What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Black Kow Vs MG Organic & FoxFarm

keico

Hey just thought I would throw this question out there

I am gonna be using Blazeoneups soil recipe for my next grow.

2 cubic- feet Miracle Grow Organic Choice (green bag)

3.8-4.0 cubic feet- Promix/Sunshine Mix #4 (If not, it can be substituted with Peat Moss)

1 Cup Miracle Grow Blood Meal

1 Cup Miracle Grow Bone Meal

1/2 cup dolomite lime (1 cup if you're using peat moss)

30% perlite (chunky perlite is preferable)

Although he has said that you can substitute FF for the MG (Preferable because he found maggots in the soil)

Can Black Kow be used instead of the MG organic soil

f9098f53-2fcb-41f8-9901-9602344aa7b6_400.jpg

instead of this

pACE3-3819575dt.jpg

or

product_OCEAN-FOREST.jpg

maryjohn

Veteran
they aren't interchangeable as far as i know. Composted manure is just that - cow shit only. Not saying you shouldn't use it, but it isn't a substitute for MGO or FF potting soil, so you should get a good recipe that uses manure, or figure out how to adjust this one. I don't use manure myself, but I would read up a bit before I started. I'm assuming a bag of cow shit is way hotter than a bag of MG.

is this outdoor or indoor? Outdoor, I go with whatever is lightest to carry to my spot.

A few thoughts from a guy who has used that specific mix a few times…..
First, I have read blaze himself say that the MGOC soil should be around 40% of the soil mix, so you really want 4 cf of MGOC to 4 cf of Promix. Then add the amendments and then the perlite at around 20% of the total volume. I usually use 2 cf promix and 2 cf of MGOC and 1cf of perlite with 1.5 cups of bone and blood meal a piece. Also add ¾ cup dolomite lime. I use the extra bone and blood meal because I veg a little longer. As far as maggots in MGOC I have not found any, but plenty of fungus gnats. I will switch to FFOF next run. This mix is as good as advertised. It will give you killer results with quality genetics. I like peakseeds northern berry very much. No pics laying around from the last batch though, sorry. Maybe the next one here in a few months…. As for the kow shit….not at all what you want. Most likely will be way to hot and also doesn’t contain the variety of trace ingredients the other two choices offer. The FFOF is clearly the better choice IMHO.
Flaming Heat

keico

I thank everyone for their responses, but I think that my question wasn't asked right.

In using Blazeoneups recipe, could I use Black Kow instead of MG Organic Choice.

Blazeoneup said himself that he substitued Foxfarm for The MG

I

Iron_Lion

MG organic choice = gnats

dont waste your time or money on that junk.

keico

MG organic choice = gnats

dont waste your time or money on that junk.

Exactly I use MG soil now and some problems with gnats but they were easy to get rid of.

I know Black Kow doesn't compare to what Foxfarm has in it, but my question is since I will be mixing black kow with other ingredients according to bazeoneup recipe, Can it be used as a subsitute.

I

Iron_Lion

Exactly I use MG soil now and some problems with gnats but they were easy to get rid of.

I know Black Kow doesn't compare to what Foxfarm has in it, but my question is since I will be mixing black kow with other ingredients according to bazeoneup recipe, Can it be used as a subsitute.

MG organic and cow sh!t have very different structures. MG organic is light and wood chippy and cow plop is thick and makes a dense mud when wet. you cant get ahld of promix bx or something else that has a half way decent reputation? My thing is cow plop seems ok if u were growing outside, but i'd be scared to bring bugs into the grow room by using anything i couldnt count on to be clean. Maybe you could cut the cow plop with some coco brick or peat moss and perlite and it would be ok. One thing I know about cannabis is the lighter the soil structure the better the root system.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've used it for years. Mixed with peat, perlite, vermiculite, lime, bone and blood meals. I've never had problems except with pests and thats not every batch. It does run short on K though.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You forgot there is Kelp Meal in blazeoneup's mix.

Maxicrop powder may be substituted I believe use as directed.

I use the exact recipe except the kelp me as its not available anywhere I can find so I use liquid kelp meal instead. I would 100% not screw around with the mix :noway: Do not use the bag of cow shit you want to use...

You really need to stick to exactly what people say with certain teks or you simply invite disaster. The smallest things can really screw you up. Trust me I have done enough!

Use the MG its stocked everywhere....even my Wal Mart has it. If you get gnats use goGnats. I got gnats once from it and this applied in two waterings completely annihilated them.

Do not use mosquito dunks! They contain tons of salts ask Rez what happens! Another one of those crazy lessons learned...

Latest posts

Latest posts