What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

An experiment to help determine the effect of different latitude on maturation time using a select cultivar

gorilla ganja

Here are a couple of pics from another friend growing Miss K at 55 North on the cloudy coast of Alaska. It looks like it is slightly later to start flowering there.

Miss k Sept 13 Jraven.jpg
Miss k Sept 13 Jraven...jpg

Captain Red Eye

the plant just flips a switch at a set photo period regardless of latitude.

This made me wonder when the photo source is the sun, can the variability of light duration and intensity etc. hitting the plant be a factor in onset of flowering for a particular clone from year to year grown in the exact same location? For instance, some years there are far more rainy and cloudy days than other years.

A variation of that situation; maybe your zone is really sunny and that same plant grown about the same latitude, but different longitude has a wet dark summer...which flowers first?

Also, sort of within topic, do the nutrients or root zone (pinched in a small container vs in ground, lots of root space ) have anything to do with timing of flowering?

Thanks for starting this thread, good exchange of info. and opinons.

Old Piney

This made me wonder when the photo source is the sun, can the variability of light duration and intensity etc. hitting the plant be a factor in onset of flowering
Yes I too thought of other factors .I was confident that the plant would sense the more rapidly decreasing daylight at higher latitude and respond with more daylight

Prs2xs

I live @ 50N, and my observations are that if you plant in the ground at the end of May with 1 ft seedlings, you will not see flowering start until early August. That doesn't leave enough time for the plant to finish flowering, because first frost is USUALLY around mid to late Sept.
I just took down 4 plants that were outside a couple weeks ago, and got 3.5 lb of bud that still had white pistils. The long veg time produced 14 ft monsters that were a real chore to trim. Unless I can find a potent semi auto for outdoors, I think I will stick with indoor, and leave the outdoor for people that live in a more temperate zone!

Old Piney

I live @ 50N, and my observations are that if you plant in the ground at the end of May with 1 ft seedlings, you will not see flowering start until early August. That doesn't leave enough time for the plant to finish flowering, because first frost is USUALLY around mid to late Sept.
I just took down 4 plants that were outside a couple weeks ago, and got 3.5 lb of bud that still had white pistils. The long veg time produced 14 ft monsters that were a real chore to trim. Unless I can find a potent semi auto for outdoors, I think I will stick with indoor, and leave the outdoor for people that live in a more temperate zone!
Photo period at 50N with frost by late September that is a tough nut to crack

Elrond

Hi, I am at 52N and planted early May. Plants are now almost finished, so I‘d say it’s a success. Though over here frost usually does not come before November, that gives me some extra headspace.

gorilla ganja

frost usually does not come before November
If you can go until the end of October with decent temps, I think most "Indicas" will finish and even some fast "Sativas." At 52N, I'm guessing you are close to a large body of water that allows you to go that late. I'm at 55N, and most years, I'm lucky to get to the end of September here.

Old Piney

Hi, I am at 52N and planted early May. Plants are now almost finished, so I‘d say it’s a success. Though over here frost usually does not come before November, that gives me some extra headspace.
Wow no frost till November at 52N that's gotta be strong maritime effect. I'm at 40 N and only once and a while can go into November without a frost. In my experience cannabis can handle light frost in flower no problem.

Prs2xs

What part of the country, and what strain? I am in Sask and we had rain come when my flowers were susceptible to mold, so I took them down. As fate would have it, we then have had a fantastic fall, and I could have left them out until last week!

Elrond

What part of the country, and what strain? I am in Sask and we had rain come when my flowers were susceptible to mold, so I took them down. As fate would have it, we then have had a fantastic fall, and I could have left them out until last week!

I am in central Europe, eastern Part. Last night the temperature came down to 2 degree C, but for the next two weeks the forecast ist warmer, minimum 4. The strain is Nepal Jam from Ace, the trichomes are now 30% clear and 70% milky, still only very few amber ones, on many flowers none. So I am guessing it’s another one or two weeks.

Prs2xs

I am in central Europe, eastern Part. Last night the temperature came down to 2 degree C, but for the next two weeks the forecast ist warmer, minimum 4. The strain is Nepal Jam from Ace, the trichomes are now 30% clear and 70% milky, still only very few amber ones, on many flowers none. So I am guessing it’s another one or two weeks.
Thanks for the reply! You are , I think, in a more temperate region than I am, and New Jam is a fast finisher - good choice! I am currently looking at the start of a long cold winter!

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great idea and I'm watching for sure.
It's been said before, to really be able to conclude anything you should have used clones but I'm interested to see the outcome anyways.
I'd also be really interested in the potentially different genetical expressions on both plants. I've noticed that my plants from clone are different when flowered under 11/13 compared to 12/12 as in different traits are expressed.
All the best
CC

Prs2xs

Great idea and I'm watching for sure.
It's been said before, to really be able to conclude anything you should have used clones but I'm interested to see the outcome anyways.
I'd also be really interested in the potentially different genetical expressions on both plants. I've noticed that my plants from clone are different when flowered under 11/13 compared to 12/12 as in different traits are expressed.
All the best
CC
Could you expand on what the differences are?? I usually just use 12-12, but the JLB seems to need 11-13 to initiate flowering. I am curious how they would turn out with 12-12 - probably just stretch out of control?

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi, well the plant will develop slightly differently and show slightly different traits... Smell and taste are the most obvious ones but also effect. The plant will finish sooner, then there's overall size of the plant. Most Sativas can only be managed in my small tent when I run them 11/13

Old Piney

It's been said before, to really be able to conclude anything you should have used clones
Well I suppose in a perfect world that's true but but that would require mailing clones internationally in our case .IMO all that matters is that all the phenos have a consistent maturation, I believe the photoperiod plants of Miss K are very stable in that regard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts