What's new

Autoflowering tropical Sativas (NLD)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
There are very vague definitions of different flower triggers. It induces pre flowers by root restriction is so far the most detailed info on it. Thank you for sharing that aspect. Personally, I am all about what these plants do, not matter how its called. So if you have personal experience or more infos on it, you are very welcome to share it here.
Do you know which triggers and combinations thereof are needed to finish those Zamal type plants?
Wether or not they are auto, they are part of a natural environment in which they are able to grow flowers and reproduce. So looking at the environment and what happens here could be quite interesting.
they are sensitive to small changes in day length ,
]im sure running them at a 18/6 regime messes with their internal clocks , or what ever you want to call them,
where i live in the tropics ,, we have always known those plants take 6 months from seed to harvest ,
so planting them around the longest day , and harvesting them around the shortest day made the most sense to us ...
in answer to the question have i tried to cut back plants to see if they will reveg ,
yes many times , they do it as the days increase in length and its warm , with rain and storms , quite easily ,
but they dont tend to do it over the winter when the days are short ,
they are annuals ,, try as we may we cant make them perennials ,
we can take cuttings and reveg them though .... so no point trying to reveg plants off tired old root systems ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Quite off topic but I want to comment this looks to me like maybe 10 plants planted very close reaching for light in various directions. Its rather a kraken style of planting than a kraken style plant. You see on the very left a christmas tree plant... For sure it has flexible stems to some degree.
its just 1 plant ,
it wouldnt stand upright and was hard to maintain to be honest ,
i was lucky the whole under carriage didnt get moldy and rot ...

gorilla ganja

Costa Rica with 12 hours +-40 minutes has seasons already. Tropical plants planted during the flowering season stay dwarfs.
Fun fact: There is approximately an hour difference between the shortest and longest day in Costa Rica at approximately 10 N. Where I live at 55 N, there are about 9.5 hrs of difference in daylight length between the winter and summer solstices,

So you're saying "Sativa" plants will flower immediately when planted in the off-season? I would guess anything over 13 hrs of light would keep them in veg.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
What genetics did you use?
I would expect it threw roots where it touched the ground and that is how it got so big, what happened or how do you explain that size?
oh i see when i referred to a plant that i had live longer than a year , it wasnt that zamal ,
it was some local stuff we called mango , probably some thai stuff originally , and it lived for close to 18 months , i assume only due to the nurturing and extra root system , as the old root system died ...
really wish i had that one still , it was amazing , and they hybrids that i made from it were spectacular ...
apologies for the confusion there ...

funkyhorse

The faster method is to grow and select some native or longtimers strains of your areas. Countryside Paraguayan has nice oldschool sativa and better than all imports that need years of work, selection and acclimatization!!!
(And then with your local selection done you can play some exotic hybrids with all imports you like).
I cant agree more, the only problem is finding the old school paraguayan
Today there are 3 harvest a year on Paraguay, I am afraid it might have turned into another semiauto
Things have changed since DEA set up base in Paraguay and the comandos are in charge of the trade

It is very interesting the french colony weed from different regions but same lat is semiauto
The tropical semiautos are long flowering, 6 months or more from seed to harvest and they reach 3 meters tall

The northern lat semiauto is different. At my place they all stay small, they dont grow more than 1 mt to 1,5 mt tall. The thaiphoon you have posted looks small plant too

Wally, if you can sprout some Zamal seed end of september or beginning october and you will see the semiauto trait. It should start flowering 45 days after they sprout
I doubt about perennial weed too. The revegged plants I have surviving winter they lose the fan leaves fast. But the cuttings I take from this revegged plants dont have this problem and dont lose the leaves. I tried this on plants revegged on pots and on living earth. Results are same. Revegging twice the same plant I find it a very difficult task to accomplish. But if you are talking about talking cuts then yes you can keep long term

This is the semiauto of the season. I reckon all of the hybrids from scandinavia will have this behaviour here
G13 x HP x Citral
105 days from seed to harvest. I am chopping sisters next days
Not very productive, not very sticky, not very smelly. I hope I like it
G13 x HP x citral 1 (1).jpeg
G13 x HP x citral 1 (2).jpeg
G13 x HP x citral 1 (3).jpeg
G13 x HP x citral 1 (4).jpeg
G13 x HP x citral 1 (5).jpeg
G13 x HP x citral 1 (6).jpeg

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Wally, if you can sprout some Zamal seed end of september or beginning october and you will see the semiauto trait. It should start flowering 45 days after they sprout
I doubt about perennial weed too. The revegged plants I have surviving winter they lose the fan leaves fast. But the cuttings I take from this revegged plants dont have this problem and dont lose the leaves. I tried this on plants revegged on pots and on living earth. Results are same. Revegging twice the same plant I find it a very difficult task to accomplish. But if you are talking about talking cuts then yes you can keep long term
No ,
the hours are long enough and there is enough humidity, and storms to allow vegative growth ,
i dont adhere to or believe in semi auto as a trait ,
its simply plants reacting to the seasons presented ,
all things have a season , cannabis is the same ,
plant them out of season , or allow them to veg in long hours , restricted in pots , indoors etc ,
you would be seeing abnormal growth ,
i think this is just what is happening ....

im aware in the tropics , if u plant sativas during winter ,
sometimes they start flowering before the days get long enough ,
or rain , encourages them to reveg ,
this is quite normal , and not a new trait , or is it anything to do with auto flowering ....
this is all we are seeing , im positive of this as ive seen it for decades and never knew of auto flowering types ,
and just put it down to growing in the wrong time of year and the plants reacting to that ...

Rajas

Premium user
French Touch Seeds is not aware of any of their Zamal lines to be semi-autoflowering. The early flowering of funkyhorse's plants might just be the tropical light hours, so no proof for a northern light schedule unfortunately.

Mustafunks Zamal cutting is the only source so far. He is not very active online lately...

revegeta666

dubi said:
Thanks also @plant_omnivore for sharing your experience with this hybrid. Yep, the semi-autoflowering is a Zamal trait, although it doesn't show up consistenly in outcrosses. I read somewhere that Zamal not only contains South Indian genetics but also Moroccan and Lebanese, and the semi-autoflowering trait can come from these two.
dubi said:
The semi auto trait so common in Zamal and direct Zamal hybrids can be a positive or negative trait, depending on your goals. It's definitely an interesting trait if you are breeding for earlier/faster flowering onsets outdoors, although it can be troublesome to keep mothers having the semi auto trait properly in veg in the mother room. To avoid semi auto mothers accumulate flowers in veg, try to avoid the clones get rootbound.
dubi said:
Female #5 looks very PZ dom too. So glad to hear that her effects are so potent and special :) sounds promosing! Because of those effects I keep persuing on the Purple Zamal breeding, despite her semi auto tendencies and bananas indoors in some specimens of the offspring. And in a good, potent outcross (A5 Haze is a serious contender 💪 ) PZ enhanced effects can easily be found and they can be terrific!
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
I read somewhere that Zamal not only contains South Indian genetics but also Moroccan and Lebanese, and the semi-autoflowering trait can come from these two.

:oops::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:(n)

So no surprise to see the stupidity surrounding the community, it's quite laughable but above all it's very sad for the understanding of pure sat.

Last edited:

revegeta666

:oops::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:(n)

So no surprise to see the stupidity surrounding the community, it's quite laughable but above all it's very sad for the understanding of pure sat.
Maybe you can give us a reasoned argument in a language we can understand so we can learn something, instead of bleating like a drooling retard in every post? 🤣👎

Zeta Reticuli

From mine understanding there are some tropical strains that start to show preflowers very early
if they are keeped in small pots.

I dont wish to call this trait "semiautomatic" cause it dont have nothing with automatics genetics
or ruderalis plants.Its a term that is coined by some people to explain this trait,also from mine
understanding its not correct term.

Wish you best

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
From mine understanding there are some tropical strains that start to show preflowers very early
if they are keeped in small pots.

I dont wish to call this trait "semiautomatic" cause it dont have nothing with automatics genetics
or ruderalis plants.Its a term that is coined by some people to explain this trait,also from mine
understanding its not correct term.

Wish you best
my thoughts too ,, its as i mentioned ,
just some confusion the plant is having because of the conditions not being as they would normally be ,
everything has a season , cannabis does also , this is not a hard thing to get ones head around ...

semi auto is something someone has used to try to explain what their cannabis is doing ,
but it doesnt really make sense , or is it correct terminology ,,
but u know the stoner world like to use incorrect terms all the time ,
we know this , but doesnt mean we have to encourage it , or agree with it ...

goingrey

just some confusion the plant is having because of the conditions not being as they would normally be ,
everything has a season , cannabis does also , this is not a hard thing to get ones head around ...

semi auto is something someone has used to try to explain what their cannabis is doing ,
What's the correct term then? "Eager to flower", "difficult to keep around as a mom" ... I think semi-auto is a pretty good term, and has been used by the community for like 20 years. And it is the community that chooses to adopt terminology or not. Scientific papers and whatnot can propose them but if the community doesn't adopt it, it was just a nice try, not "correct terminology".

revegeta666

Ok but isn't that the case with so many terms in the cannabis industry? For instance everyone says "calyxes" instead of "bracts", "strains" instead of "cultivars", "pistils" instead of "stigmas".... "Indica" and "sativa" terminology is completely wrong, we all know it, yet everyone uses it to communicate. Literally 90% of the terms we use in forums is wrong. Because everyone in the community is so shockingly uneducated, starting with the "breeders".

The cannabis world is full of people who can barely read and write but try to larp as geneticists which is as hilarious as it is embarrassing. Like how every pollen chucker needs to have the words "genetics" next to their name... Give me a break lmfao. A geneticist reading what supposedly experienced people write in forums wouldn't know if he should have a stroke or shit himself, or both at the same time.

In my case I'm just a grower reporting the behaviour he saw on his plants. I have no need to be posing as if I was a scientist.

The plants I grew from a Zamal cross started flowering earlier than expected. If you can suggest the correct term for this behaviour I'll be happy to use it instead of "semi-auto". Of course the term "semi-auto" is retarded, this is the cannabis industry, you can't ask for much more lol.