What's new

90s (Super) Skunk

BerryManilow

here is some really cool info on afgT maple leaf
View attachment 19023682
View attachment 19023683
View attachment 19023684 View attachment 19023685

View attachment 19023686

heres the cool part- i found the female maple leaf records from the hillig study nev mentions here. karl hillig did a study in early 90s which stands to this day most comprhensive landrace reference. all together 157 different landraces meticulously source verified. nev donated both the maple leaf and the mazar he got when smuggled into pakistan.
the study scored stem rub - maple leaf was the only line to earn the "acrid" score. the rest options were vegetative, spicy, sweet citrus, and camphor.(the mazar and a pakistan line were the only to earn camphor)
so this lends some major credence to nevs assertion that maple leaf held skunk traits not found elsewhere

View attachment 19023688

View attachment 19023689
View attachment 19023690
View attachment 19023693 View attachment 19023694 View attachment 19023695 View attachment 19023696
I didn't realize that stem rubs were scored or even considered to be a viable method of judging the smell of a plant, especially that far back.

I've been rubbing both sides of the leaves to get the smell. I just did a stem rub of the Super Skunk, I'm sitting next to it and typing this. It smells like skunk spray with a burnt onion and catpiss smell. It's pretty powerful and burns my nose. Very similar to the leaf rubs.

The "roadkill" skunk I have is way stronger smelling and much more like actual road kill skunk than the SS. It's overpowering and burns my whole nasal cavity. Very deep, heavy, skunk smell. Between both of these 2 skunks, my money is on this plant being the real skunk. The SS is skunk spray but it's not heavy RKS smelling.

iStruggle

Mass Super skunk is not from 1986. It came after 1991, after Chemdog popped chem91. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was in 1996. The VA super skunk made its round in that little circle and after that was lost, people bought Sensi’s super skunk to try to find it again but to no avail. The VA super skunk was not a pure Super Skunk. I think the whole “86 super skunk” term came from Adam Dunn. Mass Super Skunk name came from Chemdog and he wasn’t on the scene until 1991

Is the ‘VA’ skunk attached to the state of VA in any way, or is it just the dudes handle? Ive wondered this

Digger102

Veteran
Here's the primary source straight from nev.

View attachment 19023665
Sensi bought/absorbed nevils castle and entire stock in 89 when nev needed the $ to make bail in aus and escape back to Holland.

But after the sale he was still responsible for all sensi breeding until at least 94 when he and Ben fell out nev took copies of all clones and left.

So sensis super skunk is just a further fgen/bx of the original AfghanT x skunk18.5 f1 superskunk

it's unknown when the actual AfghanT female was lost but since nev/shanti Mr nice used T to make the f1 afghan haze it must have survived until at least 98.

Sensi pedigree listing is just a more vague description of nevs original. Nev insisted on notating 1 to 1 matings so he could easily trace back the parents who best combined or passed desirable traits to progeny.
Is this AfghanT in the ASH (Afghan Skunk x Afghan Haze) line Mr. Nice has?

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Here's the primary source straight from nev.

View attachment 19023665
Sensi bought/absorbed nevils castle and entire stock in 89 when nev needed the $ to make bail in aus and escape back to Holland.

But after the sale he was still responsible for all sensi breeding until at least 94 when he and Ben fell out nev took copies of all clones and left.

So sensis super skunk is just a further fgen/bx of the original AfghanT x skunk18.5 f1 superskunk

it's unknown when the actual AfghanT female was lost but since nev/shanti Mr nice used T to make the f1 afghan haze it must have survived until at least 98.

Sensi pedigree listing is just a more vague description of nevs original. Nev insisted on notating 1 to 1 matings so he could easily trace back the parents who best combined or passed desirable traits to progeny.
Nevile didnt have all copy's he only left with Silver haze cutting called super silver haze and his NL5xhaze cutting called Nevilles Haze.

Jcue81

here is some really cool info on afgT maple leaf
View attachment 19023682
View attachment 19023683
View attachment 19023684 View attachment 19023685

View attachment 19023686

heres the cool part- i found the female maple leaf records from the hillig study nev mentions here. karl hillig did a study in early 90s which stands to this day most comprhensive landrace reference. all together 157 different landraces meticulously source verified. nev donated both the maple leaf and the mazar he got when smuggled into pakistan.
the study scored stem rub - maple leaf was the only line to earn the "acrid" score. the rest options were vegetative, spicy, sweet citrus, and camphor.(the mazar and a pakistan line were the only to earn camphor)
so this lends some major credence to nevs assertion that maple leaf held skunk traits not found elsewhere

View attachment 19023688

View attachment 19023689
View attachment 19023690
View attachment 19023693 View attachment 19023694 View attachment 19023695 View attachment 19023696
Nice find! That’s very cool info.

Keep those photos and descriptions coming @BerryManilow

BerryManilow

The leaves of both these plants are starting to look pretty similar. Would be cool if they're related. I have no clue of the lineage on the "Roadkill" Skunk, would need a DNA/genotype test to find out. All I know is that it's a 40 yr old clone line from the late 70s-early 80s. It came from someone in VA, which has a deep history in the skunk story.

Super Skunk
20240621_114456.jpg

"Roadkill" Skunk
20240621_002334.jpg

Piff_cat

I read those posts from Nevil and believe that the skunk characteristics are more from Afghan than Sk1. Also the reason why nobody's found it in Sk1 while hunting for it.

Thanks for sharing that part about Sensi's SS being further progeny of Nevil's SS. That was the confusing part of this to me, but it's due to Sensi's vague description.
happy to help the afghanT has always been mysterious. we only know about her because nev came on forums around 2010 and explained all the pedigrees from the orignal seed bank plus when it became sensi.

this also when he explained the haze males original haze hunt etc. these breeding plants were known in amsterdam coffee shops/ south holland but most others didnt before nev came online.

silver haze is another example of a carried over seedbank strain which sensi vagued the pedigree. silver pearl x haze C was the original seedbank f1
but now listed as haze x "non dominant nl parent".

notice the haze parent doesnt say A or C and the nl parent isnt numbered as a particular plant.

since nev left behind all the real 1 to 1 pedigrees its easy to study his work and look fr patterns'. be interesting to cross afghan haze into super skunk and look for double recessive afghanT throwback. not sure if any pics exist. of aghanT
1719536327028.png

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The leaves of both these plants are starting to look pretty similar. Would be cool if they're related. I have no clue of the lineage on the "Roadkill" Skunk, would need a DNA/genotype test to find out. All I know is that it's a 40 yr old clone line from the late 70s-early 80s. It came from someone in VA, which has a deep history in the skunk story.

Super Skunk
View attachment 19023919

"Roadkill" Skunk View attachment 19023920
I visited the doctor this morning...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IMG_20240628_142851.jpg

BerryManilow

These "Roadkill" clones are rooting like crazy and looking like the fastest out of all my strains. Blue Bands is on the far right and that's usually the first one to show roots. That vigor shows why this clone was able to be kept around for so long.

I have some backups of all the skunks now and the Super Skunk & "Roadkill" Skunk are flowering.
EZ.jpg

Skunk rooting.jpg

numberguy

The pictures, AF10 and AF10-1 look very much like skunk with the medium leaf width and long leaf stems. If they had been allowed to mature more before flowering the bud structure might have more closely resembled skunk too. No afgans I have grown look like that, but I have not grown a lot of them.

Piff_cat

I didn't realize that stem rubs were scored or even considered to be a viable method of judging the smell of a plant, especially that far back.

I've been rubbing both sides of the leaves to get the smell. I just did a stem rub of the Super Skunk, I'm sitting next to it and typing this. It smells like skunk spray with a burnt onion and catpiss smell. It's pretty powerful and burns my nose. Very similar to the leaf rubs.

The "roadkill" skunk I have is way stronger smelling and much more like actual road kill skunk than the SS. It's overpowering and burns my whole nasal cavity. Very deep, heavy, skunk smell. Between both of these 2 skunks, my money is on this plant being the real skunk. The SS is skunk spray but it's not heavy RKS smelling.
A note on the stem runs of interest afghan mix was the only one receiving the acrid score. Other scores were vegetative(most common) spicy(Africans), sweet pine lemon(Korean/south China/Japan) camphor (nevils mazar)and tea tree(Thai)
It speaks volumes that the maple leaf was only acrid score and Nevil also noticing the much stronger skunk profile. Plus the diversity in the 5 samples one of them has the ladder branching like a 5haze. Most of the landraces only had 1 or 2 phenotypes but maple leafs .

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here are the mazar pics from same study. this is the line from the catalogue where nev was smuggled over border into pakistan to obtain mazar hashplant seeds. one of them looks crazy View attachment 19024967 View attachment 19024968 View attachment 19024969
notice the red stem/camphor rub
View attachment 19024971
A friend gifted me a couple of Ultra Skunk cuts many years sgo.I grew them out and they looked very similar to the pictures you posted ^^
Didn't like It much tbh...small rounded hard buds that smelled kinda dogshit imo...made me remember Cheech & Chong...labrador shit...I had to laugh!
Didn't Nevil say that afghan S was the mother of Ultra Skunk? :)