What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

High Grade Vintage Cannabis photography

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The Adams lab isolated CBD and CBN in crystalline form, made pure d8, other cannabinoids, distilled from ditchweed extract and also made somewhat pure d9, and knew THC was THC. He did not know which isomer the THCs were, where the double bond was located. That is all. Everyone's guesses were wrong.

Gaoni and Mechoulam had GC, NMR, police providing hash. Where they excelled was NMR interpretation - a new thing - matching data to physical chemistry theory. This plus chromatography allowed them to say when products were pure and what the structure is.

I read that Adams got red oil from the Treasury department, where he isolated several compounds like CBD.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Red oil is overheated distillate. Illinois and Cal Tech got undecarboxylated ethanol extract of 1938 Minnesota ditchweed testing positive with Bill Beam's test for hash, but known to be ditchweed in every way. Shipments to researchers were personally approved by Anslinger.

Those who made the extract had Beam tested 3000 hemp plants grown by the USDA in 1937 - perhaps from Dewey's work with Chinese genes, but they don't say. The plants were tested many times and 1/3 did not react.

(Beam at Khartoum in 1911 said that African material could be easily oxidized with alkali but Indian extract could not, and decided it was a great test anyways.)

It may have come as a surprise to them that there was any active agent in the MN ditchweed, or that the Beam-reactive part could be crystallized out of distillate as a bis-dinitrobenzoyl derivative in 33% yield, which after snipping that off was crystalline and could be converted to THC by sort of applying the acid Beam test to it.

therevverend

Veteran
Reefermadness in the west started with Marco Polo at the latest. It was already a thing for Arabs. Many people can't say a thing about pot without sensationalizing it. That's just how it is. The drug war in the US exists because of the drugs and was in gear by the 1860's because drugs were - prohibition started before 1910. Peyote and alcohol fared no better than pot, morphine, and cocaine, the prohibition just didn't all happen in exactly the same year.

No no Reefer Madness wasn't Marco Polo or the Arabs or the Drug War, it was a movie. It was released in 1936 within a year of the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 which effectively ended scientific research in the United States. The 'Reefer Madness Period' is a reference to this time in American history not the various earlier prohibition campaigns.

Although 'reefer madness' has entered the English vernacular as a reference to any government campaign during a 'moral panic' against an exaggerated threat to distract the public from a more serious threat. For instance in the 1980s there was a 'reefer madness' type campaign against the perceived Satanic influence of Dungeons and Dragons which distracted religious Americans from the much more lethal arms race of the cold war between the USSR and the USA. Or who could forget the anti-cannabis hysteria whipped up by the new Mamluk dynasty in Egypt that culminated in the destruction of the Gardens of Cafour in 1253. To distract the populace from their overthrow of their former masters the Abbasids and from the imminent invasion by the Mongol Empire.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Early control measures were often implemented as means of social control of groups operating on the fringes of society. Some authorities in the Arab world, for instance, regarded hashish use to be a loathsome habit, associated with the Sufis, an economically and socially disadvantaged
sector of Muslim society. Following Napoleon’s invasion of Egypt in 1798, the Emperor prohibited his soldiers to
smoke or drink the extracts of the plant in 1800 out of fear that cannabis would provoke a loss of fighting spirit. A three-month prison term was imposed, implementing per-
haps the first “penal law” on cannabis.8
In Egypt and a few other Mediterranean countries such as Turkey and Greece, cannabis prevalence was high and
attracted strong legal responses. Hashish was banned in Egypt through a series of decrees. The cultivation, use, and importation of cannabis were first forbidden in Egypt
in 1868, when the sultan of Turkey still ruled over Egypt.
Nevertheless, a tax on cannabis imports was imposed in 1874, despite its possession having been made illegal. In 1877, the sultan ordered a nationwide campaign to con-
fiscate and destroy cannabis, followed by another law making cultivation and importation illegal in 1879. In
1884, cultivation of cannabis became a criminal offence.
However, customs officers were allowed to sell the hashish abroad, instead of destroying the confiscated amounts,
to pay informers and customs officers responsible for the seizures.9
These early attempts to outlaw cannabis, reissued in 1891 and 1894, had very little effect on the widespread recreational and medicinal use among Egypt’s urban and
rural poor, the fellahin.
10 Hashish was cheap and easily
grown or smuggled in from Greece or elsewhere. Exemptions for non-Egyptians and enforcement issues made the
laws largely ineffectual.11 Cultivation,importation, and use
of cannabis was banned in Greece in 1890. Hashish was considered an “imminent threat to society,” particularly among the urban poor and rebellious youth known as
manges who gathered in the tekedes, cafes frequented by hashish smokers in the harbour area of Piraeus and the centre of Athens. Nonetheless, hashish continued to be
widely used, and Greece remained a significant exporter of hashish to Turkey and Egypt well into the 1920s.12

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.tni.org/files/download/rise_and_decline_ch1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjdzZHXnNLuAhWJyaQKHSvVC1IQFjAFegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw26FAwGUEBXy1xyJqRx7Pvx

Beam's test is an easy test to detect CBD.No color than you have THC only.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Frank Meyer germplasm collector USDA between Cannabis plants from Yarkand 1912 in Nevada

picture.php

Rembetis

Quote cultivation,importation, and use
of cannabis was banned in Greece in 1890. Hashish was considered an “imminent threat to society,” particularly among the urban poor and rebellious youth known as
manges who gathered in the tekedes, cafes frequented by hashish smokers in the harbour area of Piraeus and the centre of Athens. Nonetheless, hashish continued to be
widely used, and Greece remained a significant exporter of hashish to Turkey and Egypt well into the 1920s. Quote

That was my people. The manges were also known as Rembetes and their music was known as Rembetika. They were a Greek counter culture from the 30's till after the war. Life revolved around playing or listening to music and Hash smoking. Their music is mainly about those activities and the colorful characters encountered in the Hash dens and also prison. Because those guys were musicians the Greek Govt. outlawed the Bouzouki in an attempt to stamp out the Hashish culture. The joke was on them because much like the Blues in America the old music became the basis of modern Greek music and the Bouzouki has become a national treasure. The old Rmbetiko songs have been constantly re cycled into modern versions with the old language intact. During the dictatorship references to Hash, whores, prison, mistresses, knife fights etc had to be cleaned up.

I am old enough to remember some of those guys and the old Manges I knew made me the guy I am so I am proud to carry on their old traditions by playing the old songs and smoking as mush Hash as I can

Rembetis

The Mastouras

When I am getting high and drugged
I melt from dizziness,
I forget all my sufferings
And all of my worries.

Nature endowed me
with afflictions and sufferings,
All pass and disappear
Only with hashish.

With this I become calm and spend time
to gladden my body,
from the high mood
I have in my head.

I was born a mangas
And a mangas I will die,
let the hashish plants grow
on the top of my grave.

by Markos Vamvakaris 1934

G.O. Joe

Veteran
https://www.google.com...

A bigger picture perhaps in Cannabis Prohibition in Egypt. Not a book yet I don't think. DOI would be 10.1080/00263206.2011.553890 at wherever you might use doi's. Sci-hub is a .st domain now. The books I mentioned earlier are all pdf's at places like b-ok (now .cc).

mexcurandero420

Veteran
They had no idea why different sources and treatments were different, and any guesses they had were wrong. The CBD content would have varied and you see the clear glass containers in the picture. Whatever they were selling was probably more sensitive to light than they thought, especially in solution. The hash already had to travel from India. If they knew light and distillation were bad and took great care with the best hash, then most of the THC would be inactive THCA, for a little while.

Investigation of a 43 year old fluid extract, which was done in 1972.

We now report the preliminary results of studies on a
43-year-old sample of Cannabis fluidextract. We found that this preparation, in spite of the long shelf storage, still contained enough biological activity to conform with the requirements of USP X (I). Furthermore, TLC and GLC showed the presence of cannabidiol,
?'1-tetrahydrocannabinol, and cannabinol in significant
amounts.