloramine thing altogether...soil is way diff than say rockwool or other inert media. For us to hurt a plant in a 5g of soil with chlorinated water, we'd have to be in the range of 2000ppm from tap

shiva82

wo forms of vitamin C, ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate, will neutralize chlorine. Neither is considered a hazardous chemical. First, vitamin C does not lower the dissolved oxygen as much as sulfur-based chemicals do. Second, vitamin C is not toxic to aquatic life at the levels used for dechlorinating water.

shiva82

the tap water is basically recirculating shit and piss water that has had a basic filtration and shit tonne of toxins added to kill bacteria. it is not ideal. get a rain water tank

Ringodoggie

I started having water issues when I moved to SoCal a few years ago. pH is about 8.5 and chlorine is super high.

I use a simple RV water filter. Different filters will filter various amounts of the chlorine. I think mine claims 80% reduction in chlorine.

I have always (and still do) fill 1 gallon jugs and let them sit. But I have this filter inline when I fill the jugs.

Cheap, easy and effective.

61VmsvwlxyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mudballs

In soil the chlorine molecule just can't make it deep enough to start to be an issue for the plant before it gets broken down. Maybe you hurt microbiotics but that's only top 1-2"
Now rockwool, etc. I would think it matters a whole lot, down to the very ppm for some elite setups

Latest posts

Latest posts