What's new

Tricks for spotting males when small??

I really don't understand why peeps are so eager to determine the sex so so early that you need a damn microscope to do it. i have never had a problem by waiting a little longer and not playing the guessing game. a couple reasons why: when i used to sex them early like that i ran into the problem of determining the plant was a male based on the first couple of micro pre flowers only to have them start kicking out female ones a week or two later and i mean they turned stable female with no more male parts ever to show up again. I am certain i threw away some real good keepers from expensive and rare seed packs before i discovered this phenomenon. this is not set in stone but i have seen it happen on a fairly decent number of seedlings, fyi some of DJ Shorts lines carry this trait quite heavily. The other reason i like to wait to sex until it's obvious is you won't be mistaken. you actually have plenty of time to remove the males before they start kicking out pollen and cause problems, we have all heard that patience is a virtue and so true with sexing plants so put the jewelers loop down smoke a joint and spend that time you find yourself drooling on your plants cleaning your grow room instead..

buttyrekka

i agree with everyone else..
just wait learn the plant,watch both.
if your garden gets pollinated it'll be a herm 9 times outa 10,before a male.
so just watch......if your male shows sex at 3 weeks,your females may well have 2/3 seeds in every flower?not a disaster!
and you learn ,not only to spot a male,maybe even to spot a good male!....
learn the plant!it has 2 sex's...

BadRabbit

You don't need to root it. Just take a snip and put it in a cup of water in the flower room. It'll show its sex in about a week.

thank you ... that's what I was looking for. I knew there must be more to it ... I still will wait for the seedling to show sex before taking cuts, but that makes a hell of alot more sense.

Latest posts

Latest posts