What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bad timing --- What if you plant something too late ?

Cuddles

So, I couldn´t buy any seeds on time (mostly due to additional bills and general cost of living) . Now I have a little cash to buy some BUT I´m asking myself: Can I still get a smokable result at all?
Should I go with autos or can I get the photoperiod ones too?
Grow odour and discretion is a huge issue when growing on the balcony (it really is an issue when you are surrounded by gossiping and mean, bitchy neighbours).
Climate is the same as UK, Netherlands etc

I want one strain for daytime - energy, get things done, creative and uplifting etc
And one for evening - relaxing but no couch lock, sleeping whilst feeling content, ant-anxiety + stress

I´m looking at these strains but I can only choose 3 :

Bubble gum - photo or auto
Northern Lights - photo or auto
Top 44 - photo
Lemon Juice OG ( OG#18 and Lemon Skunk) - photo
white widow - photo or auto
purple haze - photo or auto

My first 2 choices were Bubble Gum and Lemon Juice but now I´m not so sure of the lemon juice anymore.

So, any thoughts and input are very much appreciated as I´ll have to send the order of ASAP, lol :)

doublezero

Planting a photo now would very much be like "12/12" from seed, wouldn't it?
I remember having seen good results. With todays autos you would probably get more yield. Just a guess.

For the strains - there is really too much to choose from. I am sure someone with a better view of the modern market will provide you with some options. :)

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Might be running out of time , 10 ish weeks of potentially good weather till low light and mould ends them here in SW UK.
But you could possibly finish them off with lights indoors if needed , do that myself most seasons,

Dont put much faith in flower times listed , optimistic at best and outright lies at worst.

Cuddles

Planting a photo now would very much be like "12/12" from seed, wouldn't it?
I remember having seen good results. With todays autos you would probably get more yield. Just a guess.

For the strains - there is really too much to choose from. I am sure someone with a better view of the modern market will provide you with some options. :)
thanks.
I was wondering if I can do a photoperiod and they will just end up being really small ...? I´m not sure if they need a longer grow/veg phase for quality buds?

If we get 12/12 natural light, won´t it be like growing auto anyway?

Reactions: GMT

Cuddles

Might be running out of time , 10 ish weeks of potentially good weather till low light and mould ends them here in SW UK.
But you could possibly finish them off with lights indoors if needed , do that myself most seasons,

Dont put much faith in flower times listed , optimistic at best and outright lies at worst.
I agree with you - even the autos I´ve had required much more time than stated,lol.

I´m not sure which of the strains I have mentioned are mould resistant. But if all else fails then perhaps I could keep them by the window in the living room. The window is pretty large and only about 70-80 cm from the floor.
But I reckon outdoor would be better as they will get more sunshine :)

An indoor set up is totally out of the question these days :(
our Energy company keeps telling me that I used more electricity (just like last year) but this is impossible!
I haven´t used more these past 2 years but LESS than previous years! Those b****** just keep putting the prices up and over charging us, that´s all.

doublezero

I would go for autos when its for yield. The possibility to put your plants inside is avalid option. I've done it before and was surprised by the result. :)

Maybe check some grow reports for issues with your desired strains beforehand.

Cuddles

I would go for autos when its for yield. The possibility to put your plants inside is avalid option. I've done it before and was surprised by the result. :)

Maybe check some grow reports for issues with your desired strains beforehand.
I would actually like to test the strains this year. So if I like them I know which ones to plant next year ;) maybe make some seeds too- who knows ;)
I guess this is all I can do for the time being.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be careful to not to rush too fast with new seedlings. I started some for a balcony and maybe a greenhouse grow earlier this month and put three of them outside on the balcony, as three is the magic number now for Germans, after the new laws. Of course I've heard of hardening plants slowly but I placed them into full sun, south balcony. The result is astounding. The 3 of them stopped development completely for weeks now while their sisters under the cfl lamps are looking great. So I put them back under the cfl lamps and...nothing changed. I wonder what caused this severe reaction and I will try to get them back to life nonetheless. I made a side by side photo of them compared to their cfl sisters.
Other thing is, maybe it's an option for you to have some clones getting shipped to you? There are black market sellers and also the Austrian legal shops who now ship to Germany and maybe other European countries too? Anyway here's the picture, lol.

Attachments

• 20240730_225452.jpg
    20240730_225452.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21

F_T_P!

So, I couldn´t buy any seeds on time (mostly due to additional bills and general cost of living) . Now I have a little cash to buy some BUT I´m asking myself: Can I still get a smokable result at all?
Should I go with autos or can I get the photoperiod ones too?
Grow odour and discretion is a huge issue when growing on the balcony (it really is an issue when you are surrounded by gossiping and mean, bitchy neighbours).
Climate is the same as UK, Netherlands etc

I want one strain for daytime - energy, get things done, creative and uplifting etc
And one for evening - relaxing but no couch lock, sleeping whilst feeling content, ant-anxiety + stress

I´m looking at these strains but I can only choose 3 :

Bubble gum - photo or auto
Northern Lights - photo or auto
Top 44 - photo
Lemon Juice OG ( OG#18 and Lemon Skunk) - photo
white widow - photo or auto
purple haze - photo or auto

My first 2 choices were Bubble Gum and Lemon Juice but now I´m not so sure of the lemon juice anymore.

So, any thoughts and input are very much appreciated as I´ll have to send the order of ASAP, lol :)
Finish it inside.

Cuddles

Be careful to not to rush too fast with new seedlings. I started some for a balcony and maybe a greenhouse grow earlier this month and put three of them outside on the balcony, as three is the magic number now for Germans, after the new laws. Of course I've heard of hardening plants slowly but I placed them into full sun, south balcony. The result is astounding. The 3 of them stopped development completely for weeks now while their sisters under the cfl lamps are looking great. So I put them back under the cfl lamps and...nothing changed. I wonder what caused this severe reaction and I will try to get them back to life nonetheless. I made a side by side photo of them compared to their cfl sisters.
Other thing is, maybe it's an option for you to have some clones getting shipped to you? There are black market sellers and also the Austrian legal shops who now ship to Germany and maybe other European countries too? Anyway here's the picture, lol.
no chance of getting my hands on clones, let alone the strains i want :(
I think I´ll just get 2 seeds and see what happens ;)

Last edited:

Asentrouw

If you are lucky and with the right genetics you could still have a nice harvest around october if you are lucky with the weather. Photo or auto doesn't really matter.

Just make sure to buy some good early and hardy outdoor strains. Some auto's can finish in around 10 weeks, light sensative photo's can take a bit longer. Don't expect ounces, but it can still give a nice stash.

Most of the strains you name are not always suited for northern outdoor growing, as they are usually bred in different climates (like Spain) by most commercial seed companies. That's nice for indoors, but can cause some issues outside (for instance flowers to late or lacks resistance to humid/cold conditions).

No need to play around with lights, unless you want to go fully indoor. Once the seeds pop just put them on the balcony in the full sun, just make sure there is no dome and the soil remains moist. They'll do just fine.

Last edited:

Cuddles

thanks for all your input so far :)

I´ve finally put my foot down (on my own indecisiveness) and I´m ready to order.
Unfortunately the seed seller hasn´t been responding to any of my emails :( Dunno why but I´m guessing they might be on vacation or something???
So I don´t even know whether my order will be processed or not aaarrgh
Luckily I haven´t sent my order and payment yet, phew!

Cuddles

I have a question I´like to ask at this point - are you -as in growers in Germany now also allowed to sell clones and seeds legally ? Or is still hush, hush?
The legalization in Germany seems to have come with so many `ifs and buts´ somehow - kinda half baked in way, lol :unsure:

btw, I don´t really have any such contacts (anymore) these days ;) But just out of curiosity, how much do people pay sell them for?

xtsho

I´ve finally put my foot down (on my own indecisiveness) and I´m ready to order.
Unfortunately the seed seller hasn´t been responding to any of my emails :( Dunno why but I´m guessing they might be on vacation or something???

You're running out of time. Buy some seeds from another vendor.

Cactus Squatter

It’s too bad you aren’t the same lat and climate I am, tons of my friends are just starting this week with seedlings and clones. We always get a decent grow in as long as we’re in by mid August.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a question I´like to ask at this point - are you -as in growers in Germany now also allowed to sell clones and seeds legally ? Or is still hush, hush?
The legalization in Germany seems to have come with so many `ifs and buts´ somehow - kinda half baked in way, lol :unsure:

btw, I don´t really have any such contacts (anymore) these days ;) But just out of curiosity, how much do people pay sell them for?
The public prosecutors and ĺaw commentators say that shops can't sell clones or seeds but the actual law doesn't say this directly. It's probably a definition thing. Cannabis grower's clubs can sell clones and seeds but only 5-7 per person and month, if I remember correctly. We can import clones from Austria or anywhere in Europe and seeds from European countries. So the Austrian clone sellers are probably the happy winners for now. We can only own 50 grams of anything and carry 25 grams in public. But if you have 60,5 grams of a 30% THC strain then it's a heavy crime, because everything over 60 grams weed or shit and containing more than 7,5 grams THC is a crime. The only good thing is that cannabis smell isn't a cause for a search warrant anymore. So it feels a bit more free but actually isn't.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Which seller?

Latest posts

Latest posts