What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

3D Printing: Download this bong

BudToaster

Veteran
they're already printing human organs, so i guess the technology is there to make muscle tissue.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Human organs? You sure...? I read recently they were replacing 75% of a mans skull with a 3D printed polymer piece.

Yeah just googled it. WOW!!!

Dont know if i would want to eat it!?

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2013/04/3d-printed-tissue.html

3D printers are now playing Frankenstein: a specially designed system has built up an artificial membrane that mimics living tissue.

Developed by Hagan Bayley from the University of Oxford and colleagues, droplets of water wrapped in oil are ejected in layers to form a rubbery material. The tiny beads behave like cells: they can communicate with each other through membrane proteins, transmitting electric signals across the material. This video shows how osmosis can drive a flower pattern to spontaneously fold up into a different shape, mimicking muscle movement. The hollow sphere it produces would be difficult to print directly.

The artificial tissue could be used in living organisms, as an alternative to stem cell approaches. It has potential for targeted drug delivery, and a more sophisticated system could be incorporated in the body to assist failing tissue.