What's new

Chillums

swayambunath

And, also (sorry to ramble a little bit, but this is a stoner forum), the sadhu-est sadhu I ever met smoked the weediest bushweed out of a deer antler! And yes, it smelled and tasted disgusting!

Gelado`

Veteran
I have quite the chillum collection--the ones I use most often are hand blown glass. They're just easier to clean (no stone) and my smaller ones are portable. I only really smoke good bud, so I like a small bowl since I don't like to smoke too much at once. I can always pack a second or third bowl for myself if need be!

Gelado`

Veteran
Two of my chillums:

picture.php

The first one was handblown for me in CA. It's the second of two; I broke the first one, and missed the butterscotch swirls so much I had another one made. It turned out a little longer than the first (around 4").

The chillum on the right was purchased in '05 in Mumbai, India, outside the infamous Leopold Cafe. The cafe was later shot up by Pakistani terrorists, and because of the bulletholes, it is even more of a tourist draw now than it was back then!

The chillum's only around 3 1/4" long and handling and smoking it brings back lots of memories. It was thoroughly clogged with tar for quite a while...six years maybe. So clogged up that I couldn't pull through it at all or get the stone out, even with a great deal of force. Tonight I decided to drop it in boiling water for a while and try and and push the stone out with a chopstick. It came right out after a good soak. After a little work (I had to bore out the hole in the stone and shave the inside of the bowl and the outside of the stone), it smokes like a treat again. Boiling water is nice and safe compared to chemical cleaners, so I'm happy.

This chillum means a lot to me. It is the only Indian one I've ever had, and I was taught to smoke it by some ganja smoking pros from the countryside, who also hooked me up with bud from their hometown. The chillum only cost me $1 US too!

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
anyone have experience smoking chillums of these shapes? I'm wondering how it contours to the hand and if it makes it easier or harder or doesn't matter.

what do you guys think?
472_big1.jpg

http://www.chillum.it/chillum.php?chillum=472

or would I be better off with one of this shape?
470_big2.jpg

http://www.chillum.it/chillum.php?chillum=470

he also makes some smaller "nano" chillums that are 10.0 cm, from what I read in the thread that's too small?

thanks for such an informative thread limey!

interesting article, but mixing tobacco with weed is sooooooo European and gross! you wont catch anybody doing that in the good ol' USA!

SetHeh

Not only Europeans; Indians who smoke chillums also sometimes mix their weed with tobacco. Of course, traditionally one should use only weed (or charas). I think here in Europe tobacco & ganja trend is also slowly changing in favor of pure weed.

gonutsplease

I need help finding a renzo clay.

I need help finding a renzo clay.

Hey guys.

So the thing is, I love smoking in italian clays. During the course of time, I've owned chillums from Marco, Daniele , Alverman and Manu, along with others. Now for the past three years or so I have been looking to get my hands on some fine Renzo clay but all my efforts have failed. Can anyone please tell me where can I possibly look for a Renzo chillum? I would really really appreciate any leads.

derangostyle

italian chillums

italian chillums

So many people are wondering why Alvies cost 200 euro or why one should even pay so much for a chillum when one could easily pick up a regular clay chilum for a couple of dollars. Many reasons-

1) Italian clay has a higher baking temperature, is finer quality, denser and a better smoke.
2) The clay used by chillum artists is a unique mixture, each artist has his/her own clay mix which is a trade secret and usually not revealed. This makes the chilum a unique peice. A Manu is not an Alverman is not a patrick etc. for the simple reason that it has a unique clay mix.
3) These chillums are atleast twice baked, some artists bake theirs more than twice also (Patrick's limited edition handmade Chillum's are baked seven times).
4) The quality of the toke depends on how well the chillum is made, the quality of the clay and most importantly-something that is often overlooked- how well its seasoned.
5) Seasoning is crucial to the toke. This involves- smoking good gear (clean and pure) and cleaning the chillum properly, boiling it in milk every 2 months or so (the first 1000 tokes or so are crucial in determining how well the Chillum will smoke). A chilum improves with age, becomes darker, the stone sinks deeper, the toke becomes sweeter and lighter, not doing as much damage to your throat.
Mixes should always be heavy, with as little tobacco as possible. This gives the Chillum a good taste.
The best chillum's I have ever smoked are-
Renzo
Patrick
Martz
Alverman.

Alverman no longer makes the kind of pipes he was making earlier, too commercial now, and most of the pipes are actually made by his students. The toke has suffered because of this. Patrick makes extraordinarily good chillums, he sells them online too. As for Manu, I have smoked only one good Manu- in Malana. Otherwise I have personally not liked most of his work. Renzo was a master craftsman. he has retired now, a Renzo is priced anywhere between 1000 Euros till infinity. Its possible to find a cheaper Renzo, but only if one has good contacts.

For those looking to buy a good Chillum, I recommend they pick up an italian. Smoke it before you buy it.

Also, never refire an italian chillums, I have a 10 year old Martz, which has never been refired and is perfectly clean. A friend of mine has a 23 year old alverman, perfectly clean. An italian chillum is not for a few days or for a few months, it will last you a lifetime, with good care and good gear.

derangostyle

Good contacts bro, no other way. Renzo's aren't sold in the flea market or any market for that matter. They have become highly priced collector's items. But if you want a smoke similar to Renzo, then you can consider a caio. He is Renzo's students and his Chillums look exactly like Renzos. But, unfortunately, they don't all smoke like a Renzo. I have smoked many Caio's, only one came very close to Renzo-like puff. It was an old unsigned (I think he was still learning from Renzo back then) chillum, from many years back. Anyway, good luck with your search

Eugen

Mentor
Veteran
hi guys,
after breaking a tanys chillum last year, i now got a 2014 daniele italian clay chillum with a white stone.

it is resting on top of a bamboo mixing "bowl" which is perfectly sized for filling the chillum.

picture.php

picture.php

i smoked many chillums with the crew in barcelona before buying one of his chillums. unfortunately i lost the original stick made from african wood already... :(

my buddies chillum has a brown stone and is a tiny bit longer:
picture.php

bom shiva :ying:
picture.php

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
my vapor bros glass whip piece now serves as a chillum...I actually like it better as a pipe than as a piece of a vap

ShantiShanti

Hey thank you very much for thread so i am now convinced that it is worth it for me to buy an italian One ...

I have now some question: if i have it in my hands, how do i see if it is really an alvermann chillum?

I am right now in pushkar and habe a Guy WHO claims to have a real alvermann One ...so the Design looks like in the Internet Brown with 3 Simple Black stripes but can i be 100% sure that it is because of the design a real alvermann one?

And also what Would you think, what Price would be reasonable?

A fast answer Would be absolute heroic!!! :D

Peace & Love from India

G

If I am not vaping, its because I've left the house. In those trying times I like to use my clean Manifest Glassworks ice pinched chillum. Best way to combust!

cannawolf

Hey guys, i just got a Daniele chillum as gift, but it came only the chillum and no stone and no cleaner. Does somebody knows where i can find this spare parts? Thanks

cannawolf

:tiphat:
I fell very lucky, i am waiting for a chillum for more then 15 years, i never wanted to buy the cheap ones and never got a chance to see a good one to buy. I work for a company and we had a shop, and the shop is closed now. Cleaning everything i found this Chillum from Daniele from 2008, but was only the chillum, it misses its own stone. I know i can use any stone if i need and stuff, but being a Daniele chillum i am waiting to see if i can get all good parts for it :/ like the stone and a nice stick to clean it. I am trying to see if i find any information about the chillum made by Daniele but i've not being able to find something. But Yeah! i still feel very lucky. It a sign , i had forgot about chillums. Everybody likes to smoke it with tobacco here around where i live, and nobody was seem to agree with me that should only be weed and the best resin. Now with this gift from the skys i am feeling like getting some chillums and getting back on it :)

lucky man :biggrin: