What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Rust Spots - Fungus?

Trich_Tyson

Got some rust going on on a few of my plants... all BOG.. the rust is mostly on 2 or 3 Lifesavers on the left side of the closet.. the Lifesavers on the right are unaffected, and the Sour Bubble's seem unaffected.

Running Hempy.. dynagro every feeding (most feedings also get silica).. pH starts around 7.5 - 8 from tap.. sky rockets with silica.. and is brought down to mid 5 - 6... cheapo pen usually tells me 6 or so, while drops are pee yellow to orangish yellow.

Other than spots leaves look fine.. no significant clawing or other deficiencies. Top to bottom, leaves are perky green.. After I post the leaves I'll go back and take a few full plant shots.

Due to plants looking fine, and affected plants being localized.. I would think the issue is rust fungus say it aint so.. or is it.

If so what do I do?

I don't think this makes a damn bit of difference, but I'll probably hit them with a little H2O2 before re-closeting.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Trich_Tyson

All of the above are Lifesaver..

This is the one SB... looks like a different issue here.. maybe

picture.php

here the edges are brown, where L.S. is all over.

G

ganjygav

I've had rust fungus before,it don't look like what you have. Rust fungus normally has like a dust on top of the Brown patches. Like Dusty rust if that makes sense. That looks like the start of a calmag issue. Maybe more of a calcium deficiency or the start of. I just binned my last 2 plants because they got so bad with it.

G

ganjygav

First picture is what calcium deficiency looks like when it's getting bad and bottom pic is from one of the plants I threw out. I had mad calmag problems caused by a ph lockout, I had never phd because I was in soil and thought I was safe. I've just brought a ph pen and my water left out for 48hrs is ph 7.8-8.0.

Trich_Tyson

The rust shows no dust. I hope your right gav. It may well be a cal mag thing.. I don't use calmag supps, and I believe dynagro foliage pro to be a little low.. 2(Ca):.5(Mg).. I don't supplement because my tap comes out at over 300 ppm.. granted I have no idea what makes up that 300... I have been feeding 2.5 - 3ml per gal FP, and 2.5 ml/g protekt.. (ppm about 650) which is inline with their feeding regimen.. I feed every watering.. every 2 - 3 days. with a lil run off...

If your right about the calmag.. Ill hit them with maxibloom which is higher in cal mag.. and almost double TDS.. its almost time to flip anyway.. soon as the bigger fan shows up.

the other factor I forgot to mention was that temps in the closet for the past week have been low.. a below 70.. even lights on. Heat was down in the complex and outside temps got into 30s.. I reverted to 24 hour light, and now temps are back to normal..
Humidity then and now averages 60.

Trich_Tyson

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60816&pictureid=1485630&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60816&pictureid=1497525&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

First picture is what calcium deficiency looks like when it's getting bad and bottom pic is from one of the plants I threw out. I had mad calmag problems caused by a ph lockout, I had never phd because I was in soil and thought I was safe. I've just brought a ph pen and my water left out for 48hrs is ph 7.8-8.0.

Yeah i come from Og soil territory. first time with chem/dro... pH meant nothing before.

My issues look like they are approaching pic one, and a long way from pic 2 (I hope) I do hear sour bubble is a heavy calcium feeder, and though they look fine.. maybe LS is as well.

If it is calmag.. it should be easily correctable from here on..

Im gunna start mixing up some maxibloom.. lord know that shit takes all day to dissolve. and feed em tonight.

Anybody else have an opinion?

thanks again gav.

:tiphat:

G

ganjygav

I could be wrong but I'm only going by what I've experienced. I've had calmag problems going a few grows now. What is in your pics is 100% identical to how my leaves start. Yeah should be a simple fix as your getting at it early. I tried adding calmag supplements and calcium boosters like baked and crushed egg shell. I gave them Epsom but it all just made it worse. Like I said mine was a ph lockout and It didn't matter what I threw at the plants because they couldn't take it up. Lesson learned,Im ph adjusting everything with this grow.

Trich_Tyson

Fingers crossed my man

When I had issues in soil i could never get them corrected.

So far with the chems + medium I have had a few issues, but all were quickly and easily corrected..

I miss playing with dirt though

Trich_Tyson

A few full lifesaver plant shots.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last one.. this LS has no brown spots but DOES have less than perfect leaves.

picture.php

That's all for now.. I'll sit back and do a little more research..

peace.

G

ganjygav

If I don't bring this under control this time I'm thinking of moving onto hand watering coco. I've moved over to using biobizz everything this grow. I was convinced for a while I had some nasty fungal infection going on ,when peoples kept telling me I needed to ph my water and feeds I didn't agree.... In fact I was a bit of d-bag about it lol. I hope you get to grips with it and if it is a calcium problem get it straight before you put into flower because it really kicks in while plants are stretching.

Trich_Tyson

Haha.. yeah. I don't have experience with coco.. but if its as simple as these buckets, it should be a win. I was water only with soil and there were just too many variables for me to pinpoint the culprit when i had issues.

Solid advice on tackling the def. before flower.. seems that deficiencies turn into real problems after the flip.

Ratzilla

Veteran
That very first picture with the rust spots looks like a Ca. deficiency, especially if it's up top on the plant.
The other pic that had the edges browning looks like a potassium thing to me.
The last set the Life Saviors.
They look over watered to me that is unless you just watered them before the picture.
Sorry I cant be of more help.
Ratz :tiphat:

Trich_Tyson

I'm starting the think ca for the lifesavers. As for the potassium. It's literally one little leaf. And I feed every watering. I'll see if it progresses. I feel like it's hard to overwater with hempy. And I haven't watered in 2 days. But I agree it looks like it.

Thanks for chimin in Ratz!

I agree with Ratzilla. Looks like I'd just add some calmag, and if that doesn't work or the plants start to yellow, you're just feeding too low. Up the nutes slightly.

Trich_Tyson

I agree with Ratzilla. Looks like I'd just add some calmag, and if that doesn't work or the plants start to yellow, you're just feeding too low. Up the nutes slightly.

That last sentence is the winner. My tap is real hard. But when using dynagro I've only been around 650 ppms. Minus the 350 from tap = ain't shit. Gunna move up to 5 ml/g and see where I land

Once again. Thanks err'body! :tiphat:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
90% of Bogs strains are Calmag hogs , your pics are Calcium defs . add some calmag at 2 or 3 ml per gallon & it should clear up in no time . :tiphat:

Trich_Tyson

Thanks dan.. I've upped my nute level.. by a lot.. which has kept it at bay-ish. I'm gunna grab some cal mag on my weekend - wed/thurs - so i can get to flipping. The LS seem to be hoggin it more than the SB.. but the SB are starting to show it now. I just thought with such hard tap that I'd be iight. I know how it goes tho.. fuck knows what makes up the 350 ppm in the tap and if it's even stuff the plant can uptake. Them BOGs are still growing fast as hell..

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
most hard tap water has alot of sodium (salts) in it & thats why its so high . just make sure you get plenty of runoff when feeding to flush the salts out , then get rid of the runoff right away ! i use a buckethead shop vac to suck out the runoff about a half hour after they get fed so its not sitting in that shit .
that might help as well as the addition of the CalMag .

SocalNugz

Cant say enough for a regular weekly flush with ro help avoid these issues as well. I flush with ro dosed with magnum an ph'd . It does wonders.

Trich_Tyson

most hard tap water has alot of sodium (salts) in it & thats why its so high . just make sure you get plenty of runoff when feeding to flush the salts out , then get rid of the runoff right away ! i use a buckethead shop vac to suck out the runoff about a half hour after they get fed so its not sitting in that shit .
that might help as well as the addition of the CalMag .

Sodium.. very interesting.. I have tried to find water analysis for my town on the web. Very little info specific to my exact location. I know my pots and electric kettle get what looks like lime buildup. but could be salt.. comes off with scrubbing and or vinegar.

I did buy a bucket head at the beginning of the grow to clear runoff.. which I do get plenty of. I'm not neurotic about it though as the hempy buckets have holes 2 inches up.. roots don't touch the runoff or anything.

Honestly though.. I have never once flushed.. feed every watering. Gunna go grab that calmag today and will do a heavy flush with just calmag.. gotta take some cuts anyway so I can flip. These ladies are really getting too tall.