What's new

Best Cloning Hormone Products?

Stone

What is everyone using for their rooting powder/gel?

Do you prefer gel or powder?

What % IBA?

Any benefits to adding 1NA?

I’m looking at Root n’ Grow with 1% IBA and .5% 1NA.

Probably good ol Hormex for IBA powder.

Has anyone tried turning a powder product into a gel?

I’m thinking something like mixing hormex in Aloe Vera gel.

Thanks in advance🙏🏻

mudballs

I have both but mostly im using gel. I don't have any corn starch or I'd try creating a paste/gel out of the rootboost powder. I use the powder in a cup of water to let cuttings sit in while i work during large clone cutting sessions. IBA isn't water soluble but it don't matter the cutting is picking up IBA molecules while it waits for me to get to it and then gel dip and into rockwool cube.
Screenshot_20240627-063806_Gallery.jpg

Stone

I have both but mostly im using gel. I don't have any corn starch or I'd try creating a paste/gel out of the rootboost powder. I use the powder in a cup of water to let cuttings sit in while i work during large clone cutting sessions. IBA isn't water soluble but it don't matter the cutting is picking up IBA molecules while it waits for me to get to it and then gel dip and into rockwool cube.
View attachment 19023832
That’s how I was thinking of using the IBA powder.

Any info on 1NA with IBA?
Not many products carry it.
Hydrofarm Root n Grow, plus one other I’ve seen.

mudballs

That’d be awesome.
I’m thinking it’s also an auxin, but I’ll research too to see.
It seems NAA or 1NA is actually better at inducing roots than IBA, but for some reason all of our marketed rooting hormones are IBA based...i can't find out why. They use NAA mostly in crops and orchards to control sucker growth (new branches at ground level they dont want) and/insecticide...they're both auxin family, IBA is found in nature whereas NAA is a synthetic, I'm guessing that's why all our rooting products are IBA based...nothing I've seen in my short research says dont use NAA...and a few studies used it in conjunction with other compounds...i say if you can get, fk yeah, use 1NA. It might be a stability issue too, you know shelf life and what not

Last edited:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe the manufacturers use IBA as its easier to market as organic regardless of its efficacy.

Used to use hormone that came in a bottle in alcohol , mixed with water and wallpaper paste containing fungicide it was excellent for hardwood and softwood cuttings.

superx

Veteran
I normally use clonex, but also rooted clones without any hormone gel.

The clones without the rooting hormone gel seemed to take longer, was the only difference I noticed.

Stone

It seems NAA or 1NA is actually better at inducing roots than IBA, but for some reason all of our marketed rooting hormones are IBA based...i can't find out why. They use NAA mostly in crops and orchards to control sucker growth (new branches at ground level they dont want) and/insecticide...they're both auxin family, IBA is found in nature whereas NAA is a synthetic, I'm guessing that's why all our rooting products are IBA based...nothing I've seen in my short research says dont use NAA...and a few studies used it in conjunction with other compounds...i say if you can get, fk yeah, use 1NA. It might be a stability issue too, you know shelf life and what not
Great info!
Lines up with what I’m seeing.

I suspect regulations are also the culprit to why 1NA isn’t used as much.
Going on Amazon (unfortunately), backs this up.
Products with 1NA are listed unable to ship to like 40+ states.
Fortunately not mine😁

Now I’m left wondering if a ratio of the two would be ideal?

KLN from DynaGrow has .07% IBA, and 1% 1NA.
Dip n Grow from hydrofarm has 1% IBA and .5% 1NA.

Hormex has a full line of only IBA concentrations.

I’m thinking of grabbing both KLN and Hormex.
Either .8% or 1.6% IBA on the hormex.
Probably grab 1.6 hormex and dilute if needed.

Anyone see a problem with that for cannabis?
They recommend both concentrations for hemp.

I don’t personally use no dome.
Last run I actually used an ultrasonic humidifier on a cycle timer to keep fresh air and humidity.

But many water cloning machines come with no dome.
I’m sure it’s possible in a reasonably high room humidity and low water temps.

I’m looking to transition to water clones soon.