What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflowering tropical Sativas (NLD)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
we always just called it heavy pre flower ,
seems to describe it suitably for our purposes ,
ive seen the term used here before too ...

the semi auto term tends to suggest those plants are going to fully flower with longer hours ,
but they are not and will not , they are simply stuck between veging and flowering ..
there is no ruderalis traits in these sativas ,
they will not flower and complete their cycle with long days ...

ive grown several zamal plants , and crosses of them ,
and ive seen other tropical sativas do similar ,
however planted at the right time in their home soil ,
there is no issues and they just behave normally ....

goingrey

we always just called it heavy pre flower ,
seems to describe it suitably for our purposes ,
ive seen the term used here before too ...

the semi auto term tends to suggest those plants are going to fully flower with longer hours ,
but they are not and will not , they are simply stuck between veging and flowering ..
there is no ruderalis traits in these sativas ,
they will not flower and complete their cycle with long days ...

ive grown several zamal plants , and crosses of them ,
and ive seen other tropical sativas do similar ,
however planted at the right time in their home soil ,
there is no issues and they just behave normally ....
Some strains do fully flower with relatively long days though, even if they don't under 24 hours. I think some hemp strain even at 20 hours and many drug cultivars with less but still more than 12.

Sure calling them early flowering is more accurate but sometimes when you have a plant that's just throwing out pistils it's difficult so say what exactly is going on, so a catch-all term like semi-auto becomes useful.

Zeta Reticuli

Anyway i found this false "semiautomatic" trait usefull for us growers,its better that normal photoperiod plant
shows sex for 3 weeks from seed like Choco Chiba does than wait 6-7 weeks to see what sex they are in the end.

After repot in bigger pots CC grows normaly like all other plants,doesnt show too early preflowering and
doesnt finishes flowering like ruderalis does.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Some strains do fully flower with relatively long days though, even if they don't under 24 hours. I think some hemp strain even at 20 hours and many drug cultivars with less but still more than 12.

Sure calling them early flowering is more accurate but sometimes when you have a plant that's just throwing out pistils it's difficult so say what exactly is going on, so a catch-all term like semi-auto becomes useful.
yes thats true ,
especially of some indicas ,
but tropical sativas dont do it ,
and thats what this thread is about ...
'
auto flowering tropical sativas ,
You see the term semi auto has created some confusion as to what these plants actually do ,
this is what happens using terminology that is not really accurate ,
i mean u can use it , sure why not , if you want ,
im not some terminology police or something like that ,
but u can see its not really accurate , and it creates confusion ...
this is all i am addressing with my responses ...

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Maybe you can give us a reasoned argument in a language we can understand so we can learn something, instead of bleating like a drooling retard in every post? 🤣👎
Just start by growing landrace pure sat yourself and without 18/6 veg! :biggrin: :crazy: Even cloning works under 12/12.

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Here's St Vincent from water glass near window, mid November 47°N.
IMGP1062 (2).JPG

goingrey

Is this from Denmark? Up here we have a strain named like that, and as far as I know is not at all thai related.
Blue hemp had one callede thaifun.
Lovely plants No matter what. 🙂👍
Cheers
What are the genetics of Thyphoon, do you know?

I know the name is because of Thylejren, not Thailand. But no idea about the genetics, could even be Thai?

420empire

Veteran
What are the genetics of Thyphoon, do you know?

I know the name is because of Thylejren, not Thailand. But no idea about the genetics, could even be Thai?
Hi.
Yes sort of, I have meet the Guy "behind" thyphoon, aka Thy pot. Smoked some of this herb on his bong, he strong but mellow. Other spin off from this strain is Brunhilda and valhalla.
So he moved from zealand to the mainland (Jutland) as 14 year old he colletecd this strain in late 1960'es from a monastery. He told me he dug up some plants from this place and bhrought them home and then open pollinated them. Then he in breed them for years. He told me that i inbreed it with Hollands Hope (I think) and actually Won the amsterdam cup in 2003??
So I have seeds directly from the guy, and a friend of mine grown the out. Some herms, some auto traits. But some hyprids Are lovely and really fruity. Would love to clean this line up.
Again i think this line is " contaminated " With cultivars from neighbors in the camp Thylejren so after all these years it 's maybe a mix if many things.
Bless

goingrey

Hi.
Yes sort of, I have meet the Guy "behind" thyphoon, aka Thy pot. Smoked some of this herb on his bong, he strong but mellow. Other spin off from this strain is Brunhilda and valhalla.
So he moved from zealand to the mainland (Jutland) as 14 year old he colletecd this strain in late 1960'es from a monastery. He told me he dug up some plants from this place and bhrought them home and then open pollinated them. Then he in breed them for years. He told me that i inbreed it with Hollands Hope (I think) and actually Won the amsterdam cup in 2003??
So I have seeds directly from the guy, and a friend of mine grown the out. Some herms, some auto traits. But some hyprids Are lovely and really fruity. Would love to clean this line up.
Again i think this line is " contaminated " With cultivars from neighbors in the camp Thylejren so after all these years it 's maybe a mix if many things.
Bless
A monastery in Zealand? He stole some plants from the medicinal garden in Æbelholt Abbey? :D

Really enjoyed Thyphoon when I grew it many years ago. Got it from Zen Seeds IIRC.

HTCC 2003 winner was Hawaiian Snow, must be some other cup..

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Ya @420empire :) A Thyphoon photo that i saved in my archive years ago but without its source sorry for its Swedish grower!

Thai origin or not it's plausible pure sat acclimatized and it very looks like i think! Its reputed quality also differs from ruderalis but i think that with time and more generations its qualities should decrease drastically in high latitude. Solution can be backcrossing to pure sat again.

Zealand abbey connected with New Zealand ? :biggrin: ?

420empire

Veteran
A monastery in Zealand? He stole some plants from the medicinal garden in Æbelholt Abbey? :D

Really enjoyed Thyphoon when I grew it many years ago. Got it from Zen Seeds IIRC.

HTCC 2003 winner was Hawaiian Snow, must be some other cup..
He he so you know Zealand ? ;) Nahh He said something bout old Estrup, but what I can see it´s a old Estate from year 1500. Nothing bout monks... but hey the guy is and old stoner.
Again I hope to meet him again and the story one more time.

Regarding the 2004 winner , dunno it could also be 1998, and it´s the outdoor not indoor.

Ya @420empire :) A Thyphoon photo that i saved in my archive years ago but without its source sorry for its Swedish grower!

Thai origin or not it's plausible pure sat acclimatized and it very looks like i think! Its reputed quality also differs from ruderalis but i think that with time and more generations its qualities should decrease drastically in high latitude. Solution can be backcrossing to pure sat again.

Zealand abbey connected with New Zealand ? :biggrin: ?

It´s such a lovely pic you have of her Roms!, but the line has many phenos so could come from a heck of lot incrossed cultivars. Again i think the line has been contaminated / bleessed with stray pollen from other growers in the area. I love your passion for this and your swazi + other cultivars you do. :D
No not at all, Zealand in our written langauge is = Sjælland. It comes from the viking launge old norse so they called it Siolundi meaning the island of seals.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
No not at all, Zealand in our written langauge is = Sjælland. It comes from the viking launge old norse so they called it Siolundi meaning the island of seals.

I was thinking more about the old relationship between Dutch, Danish and maritime navigation/explorations, spice trade sea routes etc. Cannabis there is as old as the cooper age but there have surely been multiple waves of importation and a certain heredity for the passion. :canabis:

but hey the guy is and old stoner.
Again I hope to meet him again and the story one more time.
If you meet him again please say hej from me about the purity or not of Thyphoon and the hypothetic Dutch "Zeeland" connection!?

420empire

Veteran
I was thinking more about the old relationship between Dutch, Danish and maritime navigation/explorations, spice trade sea routes etc. Cannabis there is as old as the cooper age but there have surely been multiple waves of importation and a certain heredity for the passion. :canabis:

If you meet him again please say hej from me about the purity or not of Thyphoon and the hypothetic Dutch "Zeeland" connection!?
ahh I see where you get at. Yes could possible be that way. Rumours is that there is a strain called Christian the 4th ( a danish king way back 1600) if you have seen the news lately we had a big fire in this old building called "børsen" it´s the old danish wall street you could say, it was keept intact from 1600 until now unfortunetley..
Therer is a family that had kept it for 400 years , though this culitvar has been crossed to skunk once ( auch). I once was offered these seeds but delined ... so stupid ! This old king actually demanded farmers to grow cannabis on their proberty otherwise the would be punished.
Dunno if it´s mixed in this thyphoon though... who knows

Denmark had colonies on the gold coast, sri lanka and the virgin island which we sold to USA in the begning of 1900. So yes could be and old connection. I will go to the liberary and research some more.

Of course i will say hi from you Roms. no doubt, and get the story sorted out. :)

1713957971617.png
1713958147009.png
1713958244310.png

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Wow shocking fire!, everywhere nowadays it's crazy, criminal satanist in power that we need to burn too, apocalypse times nah, One love in return, take care.

Big up Danmark ja "Autoflowering North sativa" thanks high latitude, more hand in hand with Sueden than Netherlands... I wonder at what °N does ruderalis really start?

Last edited:

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. I don't know if the Mango Zamal I grew was flowering independently of day lenght or if it was a heavy preflowering. The case is that it was very interesting to have ripe buds in the hottest months of the year with long days under the scorching sun of the summer. You can grow tropical buds at 36ºN. Sadly the breeder actually crossed the Zamal with a Skunk, not with a Southern India landrace as he claimed.

cbotany

yes thats true ,
especially of some indicas ,
but tropical sativas dont do it ,
and thats what this thread is about ...
'
auto flowering tropical sativas ,
You see the term semi auto has created some confusion as to what these plants actually do ,
this is what happens using terminology that is not really accurate ,
i mean u can use it , sure why not , if you want ,
im not some terminology police or something like that ,
but u can see its not really accurate , and it creates confusion ...
this is all i am addressing with my responses ...
I've had acer (who i still need to get seeds out to you ! I don't know if you remember me from instagram we talked of honey and what not) not want to flower at 12/12 some sativas really want 11/13 or even lower, they're kinda crazy, i'm working some ruderalis (russtucky from my buddy) that their hybrids can reveg, but i can't figure out how, I think its photo time, ontop of root space.

cbotany

Some strains as an evolutionary trait throw preflower at internode sites and can make seeds in veg, Syrians have this trait, my friend worked them quite a bit! But its not true flower as growers see it, there's a huge gene pool we're just tapping into. If you went through millions of equatorial sativas you may find a few that truely are not effected by light cycle.