What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Are Gavita ballasts that much better?

Snype

Veteran
Absolutely love my Gavitas. I would recommend them all day long

I would like to think I could pull 2.5+ per light with Chinese ballasts and hortilux bulbs but I doubt that's the case.

I don't know why you don't think you can pull 2.5 a light with a Hortilux and a Lumatek cause you can with the right strain and techniques. I got 74 oz (4.625 pounds) with 2,000 watts and I no way dialed the canopy at all. I know I could have got much more if I SCROGed it. The buds flopped all over each other and there were many gaps even when the buds didn't flop. I know it's not 2.5+ per light but maybe you have a better strain now and are more dialed in with that light. I wish you had a full grow on the subject since these lights are so good.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
We'll snype I'll admit it's possible that I could. I just don't know as these are the first 1000's I've ever used. Always grew with 400's and 600's before.

Snype

Veteran
We'll snype I'll admit it's possible that I could. I just don't know as these are the first 1000's I've ever used. Always grew with 400's and 600's before.

Yeah but your grow seems pretty maximized with the SCROG if I remember your pics correctly. Not saying your light isn't better though because I have no personal experience with them. I just don't understand why there aren't really any grow logs with them if they are so nice. I would think people would want to show those off.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Yeah but your grow seems pretty maximized with the SCROG if I remember your pics correctly. Not saying your light isn't better though because I have no personal experience with them. I just don't understand why there aren't really any grow logs with them if they are so nice. I would think people would want to show those off.

True, I have all environmental conditions met as far as I know. I have overlapping light sources and Orca covering the walls so yeah, I have rigged the game for sure.

I don't currently have a thread I just post around in a few threads.

The reason I don't have a thread with a title like "My grow with Gavita" is that unlike a certain nute company, there have been no offers of discounts or payoffs for doing such a thread.

If Gavita wants a thread done, fine, just pay me, that's all I ask.:biggrin:

Here is the latest one taken down. 44-46 zippers, will have a hard number in a day or two.

That fixture never went above 600 watts. Now the ones around it did so it's hard to discern hard data on what I'm yielding but come on, that's pretty incredible.

picture.php

Snype

Veteran
That would be incredible if that is the case. But that's the point. If you are getting 2.5 pounds with a 600 then why would you need a nute company to pay you to do a log. It's really showcasing your skills and makes us see your grow easier to judge. It's easy for anyone to say they got 2.5 pounds with a 600 without the full log.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there is a huge grow thread from one guy I just can't remember who it is...These are typically used in large grows 10+ units. I know 3 in Co. Just looking at the specs alone are impressive.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I don't have the resources to do any kind of testing like one would want. All I know is that they are good light. My plants like them, I like them, guests that come over don't complain about them.

Even my kitten seemed to be impressed tonight.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there is a huge grow thread from one guy I just can't remember who it is...These are typically used in large grows 10+ units. I know 3 in Co. Just looking at the specs alone are impressive.

To me that is what is important right now, the specs. The light fixture is just a support system for a point light source, ain't nothing more magical about it than that in all cases to me. The Phillips bulb and certain fixture design features (loss EMI, low heat, life span, yada yada) are my main attraction. I'm a complete noob with no grow experience whatsoever, I just post here and read some other boards to learn and do a decent job of executing a personal mmj room. So my thoughts here are just opinions and really should carry no weight. Peace. But since I'm a noob, and I have compulsive tendencies about learning (not a bad compulsion to have btw folks), I've been working hard to get up to speed in many areas, lighting chief among them. I've looked at HPS, HID, LED, LEP, Plasma, T5, CFL ... the mind boggles ... and i do not see anything bad about these Phillips bulbs and the flat light field. So as a noob and as a lover of all things new in technology (cause i like shiny objects) I'm going with the Phillips bulbs which are supported by two very decent vendors - Gavita and EPapillon. I've been impressed with both companies and in the right application (consider your grow room height, shelf height, plant height, what power setting, strain - stretchy plants with a low ceiling at 1150 is a bad idea....) I really do not think you can go wrong here.

ah ramblin man now...so I'll shut up. peace.

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Snype, I wanna start by saying I harbor no antimosity. But to weigh in, Third Coast has posted A LOT of pics showing just how amazing these gavitas are. While its true he does have his set-up pretty much dialed to the max, HE IS PULLING AROUND 2.5 PER LIGHT, WITH MOST OF THOSE ON 600 WATTS! WITH ANY AND ALL STRAINS! Hell, he pulled almost 3 the other day I believe.

Anyways, the point is, if I had slightly higher ceilings, id buy a gavita 600DE for sure. Id end up saving money in the long hall by using less energy. Im thinking they would pay themselves off pretty quickly.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I did see a demo at a show, and the Gavita visually did seem to be very brilliant indeed, but that doesn't speak to par, I believe the gavita to be a superior product meant for the elite farmer.

Peace

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gavita does not have a Pro 600 DE system at the moment. You would just turn down the ballast to 600 thats what Third does. Gavita does have the Digistar line of Ballast these are the same as other ballast they do not run DE bulbs. Looks like they have discontinued the Bulb that originally came with the unit and now have the Plus version. After 10k hrs the bulb is still 95% efficient. There is another bulb called Ushio Super HPS 1000W Double-Ended Bulb. I have never used this one dont know if anyone else has. I do have a spare Phillips DE bulb it does not say Plus on it. I have these bulbs

http://monstergardens.com/Gavita-MASTER-GreenPower-TD-EL-1000W-400V-Electronic-Bulb

This is the Plus specs for 600 and 1000w bulbs. Maybe a 600 is coming ??
http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.com/l/oem/hid-systems/high-pressure-sodium/horti/928196305116_eu//

BCNeil

Gavita does not have a Pro 600 DE system at the moment. You would just turn down the ballast to 600 thats what Third does. Gavita does have the Digistar line of Ballast these are the same as other ballast they do not run DE bulbs. Looks like they have discontinued the Bulb that originally came with the unit and now have the Plus version. After 10k hrs the bulb is still 95% efficient. There is another bulb called Ushio Super HPS 1000W Double-Ended Bulb. I have never used this one dont know if anyone else has. I do have a spare Phillips DE bulb it does not say Plus on it. I have these bulbs

http://monstergardens.com/Gavita-MASTER-GreenPower-TD-EL-1000W-400V-Electronic-Bulb

This is the Plus specs for 600 and 1000w bulbs. Maybe a 600 is coming ??
http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.com/l/oem/hid-systems/high-pressure-sodium/horti/928196305116_eu//

I was told by my local shop a 600 Double Ender is on the way. The sell the 1000DE for the best price in the city and sell a lot, so hopefully they know what they are talking about.

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
the gavita pro600 work with the philips 400volt bulb...the best 600 in the market...if u see a lumatek 600 near the gavita pro600 u think the lumatek it's a 400watt....ime

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have not seen any 600 pro gavita's on the shelf at my store. They do have some pro 1000. Anyone have a link to a 600 pro? If its a DE system they all use 400v bulbs. My E-PAP's have a spec of 100khz. I cant find this on the gavita's spec's.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I am sure you can find other ways to spend your cash, Gavitas are nice but it's like buying a vette, sure it's fast and great and expensive and well built and looks cool an makes you feel special.

you can't use the vette to it's full potential because you don't know how to race or whatever, everything is more expensive for it etc.

You could have just bought a turbo civic for less than 1 10th the price and still smoke it in the quarter mile.

What I am trying to say is that there are few people that would gain from a gavita unless they had there setup all dialed etc etc...

For the hobbyist or one bulb show save some money buy a good low frequency square wave ballast and be done with it.

Gavita is for the ultra elite.

Peace

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol thats a lame analogy.. I was using Vertical lighting for years and loved it. I tried 1 Gavita compared it to the Vertical. I doubled my yield those are hard facts. I would have never changed if this did not happen. I dont just say something is better unless it really is. I can tell by your post you have never used one. If you have you would not have posted that . Even a newbie will increase their yield from what they had before thats a fact from what every single person that has used one has reported. Theses are not a gimmick they are not for anyone special they are for all growers with any experience. If you prefer low tech just get a mag ballast there very reliable and will give you a ok yield..This is all im going to post on the subject. I never understood how people post on something they have never used lmao.. Good luck wit hwhat ever you use.

Dynamite

would love to see a thread , or even just a few pics of say 5 gavita's DE bulbs vs 5 digi1k's with horti's .. my next run in January will be 4k vs 4k , digi's w/horti's vs Gavita's with DE bulbs

a side by side is what needs to happen , I've had grows with UKcheese for instance , where off two 1k's in a 6k room I got just a hair over 5p's , and some very similar looking cheese plants with not as nice of a canopy get just under 2 per .. so to have them side by side just once would not even be the tell tell , I think 2 or 3 runs doing a comparison in a room is where it's at

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its been done. most of the data I have is not on this site. I post all my data on Canna Culture which is a invite only site. many of the larger growers use these in their warehouse over 10 units.I can't post links they won't show because the site is not open to the public..I only use 3. ooops I posted again my bad