What's new

Using Silicon?

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I believe you might be referring to liquid silica. It enriches your crop by increasing the pH and also giving your plants great structural cellular strength… it makes weak stalk plants strong making them able to support heavier flowers

oldmaninbc

I believe you might be referring to liquid silica. It enriches your crop by increasing the pH and also giving your plants great structural cellular strength… it makes weak stalk plants strong making them able to support heavier flowers
If there was anything I would like to do improve my crop it would be to beef up the structure. Would the liquid silica interfere with the dolomite I use?

I would be happy to consider your advice, you have the gardening skills I look up to.

Reactions: Boo

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I believe you use the dolomite on the soil as a top dressing...the silica will not have any effect on it...I add roughly 5 ml. per gallon and then adjust my pH when all elements are mixed in...do your research and you'll find it's a very helpful additive to your garden...good luck

acespicoli

We have this stuff round these parts local folk call it sand kinda heavy and dont hold water
A bag in the mix is worth its weight with coco and or peat
Silicon dioxide, also known as silica, is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO2, commonly found in nature as quartz. In many parts of the world, silica is the major constituent of sand.

I imagine your into hydroponics ?

Brother Nature

Most modern fertilizers will contain a fair bit of silica, though it’s not a necessary nutrient to grow cannabis. A lot of ph up solutions are made of potassium silicate, which will eventually convert to mono silicic acid and be absorbed by the plant. I have personally used monosilicic acid at a 40% extraction to up the ph of some soil mixes I stuffed up, but in general it’s not going to make a huge difference to your plants. It works much better as a foliar spray in my experience. If you want very green instagramable plant pics it’s quite helpful ;).

Terpyterps

Best and most effective form is Mono-Silicic Acid in short MSA. Usually you blend it first in your water then add other stuff. It has very wide range of effects to the plants, one example is that it helps preventing disease and stress and against pests. Might work against powdery mildew apparently too, not sure if you would spray it then, but it makes cellular structures stronger and they help against all that. Also it helps with root growth and it has effect on nutrient and water intake.

growshopfrank

Veteran
I use it as alternative to ph up, I'm not convinced that makes much difference tbh but potsil is more concentrated than ph up so why not.
If using high percentage handle with care, keep off skin and eye protection recommended. same precautions apply with high percentage phosphoric acid.
If you get potassium silicate on hands it will feel soapy with water rinse FWIW.

Terpyterps

Also what you can do with MSA is to give your plants bigger dose before they start their stretch to keep them smaller. So you can reduce their size and promote more bushy structure. Aptus Regulator has also Molybdenum that is useful at moving Nitrogen from lower leaves to upper ones what helps at later flowering stage when they start to get depleted in Nitrogen. Also it has Boron that helps with Calcium intake, reason why I usually mix little bit of CalMag same time to take advantage of the Boron. I love how easy it is get advance growing knowledge of cannabis because there is much more research done and age of Podcasts makes it fun and easy to learn. At early 2000 there was so much less reliable information and based on what people said.

weedemart

Won't go in detail on the benefit of sillica for plants but don't waste your money on mono sillicic.not worth the premium. I recommend green planet plant guard.cheap and effective.any potassium sillicate product will do job.just make sure to always mix sillicate first and pH adjust to ph6 before adding nutrients and adjusting to final pH

Terpyterps

Aptus Regulator goes for $20/50ml bottle and it is highly concentrated and it is used at 1.5ml/10L and you end up using it just few times each grow. Although mine was free, but I would still buy it. When you use Potassium Silicate it is not freely available for your plants where MSA is, because first you need microbes or enzymes that brakes it down. Solely the reason why I use MSA, it goes straight in and you actually see the results very quickly. I’m just pointing it out, because I don’t care what you or anyone is using. I’m using only bottled nutrients for quick fixes or boosts, because they are not worth the premium, any of them. Why not to buy straight salts and mix your own because anyway all of the cannabis nutrients are scam? I’m growing in living soil and might need some quick fix because I rather use tiny bit of salt to counter any nutrient deficiency than let them suffer few weeks before they have even chance to fix it. Point being that MSA is better than Potassium Silicate and it works right away and that is what makes it valuable for my needs. But if you are in budget mix your own nutrients? You should of said that it is not worthy for you, because MSA is super good for the plants and that way you can actually push way more silicate into the plants.

Latest posts

Latest posts