What's new

Old school STRAINS/SEEDS from 2007-2012

sbeanonnamellow

Welcome back. What a blast from the past those are some cool old school genetics. It's neat seeing others seed purchase and genetic preferences. I especially enjoy seeing that MOD pack and the Blue Satellite 2.2's. I wonder which BX the Sour Bubble is? Vintage THUNK and Mazar freebies too! Your breeding goals sound wonderful. Hope you're having a pleasant day. Much love

OldSkewlGrower

The white fire and the gth #1 are pure awesomeness. White fire is still one of the best strains I've grown. I have 4 or 5 beans left. I also just finished up popping the rest of my gth1 from the same time frame.
Very cool to talk to someone that also has those! Do you still have the WiFi going? I only bought this 1 pack, popped 2 seeds, then 3 weeks in, I had to close shop and cut them down. I still remember that day and how it felt inside. I have 3 left. I plan on hitting them all with silver nitrate, then open pollinating them all. I will make as many seeds of this generation as possible when I get this going someday.

Please keep me updated on the GTH! Is this the first time you're growing them? May you be blessed with many girls!

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Wow! She looks incredible! I remember this girl well. I popped 3 or 4 seeds and got 2 females, similar phenos, that both went about 22 weeks and still wasn't done flowering. It was good enough though. How did these ladies turn out for you? How long did you take them? Thank you for this wonderful visual treat!
I think that picture was right around 15 weeks. It only went 2 more weeks. It was good smoke, just not a top 10 kind of herb.

The pack of Bubblegum you have by B.O.G. may be just what the label says. This guy I use to smoke with would bring some Bubblegum to share. It wasn't a one hitter quitter, but, it would give you the whities on the very first hit. Very potent weed. I'm almost positive that is what you have. The time frame(2008-2009) we were partaking in the Bubblegum would be about when you would have got those. Keep clones.

OldSkewlGrower

Welcome back. What a blast from the past those are some cool old school genetics. It's neat seeing others seed purchase and genetic preferences. I especially enjoy seeing that MOD pack and the Blue Satellite 2.2's. I wonder which BX the Sour Bubble is? Vintage THUNK and Mazar freebies too! Your breeding goals sound wonderful. Hope you're having a pleasant day. Much love
It feels quite nice to be back, thank you! I'm very happy to share the nostalgia with anyone familiar with these. This pack of Sour Bubble was the BX3. Have you ever grown them? I'm also super stoked about the Kali-Most, as the original Serious Kali Mist is my favorite sativa of all time. Any experience with this one? I have no idea what the MOD Bx is like, but I'm hoping for some nice Kali dominant phenos. Regardless, I will open pollinate and make a ton of F2's, hunt for Kali phenos, then try to stabilize it over a couple generations.

Can't wait to try the THUNK as well. Pondering the possible phenos excites me! Do you have any experience with this strain? Wishing you a wonderful evening! Namaste!

OldSkewlGrower

I think that picture was right around 15 weeks. It only went 2 more weeks. It was good smoke, just not a top 10 kind of herb.

The pack of Bubblegum you have by B.O.G. may be just what the label says. This guy I use to smoke with would bring some Bubblegum to share. It wasn't a one hitter quitter, but, it would give you the whities on the very first hit. Very potent weed. I'm almost positive that is what you have. The time frame(2008-2009) we were partaking in the Bubblegum would be about when you would have got those. Keep clones.

Nice! She's a beauty. The Chronic watered the strain down a bit imo. Muted some of the more special effects typical of good Hazes.

The Sour Bubble's exact lineage, although we have some idea what it is, remains a mystery. The reason for this is that BOG initially released the strain with the description you see on the pack. And this is also what he espoused on his posts here(circa 2007-2009) during the time he was working on Sour Bubble BX2/BX3: That Sour Bubble was a "special" phenotype of his Bubblegum line. I believe he said he used the same cut to make the BogBubble, and maybe one other strain. Anyways, while most of us went along with what he claimed, some started to question its veracity. A few users made detailed posts comparing Sour Bubble to a version of Bubba Kush that was also very popular at the time. I can't remember the name of that cut, but I don't think it was the Pre-98.

The comparisons of both plants were made side by side during the veg and flowering stage, and also post harvest. The similarities were both remarkable and undeniable. More posts with photos went up and more people started to agree that the two strains were inextricably connected. When the chatter started to pick up, I remember BOG jumped into the conversation to try to set the record straight. He denied accusations that he used Bubba Kush to create Sour Bubble. He countered the claims with detailed backstories about how we got the Bubble Gum plant that was the supposed parent of Sour Bubble. Community opinion was split and the controversy started to grow.

What came after threw the community for another loop. Someone posted a section from an article from either a printed publication, or the transcript from an interview that was published on a well known cannabis website. I can't remember exactly which one it was. However, in it, BOG himself was directly quoted as claiming to be the "first one in the cannabis community ever, to use the Bubba Kush in one of his strains". It seemed at the time he had accidentally let a nugget of truth slip out. That set off a firestorm on this forum, as the members who were initially suspicious now felt vindicated and free to claim their victory. But from my recollection, BOG still did not fully admit to the community here, what he said in the interview. When pressed by members, he responded with ambiguous, dodgy answers and the mystery of whether Bubba Kush was in fact used to make Sour Bubble, was left with no clear answer.

My personal opinion, being familiar with all 3 strains, is that he in fact did use Bubba Kush to make Sour Bubble, and not Bubblegum, as he claims.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
All the Rare Dankness seeds are worth popping as soon as possible and I see a few other gems like the Blue Sat by Spice of Life. I hope you get a lot of those old seeds to germ, a lot of them deserve to be grown.

*GROWHIGH*

Veteran
ohh those blue sats are a nice throw back ...........i loved that strain ...a lovely side of the blue'line ..anyone who likes blueberry will love those (y)

Old Piney

Even stored in the fridge properly that's pretty old you might have to help them along a little.there are several threads on that subject here I had seeds frozen from 1991 to 2014 and it was a touchy gemination. Storage is also another topic as well. I still got some frozen like S#1 from 86 grown a few generations outside. Nice collection best of luck !

Redrum92

Nice! She's a beauty. The Chronic watered the strain down a bit imo. Muted some of the more special effects typical of good Hazes.

The Sour Bubble's exact lineage, although we have some idea what it is, remains a mystery. The reason for this is that BOG initially released the strain with the description you see on the pack. And this is also what he espoused on his posts here(circa 2007-2009) during the time he was working on Sour Bubble BX2/BX3: That Sour Bubble was a "special" phenotype of his Bubblegum line. I believe he said he used the same cut to make the BogBubble, and maybe one other strain. Anyways, while most of us went along with what he claimed, some started to question its veracity. A few users made detailed posts comparing Sour Bubble to a version of Bubba Kush that was also very popular at the time. I can't remember the name of that cut, but I don't think it was the Pre-98.

The comparisons of both plants were made side by side during the veg and flowering stage, and also post harvest. The similarities were both remarkable and undeniable. More posts with photos went up and more people started to agree that the two strains were inextricably connected. When the chatter started to pick up, I remember BOG jumped into the conversation to try to set the record straight. He denied accusations that he used Bubba Kush to create Sour Bubble. He countered the claims with detailed backstories about how we got the Bubble Gum plant that was the supposed parent of Sour Bubble. Community opinion was split and the controversy started to grow.

What came after threw the community for another loop. Someone posted a section from an article from either a printed publication, or the transcript from an interview that was published on a well known cannabis website. I can't remember exactly which one it was. However, in it, BOG himself was directly quoted as claiming to be the "first one in the cannabis community ever, to use the Bubba Kush in one of his strains". It seemed at the time he had accidentally let a nugget of truth slip out. That set off a firestorm on this forum, as the members who were initially suspicious now felt vindicated and free to claim their victory. But from my recollection, BOG still did not fully admit to the community here, what he said in the interview. When pressed by members, he responded with ambiguous, dodgy answers and the mystery of whether Bubba Kush was in fact used to make Sour Bubble, was left with no clear answer.

My personal opinion, being familiar with all 3 strains, is that he in fact did use Bubba Kush to make Sour Bubble, and not Bubblegum, as he claims.

Come join the SB thread if you haven't already. Making an unlikely resurgence after so many years. Couple people there share your beliefs about the Bubba background

Looking forward to what comes out of the old school stash

OldSkewlGrower

All the Rare Dankness seeds are worth popping as soon as possible and I see a few other gems like the Blue Sat by Spice of Life. I hope you get a lot of those old seeds to germ, a lot of them deserve to be grown.
Agree. And appreciate the well wishes! I've been waiting a long time to get back into growing but it may be a while yet before I can put them into a proper setup. Meanwhile the seeds continue aging. Seriously mulling a tiny setup in my current place solely for the purpose of seed production and doing one strain at a time. Open pollination of all seeds that germ. The only possible future regret is that first run producing some really standout individuals which I might not be able to keep around. However, preservation of the strain is the main priority.

Have you grown or tried the Blue Sat 2.2? I'm going to make a ton of F2s.

OldSkewlGrower

ohh those blue sats are a nice throw back ...........i loved that strain ...a lovely side of the blue'line ..anyone who likes blueberry will love those (y)
Great to meet another Blueberry lover! Thanks for chiming in. Have you ever tried a Blueberry individual with that sort of tart, pink lemonade note under the sweet fruity blueberry nose? Had some that was grown in Norcal around 2003 that I will never forget. Stunner buds and the high felt like being smashed by the Hulk. It was incredible. Anything like that in this line from your experience?

OldSkewlGrower

Even stored in the fridge properly that's pretty old you might have to help them along a little.there are several threads on that subject here I had seeds frozen from 1991 to 2014 and it was a touchy gemination. Storage is also another topic as well. I still got some frozen like S#1 from 86 grown a few generations outside. Nice collection best of luck !
The well wishes are much obliged! You have Skunk #1 from the 80s? Wow. I definitely peed my pants a little just now. When you say "grown a few generations outside", do you mean you grew the few generations back in the 80's, then froze the seeds from those plants in '86? How were they? Pray tell.

Sadly, yes, these babies are getting up there in age. I'm hoping for the best though since they were specifically stored in the fridge. I do not freeze seeds. There are a couple reasons for this.

Freezing any living tissue runs the risk of cellular damage, through the restructuring of water molecules inside. Water forms a lattice when frozen, and this matrix forcibly demands more volume. The embryo inside the husk is alive and though much lower in moisture content than vegetative plant material, it still contains water. This water, exposed long enough to freezing temperatures, runs the risk of starting to restructure, ripping apart the cells, and destroying the embryo in the process. This is what happens when a person gets frostbite.

Also, the pocket of water inside the seed could start to also restructure and osmotically dry out from the inside. Seeds are meant to be exposed to freezing temperatures for just a few months in nature, and germinate afterwards in the spring. To me, freezing beyond the window in which nature does naturally, seems antithetical to preserving the seeds' long term integrity. By all means, however, I have no issue with anyone that does freeze seeds for long term storage based on their reasoning.

(No knock to anyone's preferred method)
I like to create an environment that generally mimics nature's ideal condition for germination. Moist medium packed loosely in warm temps. Coco coir with sphagnum peat moss underneath. Slight scoring on the split side of the husk. I'm very high and have rambled on quite a bit.

Last edited:

OldSkewlGrower

Come join the SB thread if you haven't already. Making an unlikely resurgence after so many years. Couple people there share your beliefs about the Bubba background

Looking forward to what comes out of the old school stash
Wow what a trip down memory lane! I followed that thread since its inception back in the day. Remember reading it constantly then because I was obsessed with Sour Bubble. I greatly appreciate the kind invite!

Last edited:

Old Piney

The well wishes are much obliged! You have Skunk #1 from the 80s? Wow. I definitely peed my pants a little just now. When you say "grown a few generations outside", do you mean you grew the few generations back in the 80's, then froze the seeds from those plants in '86? How were they? Pray tell.

Sadly, yes, these babies are getting up there in age. I'm hoping for the best though since they were specifically stored in the fridge. I do not freeze seeds. There are a couple reasons for this.

Freezing any living tissue runs the risk of cellular damage, through the restructuring of water molecules inside. Water forms a lattice when frozen, and this matrix forcibly demands more volume. The embryo inside the husk is alive and though much lower in moisture content than vegetative plant material, it still contains water. This water, exposed long enough to freezing temperatures, runs the risk of starting to restructure, ripping apart the cells, and destroying the embryo in the process. This is what happens when a person gets frostbite.

Also, the pocket of water inside the seed could start to also restructure and osmotically dry out from the inside. Seeds are meant to be exposed to freezing temperatures for just a few months in nature, and germinate afterwards in the spring. To me, freezing beyond the window in which nature does naturally, seems antithetical to preserving the seeds' long term integrity. By all means, however, I have no issue with anyone that does freeze seeds for long term storage based on their reasoning.

(No knock to anyone's preferred method)
I like to create an environment that generally mimics nature's ideal condition for germination. Moist medium packed loosely in warm temps. Coco coir with sphagnum peat moss underneath. Slight scoring on the split side of the husk. I'm very high and have rambled on quite a
How were they? Pray tell.
No they were all frozen since 91 .Some were good and some not so much (the sk 1 are still frozen ) I think it had more to do with how they were packed more than age. Most were folded in paper but some were in plastic bags, they are all in a Tupper ware container. The ones in the paper did better. I think it was a matter of moisture they are now all in paper with silica packs. In general they are about at 50 percent now. I kinda knew the whole thing about freezing but thought at the time not knowing when I would grow it was best. Keep those babies cold even for the photo ,I'm a bit anel that way I only brake my seed out below freezing

Last edited: