What's new

Anyone recognize this. 35 days flower in soil. Fed maxibloom +5 ml cal/mag every watering. 6 plants only one is showing this. Ty in advance.

acespicoli

screenshot-www.icmag.com-2024.06.02-20_55_50.png

these spots look familiar ?

Last edited:

I Care

Had a plant do this to the extreme with too much calcium and nitrogen together in veg. Might see more green with a little less nitrogen or a little more P, K and cal mag whichever is easier to adjust. Lifeless is about where I’m at and I benefited from trying to bring my run off up to 1000ppm using 1200ppm+ water without trying to focus on one thing. I upped it all.

it could be just as simple as this plant became too dry one or two time?

I Care

On the humidity discussion. 60% is too high below 60F and could be too low above 82F. The real target, from my own learning in sunny Florida, is no more than 82F because, humidity and heat sort of conduct one another above 82F. Basically if my nugs never see above 82 or below 60 and I keep 50-60% RH with wind blowing; I would never have any issues related to temp and humidity.

acespicoli

On the humidity discussion. 60% is too high below 60F and could be too low above 82F. The real target, from my own learning in sunny Florida, is no more than 82F because, humidity and heat sort of conduct one another above 82F. Basically if my nugs never see above 82 or below 60 and I keep 50-60% RH with wind blowing; I would never have any issues related to temp and humidity.
screenshot-extension.usu.edu-2024.06.02-21_36_53.png

Dose cal mag maybe some epsom will say a prayer for the girls 🙏
Best Vibes :huggg:

acespicoli

Neither cal/mag nor epsom have manganese... they contain a different element called "magnesium." *facepalm*

Would that plant happen to be closest to the incoming air?
screenshot-www.google.com-2024.06.04-07_15_35.png

:love: :LOL:

J Gen Physiol

. 1967 Oct;50(9):2255-66.
doi: 10.1085/jgp.50.9.2255.

The discrimination between magnesium and manganese by serum proteins​

A C Foradori, A Bertinchamps, J M Gulibon, G C Cotzias

"Magnesium and manganese have proved physically and functionally interchangeable in many isolated biological systems investigated in vitro. "

screenshot-www.sciencedirect.com-2024.06.04-07_35_52.png

@ screenshot-www.icmag.com-2024.06.04-07_30_03.png
:huggg:
Im certainly here to learn as much as I can also, thank you for pointing out the differences

Very important to read the Hill Reaction Link
The association of phosphorylation and the reduction of an electron acceptor such as ferricyanide increase similarly with the addition of phosphate, magnesium (Mg), and ADP.

It has also been found that Mg and Mn antagonistically affect the Hill Reaction and synergistically promote the activities of aldolase and ATPase enzymes (Chatterjee et al., 1994, Agarwala et al., 1988).

Magnesium is one of the three “secondary” plant nutrients along with sulfur and calcium. It is taken up in moderately large qualities compared to only trace amounts of Mn

Many growers IMO use too little Sulfur as well but thats a whole other conversation
For oil seed crops...

We are talking hydro here? so the advice to flush well raise PPM and supply micros 🤷‍♂️
As stated above by @I Care would likely solve the issue in the following runs
Others are much better at hydro than me readily admit that. Best :huggg:

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
And yet there are differences in how the plant reacts when each is missing. You're not going to tell me an over application of Mg is going to be a better solution than supplying a micro amount of Mn when the plant is showing a Mn deficiency.

Fixing a nutrient issue with standard crops is much more fudge proof than premium cannabis production, at least as far as quality goes. (Yes, I've read many, MANY, thousands of research papers on countless subjects. I'm well familiar with studies and their limitations) With cannabis, less is more and that leaves out Mg as an Mn substitute for quality purposes.

Again... Is it the plant closest to incoming air flow?

Ca++

I think the pH is of primary concern. They don't look heavily fed, and in fact a little deficient, if we ignore the early browning of some hairs. This can lead to a rise in pH and the mn is more likely to be locked out by this, than other reasons for it showing.

Lets look at the pH, then think about Mg if the pH is fine. The constant application of calmag suggests RO, but I don't know. However there in N or Mg signs lower down, which need looking at properly as calmag provides both (unless low N calmag) and so we must start with pH, but have a few avenues still open to us after that

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Knock the cal mag off, knock your K down. More N and a touch of P should get them back on track. Try to grab a little bottle of super thrive too. That stuff lasts forever so do not get anything but the smallest bottle.

This is solid advice. Super thrive aside, follow what GMT said and get the pH correct as that is most likely the culprit.

Runoff will tell you nothing. Chasing ghosts. I don't know when the forum bro science crowd started crowing about that one but it is useless data. If the inputs are correct the outputs are moot.

As for Super Thrive if your plant hermied it is because you used way more than the one drop. It is highly concentrated and if used incorrectly, it can cause problems like any other bottled additive. In the end it is operator error as the product has been used successfully, when the directions have been followed, for some 80 years.

Ca++

Runoff will tell you nothing. Chasing ghosts. I don't know when the forum bro science crowd started crowing about that one but it is useless data. If the inputs are correct the outputs are moot.

It's not bro science. If you are not looking at your runoff, you are missing out. Myself and others have done entire crops, just looking at runoff to set our tanks. You are talking about pH abnormalities, and denying the most common way of testing for them.

PadawanWarrior

It's not bro science. If you are not looking at your runoff, you are missing out. Myself and others have done entire crops, just looking at runoff to set our tanks. You are talking about pH abnormalities, and denying the most common way of testing for them.
This is solid advice. Super thrive aside, follow what GMT said and get the pH correct as that is most likely the culprit.

As for Super Thrive if your plant hermied it is because you used way more than the one drop. It is highly concentrated and if used incorrectly, it can cause problems like any other bottled additive. In the end it is operator error as the product has been used successfully, when the directions have been followed, for some 80 years.
I agree with both you guys about runoff. It can be helpful but it can also be misleading. Take pH for example. If there's a buffer like oyster shell flour or lime the runoff can come out higher than the input pH. And the more acidic the water going in is the higher the runoff can come out sometimes. I discovered that when I first started. So if it reads high it might not be as high as you think. The acid helps make the calcium carbonate soluble and so more is in the runoff and the pH reads higher.

It doesn't work the other way around though. At least as far as I know. So if the pH reads low it most likely is low.

Ca++

Whatever comes out the bottom, has just been around your roots. It probably still is.

I know not everyone believes. That backward uk 420 site banned me for the suggestion it's useful. However universities have followed the lead, specifically for cannabis growing. Looking at pour though numbers, beside 1:2 slurry and paste methods more commonly used in lab settings. The pH doesn't care how you get the water from the pot. It does like you to use RO water though (or a substitute). You fertigate or water, whichever is normal. Let it sit half hour, for your reactions to take place. Then use RO to get runoff. The runoff is what you expected your plant to stand in, and the RO can't interfere with this pH reading. EC is different.

HomelyFans

I'd bump up the Ca.

Ca is not mobile. Why would symptoms in large leaves be related to calcium in any way.

View attachment 19012380
these spots look familiar ?

Reminds me of a tissue test.

View attachment 19012391
Dose cal mag maybe some epsom will say a prayer for the girls 🙏
Best Vibes :huggg:

Too bad they don't have a home tissue test for Mn. It might cost all of 40 dollars to identify those Mn oxide spots.

I Care

I agree with both you guys about runoff. It can be helpful but it can also be misleading. Take pH for example. If there's a buffer like oyster shell flour or lime the runoff can come out higher than the input pH. And the more acidic the water going in is the higher the runoff can come out sometimes. I discovered that when I first started. So if it reads high it might not be as high as you think. The acid helps make the calcium carbonate soluble and so more is in the runoff and the pH reads higher.

It doesn't work the other way around though. At least as far as I know. So if the pH reads low it most likely is low.

This is exactly why it came to me one day, recently, I’m going to just flood my pots over and over again with the same few gallons of water and correct the same water over and over until it’s the same in an out. It was one of those moments when I’m high and it makes sense and just started doing it.

It would be worth documenting this process. Water is the universal solvent.

Edit: Oh yea thanks for helping me grow the balls Ca

Latest posts

Latest posts