What's new

90s (Super) Skunk

BerryManilow

Damn. This ECSD looks VERY similar to this Super Skunk. Those 2 reverse leaflets and the leaves in general seem to match up pretty closely. This could date this Super Skunk back to '86, or earlier.

ECSD = Chemdog '91 x MSS x (NL/DNL)

"Famously known as the parent (along with Chem ’91) of the original Sour Diesel strain, Mass was a rare and outstanding phenotype discovered in an ’86 seed pack from the Super Sativa Seed Company’s (now Sensi Seeds) Super Skunk by a grower named Weasel. Unrelated to the more common Dutch Super Skunk, Massachusetts Super Skunk is a highly energetic strain that serves as a perfectly functional daytime high. Although it is not commonly found, Mass is widely held as one of the premier skunk strains, and highly regarded among cannabis enthusiasts.

The smell: Massachusetts Super Skunk smells sweet and sour, dank and skunky. Some phenotypes of this skunk are of the road-kill variety, but the one I sampled for this review has a lingering, sweet fruitiness."

Massachusetts Super Skunk

SSSC, now Sensi Seeds, carried on the work and genetics of Sacred Seeds, which was Sam the Skunkman and crew with the Skunk genetics from the early 70s.

Attachments

• 20240610_223658.jpg
    20240610_223658.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240610_223804.jpg
    20240610_223804.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240610_223756.jpg
    20240610_223756.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Munson

Veteran
Damn. This ECSD looks VERY similar to this Super Skunk. Those 2 reverse leaflets and the leaves in general seem to match up pretty closely. This could date this Super Skunk back to '86, or earlier.

ECSD = Chemdog '91 x MSS x (NL/DNL)

"Famously known as the parent (along with Chem ’91) of the original Sour Diesel strain, Mass was a rare and outstanding phenotype discovered in an ’86 seed pack from the Super Sativa Seed Company’s (now Sensi Seeds) Super Skunk by a grower named Weasel. Unrelated to the more common Dutch Super Skunk, Massachusetts Super Skunk is a highly energetic strain that serves as a perfectly functional daytime high. Although it is not commonly found, Mass is widely held as one of the premier skunk strains, and highly regarded among cannabis enthusiasts.

The smell: Massachusetts Super Skunk smells sweet and sour, dank and skunky. Some phenotypes of this skunk are of the road-kill variety, but the one I sampled for this review has a lingering, sweet fruitiness."

Massachusetts Super Skunk

SSSC, now Sensi Seeds, carried on the work and genetics of Sacred Seeds, which was Sam the Skunkman and crew with the Skunk genetics from the early 70s.
Ummm what? SSSC did not become Sensi. The Seed Bank(Nevil) was sold to the Dronkers then became Sensi, I wanna say 90 or 91. Super Skunk is Nevils creation and was first released I wanna say in 89. There was no such thing as super skunk in 1986. Weasel has nothing to do with “Mass” super skunk. Mass super skunk is from Chemdog(the person). Then there’s VA super skunk via SkunkVA, which is deceased. The VA is prob closer related to Sour then the Mass

BerryManilow

Ummm what? SSSC did not become Sensi. The Seed Bank(Nevil) was sold to the Dronkers then became Sensi, I wanna say 90 or 91. Super Skunk is Nevils creation and was first released I wanna say in 89. There was no such thing as super skunk in 1986. Weasel has nothing to do with “Mass” super skunk. Mass super skunk is from Chemdog(the person). Then there’s VA super skunk via SkunkVA, which is deceased. The VA is prob closer related to Sour then the Mass

Appreciate your insight. I didn't write that article. I posted a link but it's not working on that post anymore.

Sensi Seeds was founded in 1985 and they released Super Skunk in it's final form in 1990.

"Experimental Afghan-Skunk hybrids are featured in the very first Seed Bank catalogues and the breeding project aimed at finding the perfect Afghani genotype to match Skunk #1 goes back further still."

Nevil created Super Skunk but Sensi carried it on.

"Neville is no longer on the scene, and SSSC was taken over by Ben Dronkers, and Sensi Seeds was formed, using Neville's genetics."

I don't know where this Super Skunk came from but it looks like the photos of the Mass Super Skunk.

iStruggle

I emailed a dutch seedbank a couple months ago and asked them for their skunkiest smelling strain and they responded wht would you want that,in Holland none of our skunks smell like a skunk. They couldn't believe someone would want weed that smells offensive like a skunk

From what i have read it was intentionally bred out because it was impossible to conceal. That makes perfect sense so im going with that.

Ive mentioned on here that i firmly believe that i was gifted a few grams of RKS in 2018. While i admit that ive never had 100% verified RKS, it matched perfectly from what old growers description of it.

Anyways. I was delivering milk at the time, and this shit was by far the stinkiest bud i have ever come across. And i was a teenager in the hills of va during the 90’s, stinky skunk is all we had. But this was on a whole different level. The smell permeated EVERYTHING. As i walked from one area to another the entire smell of the room changed. It stunk so bad that i put it in the back of the milk truck so people wouldnt smell it while i was running my route. I dont know if any of you have been in the back of a reefer truck hauling milk, but the smell of old curdled milk is the only thing youre able to smell because of the cool temps. Needless to say that the few buds that dude gave me stunk up the whole back of the truck. You couldnt even smell the milk anymore. Was nuts.

Digger102

Veteran
See what I mean

BerryManilow

Came across this thread and it says that the Mass Super Skunk came from an '86 pack of Sensi Seeds collection.

SSSC released a skunk x afghani in 85/86. It wasn't called Super Skunk in their catalog but that's the lines they were working, which got passed off to Sensi around the same time frame.

004.jpg

Looking at these old photos, the plants and leaves look similar to the Super Skunk that I have. The MSS is the closest looking squat SS plant with very narrow leaves out of any Super Skunk. These photos from that post aren't the best but that's a very similar structure. That's why I think this SS I have is either the MSS or a sister pheno.

188New-Room-029-thumb.jpg

188New-Room-028-thumb.jpg

BerryManilow

They're different lines, but the MSS came from Sensi in '86. Wouldn't that be before Nevil's Super Skunk with Sensi? He sold the Seed Bank to them in '91 and worked as the breeder for Sensi then. He prob had his line before that but did the MSS line come from him at that point, or from SSSC?

Also, Nevil got the Maple Leaf/Afghan T & S from Jim Ortega, who was part of Sacred Seeds. So it's probably related.

Last edited:

goingrey

They're different lines, but the MSS came from Sensi in '86. Wouldn't that be before Nevil's Super Skunk with Sensi? He sold the Seed Bank to them in '91 and worked as the breeder for Sensi then. He prob had his line before that but did the MSS line come from him at that point, or from SSSC?

Also, Nevil got the Maple Leaf/Afghan T & S from Jim Ortega, who was part of Sacred Seeds. So it's probably related.
What do you mean came from Sensi? Wasn't the Sensi Seed Club a shop at that time, that sold seeds from The Seed Bank (hence Dronkers became to understand the demand for these genetics, biggest sellers). Possibly sold seeds from Super Sativa Seed Club as well.

Seed Bank 1986:
sb1986.png

Super Sativa Seed Club 1986:
sssc86.png

HomelyFans

"The leaves smell like catpiss/ammonia"

OP doesn't know what Skunk is if he thinks Catpiss and ammonia smell anything similar. If your plant smells like windex, that's butanol and you've succeeded in exposing yourself as another skunk fraud and clown grower. If your plant smells like ammonia it's in the depths of an anaerobic compost heap with low carbon because there is no other reason ammonia smell would come from a living plant. If it smells like Catpiss those are catty thiols, that smell like Catpiss, nothing like ammonia.

From what i have read it was intentionally bred out because it was impossible to conceal. That makes perfect sense so im going with that.

Ive mentioned on here that i firmly believe that i was gifted a few grams of RKS in 2018. While i admit that ive never had 100% verified RKS, it matched perfectly from what old growers description of it.

Anyways. I was delivering milk at the time, and this shit was by far the stinkiest bud i have ever come across. And i was a teenager in the hills of va during the 90’s, stinky skunk is all we had. But this was on a whole different level. The smell permeated EVERYTHING. As i walked from one area to another the entire smell of the room changed. It stunk so bad that i put it in the back of the milk truck so people wouldnt smell it while i was running my route. I dont know if any of you have been in the back of a reefer truck hauling milk, but the smell of old curdled milk is the only thing youre able to smell because of the cool temps. Needless to say that the few buds that dude gave me stunk up the whole back of the truck. You couldnt even smell the milk anymore. Was nuts.

Real Roadkill leaves a 1/4 mile trail behind a 1/4 oz sack driving down the road with the windows up. Not related to Skunk at all. One smells like a dead body. The other smells like a skunk.

When I say "real" Roadkill I mean the real grower. Strain names don't make the smoke. Sorry kids. Not many are qualified to grow medicinal grade Marijuana after years of bad info from spooks. Only in the NPC mersh placebo clown world do words mean jack shit.

Marijuana was bred to jack shit because Marijuana was a pharmacologically active plant that cured numerous ailments. The pharma goons have been eradicating Medical Marijuana and spreading bad grow information for a while.

The people who spew the "bred out for smell/flavor" nonsense need to realize they've been lied to by California scumbag pharma spooks.

BerryManilow

What do you mean came from Sensi? Wasn't the Sensi Seed Club a shop at that time, that sold seeds from The Seed Bank (hence Dronkers became to understand the demand for these genetics, biggest sellers). Possibly sold seeds from Super Sativa Seed Club as well.

Seed Bank 1986:
View attachment 19021687

Super Sativa Seed Club 1986:
View attachment 19021688

Right on thanks for posting that. So in '86 both the Seed Bank & SSSC had the Sk1 x Afghani 1 cross. Neither mention of Super Skunk at that point. Sensi didn't open a shop until 90 or 91 but they were a Seed Bank in 86. I wouldn't doubt that they all shared/sold their genetics together.

The MSS was popped from an '86 pack of Sensi Seeds, so it "came from Sensi."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts