What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Any reason not to use Chicken Manure for your only fert in a grow?

PadawanWarrior

Thanks for the helpful info buddy. By top dress you mean simply sprinkle the pellets on top of the soil every now and then? I use FFOF too and im about to throw my girls into flower in a week or so. Sativas get really big even with two weeks veg
Yep. Just toss it on the soil and water it in. Technically you're supposed to mix it into the top layer a bit but I usually don't. I'm lazy so I usually just throw it on and let the water do the work. It will work a little faster if you mix it in though.

The thing with organics is it takes a bit for the microbes to break down the nutrients into a usable form for the plants. The general rule is to top dress 2 weeks before the plants need it. So staying ahead of the game is the thing with organics.

RobFromTX

Yep. Just toss it on the soil and water it in. Technically you're supposed to mix it into the top layer a bit but I usually don't. I'm lazy so I usually just throw it on and let the water do the work. It will work a little faster if you mix it in though.

The thing with organics is it takes a bit for the microbes to break down the nutrients into a usable form for the plants. The general rule is to top dress 2 weeks before the plants need it. So staying ahead of the game is the thing with organics.
I just ordered this stuff.I was gonna order the manure that led05 recommended but with shipping cost it was just too expensive for me. I'll keep everyone updated

1725564223320.jpeg

RobFromTX

Seems like there is always going to be something bad to deal with no matter what route you take. I don't even want to think about whats really in my FFOF soil

led05

Chasing The Present
So has the bagged stuff you see online been aged properly? And how do you apply it to the soil? Mix with water? Im trying to stop the bottle nutes
Fully composted & aged, works like TRF, a fully organic one from a quality farm I know in upstate NY

IMG_2136.jpeg

I grow many thousands of lbs of food every year, too many types of vegetables & fruits + herbs to list & my previous pics of cannabis drive the points home….

Composted Chicken Manure is legit & priced extremely fairly; 40# for under 20 bucks, whom can beat that?

Ultimately you need to understand soil physical properties, CEC, wet/dry cycles of watering then get a good TRF with the key macro & micros, In the rare case you have any issues hit with a slurry or quick foliar w chelates…

I choose to be a fully organic grower; composted chicken poo is the best primary fertilizer I’ve found, I’ve tried nearly them all…

Peace & GL y’all

led05

Chasing The Present
Seems like there is always going to be something bad to deal with no matter what route you take. I don't even want to think about whats really in my FFOF soil
Good thinking & decision, not to worry that is- that said the ffof, classic woo woo juice :)

Arsenic lol - Some people Do, others ponder perfection indefinitely never achieving a thing always looking in their closets for the boggieman, paranoia can be a bitch always worrying, that worry is what kills in the end - lol… stop peeking out the curtains, Damn sativas lol

led05

Chasing The Present

Or just mix a shit load in to begin with & let the plant pick at it as it chooses… :)

led05

Chasing The Present
I just ordered this stuff.I was gonna order the manure that led05 recommended but with shipping cost it was just too expensive for me. I'll keep everyone updated

View attachment 19060650

This is the 50# but 40 sack version they used to sell (one ton); I checked earlier I have 9 - 50# bags still left, drop shipping a pallet was very reasonable, single heavy bag shipping not so much :)

I like this product as I know the exact chicken farm they source their poo from; but I expect they are all very similar products in the end..

I’m a cheapskate, when I can get quality TRF organic for under .50 cents a lb, well I splurged… this was also the very start of covid in early 2020 & I knew SC were gonna get constrained so why not…

Probably be ordering another pallet here end of next year I recon

IMG_0379.jpeg

RobFromTX

This is the 50# but 40 sack version they used to sell (one ton); I checked earlier I have 9 - 50# bags still left, drop shipping a pallet was very reasonable, single heavy bag shipping not so much :)

I like this product as I know the exact chicken farm they source their poo from; but I expect they are all very similar products in the end..

I’m a cheapskate, when I can get quality TRF organic for under .50 cents a lb, well I splurged… this was also the very start of covid in early 2020 & I knew SC were gonna get constrained so why not…

View attachment 19060797
Thats a lot of shit :smoke:

PadawanWarrior

View attachment 19060797
Damn that's a big pile of crap. :ROFLMAO:

PadawanWarrior

Or just mix a shit load in to begin with & let the plant pick at it as it chooses… :)
I think I'd have toxicity issues if I used too much in my pots. And I usually try to lower the amount of nitrogen towards the end if I can help it. By the way what does TRF mean?

led05

Chasing The Present
I think I'd have toxicity issues if I used too much in my pots. And I usually try to lower the amount of nitrogen towards the end if I can help it. By the way what does TRF mean?
Time Released Fertilizer; it won’t burn your plants especially if it’s mixed in well & you use a little common sense - I.e exceed usage amounts by 2 or 3x is fine, 10x not so much :)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What about the arsenic content from what the chickens are treated with?

Peace
Arsenic, cadmium and lead are the most common contaminates in USA based chicken manure.

Cannabis is AWESOME at absorbing and retaining excessive amounts of cadmium, even from 'cadmium safe' soils.

Cannabis is no slouch at absorbing and retaining lead, but only slightly inclined toward arsenic.

Unless it's a clean feed source for the chickens, I recommend against it for cannabis and primo health.

Last edited:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
free range birds are best source……and for rabbit ….in 70’s would go after school with AG teach to organic rabbit farm outside Watsonville and load up his Jeep truck till bed hit axel…..on drive home pick up sixer of Sammy Darks torch fatty of Jamaican and prime for the unload…..yea ‘ol teach tended the finest up in Felton….
ganj on…..

Latest posts

Latest posts