What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Boosting Terpenes! What Organically Sourced Product do YOU Use for Greater Quantity/Flavor/Aroma/Complexity of your Terpenes?

Cactus Squatter

We should just jump right in with Bunny poop on page 1! 😆 love me some bunny poop.
Works great for me and I know I’m not alone. Not sure what the specific mechanism is with it that’s different from other manures and ferts, but whenever I use it my plants always smell stronger and have a deeper, more complex smell to them.
I use a lot of Alpaca poop as well, but I don’t notice a difference in terps when using it.

I’ve found Bat/seabird guano to boost terps as well, but when I’ve grown clones of the same plant side by side, one in guano based tea feeds and one without I can taste an earthy dirtiness in the guano grown plants. They smell better, but they taste dirtier to me.
I don’t get that dirtiness with bunny poop.

greyfader

does anyone have any references to research papers showing increasing terpenes with various organic materials.

as in a study done with terpenes tested first in a soilless media or hydro methods and then the same plant grown with various organic inputs.

fascinating subject and i will be following this thread for sure.

i have been adding small organic inputs to a soilless media in the PPK system and i am getting a stronger aroma profile. i would like to know whether i am actually increasing terpenes or simply injecting a substance that increases smell.

thus far i have not been able to find any research on the subject that actually quantifies this.

acespicoli

does anyone have any references to research papers showing increasing terpenes with various organic materials.

as in a study done with terpenes tested first in a soilless media or hydro methods and then the same plant grown with various organic inputs.

fascinating subject and i will be following this thread for sure.

i have been adding small organic inputs to a soilless media in the PPK system and i am getting a stronger aroma profile. i would like to know whether i am actually increasing terpenes or simply injecting a substance that increases smell.

thus far i have not been able to find any research on the subject that actually quantifies this.
Chitin
1721097940555.png

A close-up of the wing of a leafhopper; the wing is composed of chitin.
1721099390997.png

Why expensive guano ? Insects...why insects matter ?

Front. Plant Sci., 19 September 2021
Sec. Plant Metabolism and Chemodiversity
Volume 12 - 2021 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2021.721986
"The role of cannabinoids in biotic stress tolerance is consistent with their elevated concentration in flowers where trichome densities are highest. In addition to reducing the risk of pest-related damage, cannabinoids also have antimicrobial properties."

Effects of chitin and chitosan on root growth, biochemical defense response and exudate proteome of Cannabis sativa​

10.1002/pei3.10106

Chicken feed oyster shell from tractor supply cheap...$
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/manna-pro-oyster-shell-50-lb

Agricultural and horticultural use[edit]​

The agricultural and horticultural uses for chitosan, primarily for plant defense and yield increase, are based on how this glucosamine polymer influences the biochemistry and molecular biology of the plant cell. The cellular targets are the plasma membrane and nuclear chromatin. Subsequent changes occur in cell membranes, chromatin, DNA, calcium, MAP kinase, oxidative burst, reactive oxygen species, callose pathogenesis-related (PR) genes, and phytoalexins.[16]

Chitosan was first registered as an active ingredient (licensed for sale) in 1986.[17]

Natural biocontrol and elicitor[edit]​

In agriculture, chitosan is typically used as a natural seed treatment and plant growth enhancer, and as an ecologically friendly biopesticide substance that boosts the innate ability of plants to defend themselves against fungal infections.[18] The natural biocontrol active ingredients, chitin/chitosan, are found in the shells of crustaceans, such as lobsters, crabs, and shrimp, and many other organisms, including insects and fungi. It is one of the most abundant biodegradable materials in the world.[citation needed]

Degraded molecules of chitin/chitosan exist in soil and water. Chitosan applications for plants and crops are regulated in the USA by the EPA, and the USDA National Organic Program regulates its use on organic certified farms and crops.[19] EPA-approved, biodegradable chitosan products are allowed for use outdoors and indoors on plants and crops grown commercially and by consumers.[20]

In the European Union and United Kingdom, chitosan is registered as a "basic substance" for use as a biological fungicide and bactericide on a wide range of crops.[21][22]

The natural biocontrol ability of chitosan should not be confused with the effects of fertilizers or pesticides upon plants or the environment. Chitosan active biopesticides represent a new tier of cost-effective biological control of crops for agriculture and horticulture.[23] The biocontrol mode of action of chitosan elicits natural innate defense responses within plant to resist insects, pathogens, and soil-borne diseases when applied to foliage or the soil.[24] Chitosan increases photosynthesis, promotes and enhances plant growth, stimulates nutrient uptake, increases germination and sprouting, and boosts plant vigor. When used as a seed treatment or seed coating on cotton, corn, seed potatoes, soybeans, sugar beets, tomatoes, wheat, and many other seeds, it elicits an innate immunity response in developing roots which destroys parasitic cyst nematodes without harming beneficial nematodes and organisms.[25]

Agricultural applications of chitosan can reduce environmental stress due to drought and soil deficiencies, strengthen seed vitality, improve stand quality, increase yields, and reduce fruit decay of vegetables, fruits and citrus crops .[26] Horticultural application of chitosan increases blooms and extends the life of cut flowers and Christmas trees. The US Forest Service has conducted research on chitosan to control pathogens in pine trees[27][28] and increase resin pitch outflow which resists pine beetle infestation.[29]

NASA life support GAP technology with untreated beans (left tube) and ODC chitosan biocontrol-treated beans (right tube) returned from the Mir space station aboard the space shuttle – September 1997
Chitosan has a rich history of being researched for applications in agriculture and horticulture dating back to the 1980s.[30] By 1989, chitosan salt solutions were applied to crops for improved freeze protection or to crop seed for seed priming.[31] Shortly thereafter, chitosan salt received the first ever biopesticide label from the EPA, then followed by other intellectual property applications.

Chitosan has been used to protect plants in space, as well, exemplified by NASA's experiment to protect adzuki beans grown aboard the space shuttle and Mir space station in 1997 (see photo left).[32] NASA results revealed chitosan induces increased growth (biomass) and pathogen resistance due to elevated levels of β-(1→3)-glucanase enzymes within plant cells. NASA confirmed chitosan elicits the same effect in plants on earth.[33]

In 2008, the EPA approved natural broad-spectrum elicitor status for an ultralow molecular active ingredient of 0.25% chitosan.[34] A natural chitosan elicitor solution for agriculture and horticultural uses was granted an amended label for foliar and irrigation applications by the EPA in 2009.[26] Given its low potential for toxicity and abundance in the natural environment, chitosan does not harm people, pets, wildlife, or the environment when used according to label directions.[35][36][37] Chitosan blends do not work against bark beetles when put on a tree's leaves or in its soil.[38]

https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/marine-science/articles/10.3389/fmars.2018.00347/full
just dump a 50# bag in a a 6 cu sq ft run of my sig soil mix 🤷‍♂️
Chitin is broadly distributed in the shells of mollusks where it constitutes 3.5 wt%

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
We should just jump right in with Bunny poop on page 1! 😆 love me some bunny poop.
Works great for me and I know I’m not alone. Not sure what the specific mechanism is with it that’s different from other manures and ferts, but whenever I use it my plants always smell stronger and have a deeper, more complex smell to them.
I use a lot of Alpaca poop as well, but I don’t notice a difference in terps when using it.

I’ve found Bat/seabird guano to boost terps as well, but when I’ve grown clones of the same plant side by side, one in guano based tea feeds and one without I can taste an earthy dirtiness in the guano grown plants. They smell better, but they taste dirtier to me.
I don’t get that dirtiness with bunny poop.
Thank you for that insight on the seabird/bat guano flavor issue. I greatly appreciate information like that.

As for the bunny poo I wholeheartedly agree it gives everything a more complex and heftier aroma and flavor profile. :)

when growing in soil I use wormcastings. A healthy plant getting all the macro and micronutrient profile will put out the best it it can.
Worm castings are awesome for macro and micro nutrients, as well as being a great source of humic substances. Have you done any side by side testing with/without on the same clones, and if so what were the differences in terpene profiles you noticed?

@greyfader Look for research papers on terpene production. (study paper <keywords>) You'll find terpene production is linked to micro nutrient availability, pH, temperature, humic substance availability, hydration levels and more. Variability is key, along with having all of the building blocks available. It's a matter of supplying all of the correct building blocks in a healthy environment. I've read a ton of research papers (over 200 on rabbit manure alone!) and the combination of supplying the necessary micro nutrients along with heavyweight humic molecules wins hands down.

@acespicoli The chitosan stuff is awesomely helpful, and something I have been looking to use for a long time now. heh Ty so much. :D

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
To be quite honest with you... didn't think this was a thing. You either have weed that smells some kinda way after it's dry or you don't and nothing you add will change that.

All that pour a bottle of coke in the reservoir to make your plants smoke like Coca-Cola old wife bullshit. 🤷‍♂️

greyfader

Chitin
View attachment 19033390
A close-up of the wing of a leafhopper; the wing is composed of chitin.
View attachment 19033394
Why expensive guano ? Insects...why insects matter ?

Front. Plant Sci., 19 September 2021
Sec. Plant Metabolism and Chemodiversity
Volume 12 - 2021 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2021.721986
"The role of cannabinoids in biotic stress tolerance is consistent with their elevated concentration in flowers where trichome densities are highest. In addition to reducing the risk of pest-related damage, cannabinoids also have antimicrobial properties."

Effects of chitin and chitosan on root growth, biochemical defense response and exudate proteome of Cannabis sativa​

10.1002/pei3.10106

Chicken feed oyster shell from tractor supply cheap...$
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/manna-pro-oyster-shell-50-lb

Agricultural and horticultural use[edit]​

The agricultural and horticultural uses for chitosan, primarily for plant defense and yield increase, are based on how this glucosamine polymer influences the biochemistry and molecular biology of the plant cell. The cellular targets are the plasma membrane and nuclear chromatin. Subsequent changes occur in cell membranes, chromatin, DNA, calcium, MAP kinase, oxidative burst, reactive oxygen species, callose pathogenesis-related (PR) genes, and phytoalexins.[16]

Chitosan was first registered as an active ingredient (licensed for sale) in 1986.[17]

Natural biocontrol and elicitor[edit]​

In agriculture, chitosan is typically used as a natural seed treatment and plant growth enhancer, and as an ecologically friendly biopesticide substance that boosts the innate ability of plants to defend themselves against fungal infections.[18] The natural biocontrol active ingredients, chitin/chitosan, are found in the shells of crustaceans, such as lobsters, crabs, and shrimp, and many other organisms, including insects and fungi. It is one of the most abundant biodegradable materials in the world.[citation needed]

Degraded molecules of chitin/chitosan exist in soil and water. Chitosan applications for plants and crops are regulated in the USA by the EPA, and the USDA National Organic Program regulates its use on organic certified farms and crops.[19] EPA-approved, biodegradable chitosan products are allowed for use outdoors and indoors on plants and crops grown commercially and by consumers.[20]

In the European Union and United Kingdom, chitosan is registered as a "basic substance" for use as a biological fungicide and bactericide on a wide range of crops.[21][22]

The natural biocontrol ability of chitosan should not be confused with the effects of fertilizers or pesticides upon plants or the environment. Chitosan active biopesticides represent a new tier of cost-effective biological control of crops for agriculture and horticulture.[23] The biocontrol mode of action of chitosan elicits natural innate defense responses within plant to resist insects, pathogens, and soil-borne diseases when applied to foliage or the soil.[24] Chitosan increases photosynthesis, promotes and enhances plant growth, stimulates nutrient uptake, increases germination and sprouting, and boosts plant vigor. When used as a seed treatment or seed coating on cotton, corn, seed potatoes, soybeans, sugar beets, tomatoes, wheat, and many other seeds, it elicits an innate immunity response in developing roots which destroys parasitic cyst nematodes without harming beneficial nematodes and organisms.[25]

Agricultural applications of chitosan can reduce environmental stress due to drought and soil deficiencies, strengthen seed vitality, improve stand quality, increase yields, and reduce fruit decay of vegetables, fruits and citrus crops .[26] Horticultural application of chitosan increases blooms and extends the life of cut flowers and Christmas trees. The US Forest Service has conducted research on chitosan to control pathogens in pine trees[27][28] and increase resin pitch outflow which resists pine beetle infestation.[29]

NASA life support GAP technology with untreated beans (left tube) and ODC chitosan biocontrol-treated beans (right tube) returned from the Mir space station aboard the space shuttle – September 1997
Chitosan has a rich history of being researched for applications in agriculture and horticulture dating back to the 1980s.[30] By 1989, chitosan salt solutions were applied to crops for improved freeze protection or to crop seed for seed priming.[31] Shortly thereafter, chitosan salt received the first ever biopesticide label from the EPA, then followed by other intellectual property applications.

Chitosan has been used to protect plants in space, as well, exemplified by NASA's experiment to protect adzuki beans grown aboard the space shuttle and Mir space station in 1997 (see photo left).[32] NASA results revealed chitosan induces increased growth (biomass) and pathogen resistance due to elevated levels of β-(1→3)-glucanase enzymes within plant cells. NASA confirmed chitosan elicits the same effect in plants on earth.[33]

In 2008, the EPA approved natural broad-spectrum elicitor status for an ultralow molecular active ingredient of 0.25% chitosan.[34] A natural chitosan elicitor solution for agriculture and horticultural uses was granted an amended label for foliar and irrigation applications by the EPA in 2009.[26] Given its low potential for toxicity and abundance in the natural environment, chitosan does not harm people, pets, wildlife, or the environment when used according to label directions.[35][36][37] Chitosan blends do not work against bark beetles when put on a tree's leaves or in its soil.[38]

https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/marine-science/articles/10.3389/fmars.2018.00347/full
just dump a 50# bag in a a 6 cu sq ft run of my sig soil mix 🤷‍♂️
Chitin is broadly distributed in the shells of mollusks where it constitutes 3.5 wt%
thank you! i've never tried chitosan.

greyfader

For the past couple of years I used AN pH Perfect Sensi Coco and in many crops of various strains noticed a common honeylike aroma. Looking at the ingredients what I would attribute it to is humic acid, just a guess though.
the commonality of an underlying aroma throughout your multiple strains indicates to me that the humic acid is injecting a flavor and not eliciting a greater terpene profile. if it were creating a stronger terpene profile each strain would display it's unique profile, only stronger.

this is a paper by dr nirit bernstein

it discusses the impact of these substances on cannabinoids but she does not deal with terpenes here.

an excerpt from the discussion;

"Interestingly, HA significantly reduced the natural spatial variability of all of the cannabinoids studied. However, the increased uniformity came at the expense of the higher levels of cannabinoids found in the upper regions of the untreated plants (Figure 4). For example, following HA application THC levels at the top of the plant was reduced from 11.8 to 7.4%, and consequently concentrations throughout the plant height did not differ significantly (Figure 4A)."

Impact of N, P, K, and Humic Acid Supplementation on the Chemical Profile of Medical Cannabis (Cannabis sativa L)

her conclusion on humic acid supplements is that they reduce cannabinoids in the top levels of the plant.

what i have been doing is using perlite as the bulk of the media. to 6 gallons of perlite i have been adding 3 lbs of worm castings and 18 oz's of diatomaceous earth. not mixed throughout the medium but worked into the top few inches. the plants are watered from the top with a drip ring but applied in pulses of approx 1/2 gal every 3-4 hours.

to this, in the recirculating feed tank, i add 1ml fulvic acid per gal (mr fulvic) and a heaping teaspoon of maxi crop kelp powder per 20 gals.

i'm using jack's 3-2-1 as a base nutrient. this combination has noticeably increased the overall flavor but i'm not sure it's increasing the terpene profile.

fulvic acid has a smaller molecule than humic acid and i don't think it is reducing cannabinoids but i have not yet found any research on it.

just a heads up on humic acid. i think that naturally occurring humic acids such as forest floor types may not cause this reduction in cannabinoids but, again, i have not seen any research on the subject.

this is my last plant grown this way.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 56

Rocket Soul

the commonality of an underlying aroma throughout your multiple strains indicates to me that the humic acid is injecting a flavor and not eliciting a greater terpene profile. if it were creating a stronger terpene profile each strain would display it's unique profile, only stronger.

this is a paper by dr nirit bernstein

it discusses the impact of these substances on cannabinoids but she does not deal with terpenes here.

an excerpt from the discussion;

"Interestingly, HA significantly reduced the natural spatial variability of all of the cannabinoids studied. However, the increased uniformity came at the expense of the higher levels of cannabinoids found in the upper regions of the untreated plants (Figure 4). For example, following HA application THC levels at the top of the plant was reduced from 11.8 to 7.4%, and consequently concentrations throughout the plant height did not differ significantly (Figure 4A)."

Impact of N, P, K, and Humic Acid Supplementation on the Chemical Profile of Medical Cannabis (Cannabis sativa L)

her conclusion on humic acid supplements is that they reduce cannabinoids in the top levels of the plant.

what i have been doing is using perlite as the bulk of the media. to 6 gallons of perlite i have been adding 3 lbs of worm castings and 18 oz's of diatomaceous earth. not mixed throughout the medium but worked into the top few inches. the plants are watered from the top with a drip ring but applied in pulses of approx 1/2 gal every 3-4 hours.

to this, in the recirculating feed tank, i add 1ml fulvic acid per gal (mr fulvic) and a heaping teaspoon of maxi crop kelp powder per 20 gals.

i'm using jack's 3-2-1 as a base nutrient. this combination has noticeably increased the overall flavor but i'm not sure it's increasing the terpene profile.

fulvic acid has a smaller molecule than humic acid and i don't think it is reducing cannabinoids but i have not yet found any research on it.

just a heads up on humic acid. i think that naturally occurring humic acids such as forest floor types may not cause this reduction in cannabinoids but, again, i have not seen any research on the subject.

this is my last plant grown this way.
From my experience you can at least increase smell and sharpen up terpene profile using UV and violets; 365-400nm. The effect of added uv seems to be modulated by green amount (less green in the base, more uv effect on smells).

Re Chitosan: ive seen some ppkers try to use megacrop for feed which is a one component nutrient which contains chitosan and a whole bunch of other things YMMV.

Rocket Soul

I use a product called Chitosal, a mixture of oligochitosan and salicylic acid. Supposed to increase terps and resin - can't say for sure if it does what they say without lab analysis, but the plants do get nice and frosty and stinky, they also seem to have good resistance to pathogens and bugs
Have you ever tried the old blind coke/pepsi challenge with and without the Chitosal?
For me its enough that i and people around me is able to able to smell a difference, dont need papers if regular peeps can feel a difference.

acespicoli

I have some garden side by sides now of corn that is over 12 feet tall fertilized
The same corn in the same area no fertilizer directly on it waist high and yellow instead of green

Interesting added fact same canna cut two different growers one was dank the other ordinary...
After some discussion among ourselves we realize shale and coal soil vs sandy soil
The difference was the coal soil is very unique in that its heavy in sulfur deposits
if you dont like skunky weed pass on the sulfur... thiols

Now this strain was specific and so is the soil to a very specific geographic area
Which landed it a article in High Times magazine as word had got around that the smoke was so good
I will say this it was so pungent three plastic bags would not contain it for travel
It had to be kept under glass and metal lids, mason jars

Just one instance of same genetics different enviro's :huggg:

Hear alot about molasses, they have a dry powder version...
If your grow media is lacking any fuels for the metabolic pathways in terp synthesis it will show in the finished product right ?

Unsulfured molasses

screenshot-www.webstaurantstore.com-2024.07.16-09_49_10.png

from wiki-
Many types of molasses on the market are branded unsulfured. In the past, many foods, including molasses, were treated with a sulfur dioxide preservative, helping to kill off moulds and bacteria. Sulfur dioxide is also used as a bleaching agent to help lighten the colour of molasses. Most brands have abandoned the use of sulfur dioxide in molasses because untreated molasses already has a relatively stable natural shelf life. Poor flavour and the trace toxicity of low doses of sulfur dioxide are also factors that have led to its removal.[25]

science direct with citations
Terpenes (also termed isoprenoids) are the most diverse class of natural products and are the most abundant by mass [12]; in cannabis, terpenes account for 3–5% of the dry mass of the inflorescence [13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysaccharide
Polysaccharides (/ˌpɒliˈsækəraɪd/), or polycarbohydrates, are the most abundant carbohydrates found in food. They are long-chain polymeric carbohydrates composed of monosaccharide units bound together by glycosidic linkages. This carbohydrate can react with water (hydrolysis) using amylase enzymes as catalyst, which produces constituent sugars (monosaccharides, or oligosaccharides). They range in structure from linear to highly branched. Examples include storage polysaccharides such as starch, glycogen and galactogen and structural polysaccharides such as cellulose and chitin.
1721137914520.png

1721137941385.png

^^^
At present, it is believed that there is crossover between the two pathways in organisms that use both pathways to create terpenes and terpenoids, such as in plants, and that DMAPP is the crossover product.

Primary energy source: Carbohydrates serve as the primary energy source for plants. Through the process of photosynthesis, plants capture sunlight and convert it into chemical energy stored in the form of carbohydrates, primarily glucose. The basic equation for photosynthesis is:

6 CO2+12 H2O+light energy → C6H12O6+6 O2

Dry powder molasses, and -/+sulfur added to media soil mix
The side by side photos are the proof ;)

This is a passion, thanks for starting a awesome thread @Douglas.Curtis :huggg:

Last edited:

Rocket Soul

I have some garden side by sides now of corn that is over 12 feet tall fertilized
The same corn in the same area no fertilizer directly on it waist high and yellow instead of green

Interesting added fact same canna cut two different growers one was dank the other ordinary...
After some discussion among ourselves we realize shale and coal soil vs sandy soil
The difference was the coal soil is very unique in that its heavy in sulfur deposits
if you dont like skunky weed pass on the sulfur... thiols

Now this strain was specific and so is the soil to a very specific geographic area
Which landed it a article in High Times magazine as word had got around that the smoke was so good
I will say this it was so pungent three plastic bags would not contain it for travel
It had to be kept under glass and metal lids, mason jars

Just one instance of same genetics different enviro's :huggg:

Hear alot about molasses, they have a dry powder version...
If your grow media is lacking any fuels for the metabolic pathways in terp synthesis it will show in the finished product right ?

Unsulfured molasses

View attachment 19033535
from wiki-
Many types of molasses on the market are branded unsulfured. In the past, many foods, including molasses, were treated with a sulfur dioxide preservative, helping to kill off moulds and bacteria. Sulfur dioxide is also used as a bleaching agent to help lighten the colour of molasses. Most brands have abandoned the use of sulfur dioxide in molasses because untreated molasses already has a relatively stable natural shelf life. Poor flavour and the trace toxicity of low doses of sulfur dioxide are also factors that have led to its removal.[25]

science direct with citations
Terpenes (also termed isoprenoids) are the most diverse class of natural products and are the most abundant by mass [12]; in cannabis, terpenes account for 3–5% of the dry mass of the inflorescence [13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysaccharide
Polysaccharides (/ˌpɒliˈsækəraɪd/), or polycarbohydrates, are the most abundant carbohydrates found in food. They are long-chain polymeric carbohydrates composed of monosaccharide units bound together by glycosidic linkages. This carbohydrate can react with water (hydrolysis) using amylase enzymes as catalyst, which produces constituent sugars (monosaccharides, or oligosaccharides). They range in structure from linear to highly branched. Examples include storage polysaccharides such as starch, glycogen and galactogen and structural polysaccharides such as cellulose and chitin.
View attachment 19033536
View attachment 19033537
^^^
At present, it is believed that there is crossover between the two pathways in organisms that use both pathways to create terpenes and terpenoids, such as in plants, and that DMAPP is the crossover product.

Dry powder molasses, and -/+sulfur added to media soil mix
The side by side photos are the proof ;)

This is a passion, thanks for starting a awesome thread @Douglas.Curtis :huggg:
Did not quite understand that bit about the sulfur; are we to take that sulfured molasses would be better at adding terps and smells?
Ive read just a little about the terp/sulfur thing but people seem to say it has to do with the smell of "volatiles" or solvent like. We recently had something similar to this on our newest light fixture with a full complement of wide red and blue uv supplement but it hasnt been running for enough time for me to really make any statements on it, just that it smells doper than plain white.

Latest posts

Latest posts