back from the cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
Hi McSnappler,

To win the Cup next year, or at least place high, I reckon this is needed:

- A good, strong elite clone with bag appeal (many to choose from!), preferably rare which people don't know well.

- A properly fed and dialled-in grow (in organics), a mixed spectrum of HPS and MH, and a lot of light to bring out the best in the plants (growth, density, bud formation, etc)

- A proper and thorough flush, with yellow leaves at the end, showing the plants have used up all the nutes

- A 2 week slow dry with the correct temps and humidity

- A month cure (minimum)

- Good, secure packaging to protect the buds from being damaged.

If all that is done, I'd say you've got a potential winner on your hands!!!

The bar has been raised, so now it's time to rise to the challenge!!

Peace

thanks... for the insight :wink:

B

British_Bulldog

JamieShoes said:
thanks... my name is Jamie ;)

Hi Jamie,

Yes indeed! I should have addressed my reply to you! Instead I added to what McSnappler was saying!!

I think if you did all that (and everyone else did too!) then next year's Cup would be fantastic!!

This year was great, and there were some strong entries, although if everyone did all of the above then it would make judging extremely difficult....firstly from the point of view that they'd all be killer, and because of that people would probably be too mashed to judge anyway, lolol

All the best,
BB

B

British_Bulldog

Hi randude,

Well, this is how the judges did it this year - they were looking for samples which cut through the others, that's a good gauge of high grade!

This year it worked well, because there were only a few really potent entries.

However, if there are a lot more powerful entries next year (from elites, etc), then it will become a lot more difficult! That's what I was saying, because they wouldn't cut through each other, they'd just destroy the judges!! lololol

Peace

JamieShoes

Veteran
Hi Jamie,

Yes indeed! I should have addressed my reply to you! Instead I added to what McSnappler was saying!!
BB

no worries mate, I'm going to be following your advice all the same :wink:

I agree too... if everyone took that much care over their harvest.. the world would be a much sweeter place :smile:

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
LMAO, good one mcsnappler. I just read this whole thread. Why is everyone bitchin bout 300 bucks? You all grow money on trees, stop complaining! Hell, i could host an ENTIRE 420cup every month soley using money from a simple 4 light grow setup.

Ickis

Veteran
Here is how I entered and I feel I was close enough that my method has as good a chance as any.

First buy a bunch of good seeds or have friends give you some or make a few crosses yourself. Then actually start the seeds that you paid out the ass for. Yes you have to plant those $300 seeds not store them forever.

Then presex them and weed out the males unless you are making a cross. Now plant them in meadows, along streams or rivers and in the cornfields. Water and feed them if you want to. I used Miracle Grow or Peters and some leftover bat guano I had. Use a fence if you definitely want to get a harvest.

When they have flowered for awhile you will start to see the potential entrants. The buds will tell you.

As far as drying I do the standard hang and dry for 4-5 days then I dry until snap in paper bags or pizza boxes. Then to jars until I need them. I made a mistake letting it in the jar 6 months. I should have let it cure for 3 months and then seal a meal it. The bouquet would have been better. It kept a lot of skunk smell but lost the hashy citrus odor it had too.

Then as I smoked I could tell the best ones. I narrowed it down to 5 or 6 and had my friends over to decide which one to enter.

Then I weighed up an ounce and added 3 or 4 grams for old pink to sample and stuck them in a zip lock bag. Then I stuck it in another zip lock and taped it shut with clear packing tape.

Then I put that in a cigarette tobacco cardboard can and completely sealed that with clear packing tape. I put that in a small box and really sealed that with clear packing tape. That went in an everyday box to mail in and was taped. I put the address and then I put clear tape over that to keep it weather proof.

Then I mailed it and held on to my ass until it got there. I PM'd old pink and ask him to let my entry in the tobacco can sealed up until the very last minute he had to take it out and start dividing so it would stay like I cured it and not dry out. And when I saw the pics of the entries there was mine in the can. Old Pink did just what I ask. Call me crazy but that pic proved to me the contest was legit. He could have just laid my weed out. He did exactly what I ask.

OH yeah I forgot. First you start trash talking a year before the event and warn everybody that you are coming and you are kicking ass and taking names when you enter. Then ojd, sqwirl, Doctor Dee and cloudz all put a bit of a beatdown on you. But it doesn't stop you. It gets you hungrier for victory than ever before so you get ready for next year.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry Jamie I'm a bit late replying...What they all said..Not much to add now really except I raise lights a foot in the last week to protect terpenes and always try to chop after dark period if possible.
If Pot growing I would let them dry out a little(not totally) in the pots before chopping as I think they cure best if chopped when not bursting with water. In Bio-systems or hydro dont water for a day or 2 before cutting. Oh and some Molasses or other natural carbs mid flower or pre-flush makes a sweeter bud IMO. Oh and I only remove big leaves before drying and I dry as long as poss in Huge vented unbleached carboard boxes with rails until last few days,when I chop to colas and finish on racks or in PaperBags.Then manicure very carefully although some manicure before drying but I dont like it meself...Then cure Only in glass for as long as the strain dictates..I don't set mins and maxes on curetime as I grow many diff individuals of many diff lines.Some ARE better not cured for more than a couple of weeks..Others taste great after many months(even years) of cure..but they DO lose potency after a few months usually and wouldn't compete on Potency with a less cured entry..THC can only Degrade once converted it doesn't go the other way after sitting somewhere for too long..Thats Impossible.
Good luck mate....JBo ;]
PS. Breed,buy,beg,borrow or liberate a good plant or preferably lots of good plants and pick the best one of them...lol..

JamieShoes

Veteran
Lots of excellent information here, thanks guys :smile:

I hadnt heard of raising the lamp to avoid terpin damage, but that sounds sensible, and I'm very interested to hear that some herbs can potentially be "over cured".. that's something else I hadnt considered...where/how do you store your herb after it's been "glass" cured?

I see Ickis says he uses a "seal a meal" is that like a an iron shut bag or vacuum sealed?

thanks again
j :smile:

(you getting all this good stuff, Snap? :D)

K

Karma Genetics

All cuts came from seed.

Plant seeds and find your elite's thats the way to go. When 3 people enter the White next year non of them will proberly win just because they aint sticking out. Your own thing will always be uniek.

B

British_Bulldog

All cuts came from seed.

Plant seeds and find your elite's thats the way to go. When 3 people enter the White next year non of them will proberly win just because they aint sticking out. Your own thing will always be uniek.

Hi Karma,

It's right that all elites came from seed, but we've had this conversation on here before (maybe not you exactly, but I remember it! lol).

Although it's true about coming from seed, in my experience it has taken starting 100 seeds to get maybe 1 which could be worthy.

Not many people have that much space to experiment with, which is why I suggested getting a rare elite for the Cup.

If it's more rare, then people wouldn't know it already, like the White as you suggest.

Of course, I'd like to smoke a surprise elite grown found from seed too, but the chances of that are a lot lower than getting an already recognised elite.

If it was me, I'd rather spend my time dialling in one of the greats than searching for another, *then* spending a few cycles dialling it in.

I think to win you need to do organics too, as hydro doesn't have the taste factor!

Peace

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would love to be the strain muse. The guy that gives good ideas to great breeders. They could pay me in bud, and chocolate chip cookies.

H

Hazyfontazy

I think to win you need to do organics too, as hydro doesn't have the taste factor!

Peace

:laughing: OJD this years multi cup winner grows in coco ,previous years casey jones in coco by true ,ecsd entered and won grown using gh now grow in coco ,greatfullhead and rez both use coco and gh ,herbalizor one of the best growers on the net and a chief tester for rez has just switched back to coco because he couldnt get the flavours as good in plagron organic,1 man i know used gold label special organics ,it required only 1 low feed dose throughout its cycle the rest was plain water ,,it tastes crap

organics lol if u want the tastiest weed get coco (hydro)

p.s the bit about chopping in the dark is very important

Dr. D

Veteran
I use coco too with organic additives, but i still think iv had better tasting organic weed but never had the chance to do em side by side and do a real taste test with the same cut......

B

British_Bulldog

Hi Hazy,

Yes coco is a good (semi-hydroponic) medium, and I've had very good and tasty results from it too.

Maybe it's strain dependant, but I think on the whole a good homemade organic mix gives a better tasting result than pure coco.

Perhaps the store-bought organics aren't good, but if you tailor the organic mix to the plant then the taste would be better than coco in most cases I'd think. Of course this requires experimentation and tailoring to get it right.

However, coco growing is easy and the weed tastes great too, I was just saying compared to a water-based full hydro set-up, like NFT, flood & drain, etc.

Peace

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how to prepare you crop for the cup

have a very good strain
not a medioka strain as you might aswell keep your hard earned ounce

i will be entering 1 of my own crosses next year or even a few
see if i can win with 1 of my own creations g13haze x sssdh(sexing now) g13haze x nevils mango= nevil the g(sexing now) this is going to be real hazy i cant wait
dont take it early,take it an extra week like karma says for extra potency

give it a dam good flush 2week minimum but i like to go for 3 if i can

trim it really good(i am the worst trimmer so dont copy me)lol
you will lose points if it dont look amazing

and send it in a crush proof container with plenty of time for it to arive(i nearly didnt get the chocolope in on time)

also id like add a few things on the organic thing
the best plant i ever did was in bio bizz allmix organic soil fed with bio bizz
it was a sssdh and it was the best pot ive ever smoked
3 week flush and fed a real low feed(ive grown 100x more soil than coco so maybe i can beat that plant with a coco 1 overtime

both the cups i just won were grown on a wilma sytem in coco pots recirculated with cana a-b and bcuzz bloom stimulator
i give them rhizotonic for the first week in the sytem thats it
nothing else,im one of those guys who dont want to be feeding all this crap to my plants unless its a massive diference
i try things but normaly revert back to the basics

the sssdh i entered was my first go at a wilma sytem so was not as clean as i wanted it
the cholope was my 2nd run with the wilm sytem and i got it much beter dialed in

so it really doesnt make a diference what sytem you grow on,they can all have amazing tasting herb
just flush it like crazy(thats my moto)

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
anyone interested there is some of my seeds on seedbay for the 420 cup donation/server upgrade

g13haze male(soma's)x
east coast sour diesel
og kush bx
amnesia haze(sideshow bob cut)

you should be able to get them real cheap
check em out

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Excellent tips guys,

I grew my Trainwreck in Coco, Canna A+B, 2ml/L max, then tapwater for the last week or 10 days.

Lights, as per the thread I started, halved and raised up +18" for the last 15 days, the cooler temps make for a more flavoursome bud IMO.

As OJD says, trim perfectly and package with no crushing at all, sadly I was not quite up on that one......

I am also thinking of selecting 30x 1g perfect buds so the organisers do not have to chop up nice big fat buds into less than perfect chunks, a small difference, but appearance is 25%, you have taken 2 or 3 months to grow it why not mess around for another hour to pick out the very best.

Finally thanks to Gypsy and OP for putting on such a great event, I had a fantastic time and met some great people, I am already looking forward to 2010 - if the Swine Flu does not get us alll first ;-)

D

danny karey

Hell yeah OJD, Im interested for sure!!!!!!!! Please send them in dude, alot of happy people with those crosses. Congrats on the win as well.'

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts