What's new

Adjustable Spectrum Fixtures

HarleyJammer

Veteran
You don't have to spend a lot of money to grow weed with LEDS anymore. Check our vendors sub-forums for some prices on 1000w LEDs. You would be surprised.

I do have a Mars Hydro FC 3000 for the veg. I would like a fixture in the 1k range that I can tweak the spectrum for the flower tent. I am not too savvy about the various manufacturers and their products.

.. and I seem to gravitate to that old adage : Buy Once Cry Once.

Ca++

Do you have the option to veg with about 600 of a colour you like. Then add 400w of warmer light?
Presuming that is what you want. Perhaps you want IR and UV to play with.
A 1000w watt light, will be rated with everything switched on. Anything not in use, might be a waste of time having. Just power you are not using. I have not seen a light divert it's power between different banks of LED. Though one may exist, I think it's mostly all about cool whites and warm whites, with their own drivers. Maybe a separate 660, and the IR and UV tend to be grouped. Maybe with a driver, maybe just with the 660s.
To build with separate control of UV, IR, 660, Warm and cool, you need 5 drivers onboard. I have not seen this outside of crazy money experimental lighting. Where more people would just buy separate lights/bars instead.

CharlesU Farley

I do have a Mars Hydro FC 3000 for the veg. I would like a fixture in the 1k range that I can tweak the spectrum for the flower tent. I am not too savvy about the various manufacturers and their products.

.. and I seem to gravitate to that old adage : Buy Once Cry Once.
About 10 or 12 years ago, I had a hard on for adjustable spectrum lights. Pretty sure luma grow was the first manufacturer to market these adjustable spectrum lights. Bought two of these for $750 a piece:

PXL_20240122_192443103.jpg

Concentrated on a blue dominant during veg and red dominant during flowering. After a couple of grows, came to the harsh conclusion that it really didn't make _any_ difference adjusting the frequencies. The plants that did consistently the best were on 100% of all colors, 100% of the time. :eek:

However, it was a hell of a replacement for this 1980s monstrosity that I used for 20 plus years 😯 :

1000014002.jpg

Bottom line for ya HJ, and obviously this only my opinion, but I would concentrate on getting the best possible light for your square footage and wouldn't worry about it being adjustable for spectrum.

Here's my lighting history, so you'll know I'm not talking out my ass ;):

driver77

Take a look at the new Mars hydro "adlites"...you could pair an fc8000 with the addition uv, ir, and far red bars which allows you to time each bar separately independent of main light. Total wattage would be over 940w.
Would be around $1000 all in, or less with a sale.
Or something like this light

Last edited:

HarleyJammer

Veteran
What parts of the spectrum would you like to adjust? Its fairly easy to build. But anything like that is going to cost you even if you diy

I'm imagining giving the girls increased blue at the beginning of veg, full spectrum later veg into 80% flowering then a blast of red and UVB towards the end of bud cycle. Waste of time and money? I dunno.

When I was younger I enjoyed building little projects.. now, tiny parts and me dont jive :)

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Take a look at the new Mars hydro "adlites"...you could pair an fc8000 with the addition uv, ir, and far red bars which allows you to time each bar separately independent of main light. Total wattage would be over 940w.
Would be around $1000 all in, or less with a sale.
Or something like this light

Thanks for your suggestion. All options open at this juncture :)

driver77

Thanks for your suggestion. All options open at this juncture :)
I added the old style uva/ir bars to my MH fc8000's and run them 2hrs on 1 hr off with main light schedule. I noticed better terps, potency and bud density. Played around with all kinds of different schedules with them but they are limited by design, both uv and ir are wired to the same ballast which makes it difficult to time them separately.
uva will do what you want without the damage uvb inflicts....."Emerson effect" is an interesting rabbit hole to run down. :smoker:

Skunkyj88

I got some snips im rooting for ya if you have a ig account u can message me on my ig handle is skunktowncollective or maybe u can message me on here im not sure but i want you to have the cut i almost lost her and if it wasn’t for daz she would be gone! So im trying to get her in some hands i can trust and also i heard about your health issues and im no dr but i think the rks could really help you with stress it does me anyways but anyways if your interested just message me and lmk and we will figure out how to get u the cut!

Latest posts

Latest posts