What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

CANADIAN HEAT LENS CAMERAS ON HELICOPTERS

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
When I went to find a suitable little grow space in my house I found my computer room closet was at 80 all winter, after taking everything out I found that the baseboard pipe was strung straight through the closet causing it to heat up to the 80s when the heat is turned on in winter, now that its a grow closet temps are stable at 80.. And it could be anything, could be a shower stall or a small room that heats up, could be broken ductwork or any number of things.

maddr101

is there another type of material that could be used to sheild off the heat signature maybe an insulation type or something?

fatigues

Veteran
In Canada is it legal for police to use heat lens cameras over homes to find grow ops? this is my biggest nightmare!!! Is that allowed in Alberta Canada? Any one got knowledge on this?

Yes, it is legal. In Canada, Police DO NOT need a search warrant to use Forward Looking Infrared to inspect your place of business or home using a drive-by or overhead flight camera.

The legality of FLIR as an investigative technique without a warrant is beyond doubt and has been ruled upon by the Supreme Court of Canada in 2004 in the case of R. v. Tessling. In Canada, it's 100% legal for the police to do this.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
be smart about it

Run your lights during the day, the FLIR are useless when the sun is up

do some sort of stealth and you will be fine.

basement would work well, hard to read heat from a basement, and exhaust out the chimney

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
You will want to start researching something called "FLIR" (Forward-Looking Infared Radar), as this is the type of camera they would use in order to pinpoint sources of heat which might indicate the presence of a High Intensity Discharge light.......

I am not sure about laws in Canada, but the USA supreme court has ruled:

"In 2001, the United States Supreme Court decided that by performing FLIR surveillance of private property without a search warrant, law enforcement violates the Fourth Amendment's protection from unreasonable searches and seizures. Kyllo v. United States, 533 U.S. 27 (2001) [1]"

Now what loopholes exist to circumvent this, i am not certain........hopefully you will find more information on this subject....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

guinea:: the loophole is they are allowed to fly the copter with FLIR on. they dont need a warrant for it and they can find hot spots that are potential grows and red flag them to investigate it further. they cant use the FLIR as evidence in court, but once your sitting in jail and theyve confiscated all your plants, it doesnt really make a difference what method was used. its a violation of our rights and it makes me sick. i used to live near a police station, and any time i saw a copter take off, it was running FLIR....

Last edited:

cashmunny

The countermeasure would be MLI, multilayer insulation. It's used in cryogenics and in space applications to block radiant heat transfer. It's aluminized mylar, the same stuff they sell to improve the reflectivity of grow rooms. Just multiple layers. It would be a PITA to line a house or room with it though.

Radiant heat depends on the temperature of the emitter surface. So you want to make the temperature of the roof, windows, and walls match your neighbors' so you don't "stick out". You can get a relatively cheap non contact thermometer to check the temperature of any surface without necessarily touching it.

I would think a well insulated house would help. The technology is not magic, it can't see through walls really. It just detects radiant heat. So the cooler the inside of your house is the better because that means cooler outside walls. Most likely the pilots are comparing the signature of one home against another. Run the A/C 24/7. Doing so will create a massive hot spot in the coils of your A/C unit of course but a small point source of heat on an exterior wall isn't what they care about. Line the walls and ceiling of your grow room with multiple layers of aluminum foil if you can't get aluminized mylar. Leave a small air gap between the layers. Pay attention to the ceilings above the lamps. You could even get sophisticated and create a dropped ceiling out of sheet metal.

Seal any cracks in windows and walls. The same things you would do if you had to pay a heating bill for a drafty house in a cold climate.

Latest posts

Latest posts