What's new

:::::::USA Set to Reschedule Cannabis::::::: HHS Releases Recommendation Documents:::::::

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Everyone should be phenotype hunting and breeding as much as possible. Unique and locally acclimated strains will certainly be valuable.

Thing is, states who are failing to adopt a legal cannabis law are ensuring that cannabis business which come from their state will be far behind more mature businesses in other states. They won't be able to compete in the market if it goes on long enough because of cost efficiencies of large businesses and price points will have already been set.
They don't want healthy competition.
They want complete monopoly over every aspect in their or their donors hands.
That way they can make all the money off both ends.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats the issues that being pointed out from the beginning. Switching from Schedule 1 to Schedule 3 leaves it wide open for the cannabis industry to be controlled by big Pharma!!!!

Gives a whole new meaning to the strain name GMO!!!! Will be another slam against the cannabis gene pool having so much control in the hands of few rich elite who will not be able to produce quality medicine for patients or develop strains for various conditions.

Its going to be, "You get what you get." instead of allowing many breeders to flourish and the competition in the marketplace producing high quality cultivars for treating various health issues and other purposes.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Rescheduling Marijuana Is Not Enough​

Ten months after the Biden administration requested the Department of Health and Human Services “to initiate the administrative process to review expeditiously how marijuana is scheduled under federal law,” Secretary Xavier Becerra confirmed that the agency has recommended cannabis be removed from its Schedule I classification and placed in a lower schedule. While the explicit details of HHS’ recommendation are not public, reporting last week by Bloomberg News says that the agency is suggesting that cannabis be moved to Schedule III of the federal Controlled Substances Act.
While some entities, particularly those involved in the commercial cannabis industry, have lauded the proposed change as a “giant” step forward, others – like myself – have been far more restrained

I SUPPORT DESCHEDULING

Cannabis Must Be Descheduled

Here’s why.
First, reclassifying cannabis to a lower schedule within the CSA continues to misrepresent the plant’s safety relative to other controlled substances such as anabolic steroids and ketamine (Schedule III), benzodiazepines (Schedule IV), or even alcohol, which is unscheduled.
Second, moving cannabis to Schedule III is out of step with public and cultural consensus. Americans don’t want cannabis treated like heroin, like it is now. Still, they also don’t want it treated like a Schedule III substance like ketamine, which is only legal to possess with a physician’s prescription.
Third, and most importantly, this proposed change does little to address the widening divide between state-legal marijuana laws and federal law. Every state law that is currently in conflict with federal law today will remain in conflict with federal law going forward when or if the Administration reclassifies cannabis as a Schedule III substance.
That is why, historically, NORML has called for descheduling cannabis — removing it from the Controlled Substances Act altogether — thereby providing state governments rather than the federal government the ability to regulate marijuana as they see fit, without violating federal law.

Our Common Sense Message Is Resonating

Over the past few days, I’ve consistently promoted NORML’s call for descheduling cannabis to dozens of mainstream media outlets, including The Associated Press, The Washington Post, UPI, and PBS, reaching millions of people. On Thursday, I appeared live on CNN, saying: “Tobacco and alcohol are not in the Controlled Substances Act. Those substances are well recognized to pose far greater hazards to health than cannabis. We should treat marijuana [under the federal scheduling system] equally.”

NORML Stands With Consumers

As a grassroots organization that promotes freedom and civil liberties and represents the interests of the responsible cannabis consumer, we will continue to make the case for sensible marijuana policies like descheduling. Your support provides us with the resources we need to be your voice in Washington, DC, and to make sure your voice is heard loud and clear in the mainstream media.
Federal lawmakers are now returning from their August recess,and there is little doubt there will be more conversations than ever in the halls of Congress surrounding this issue. Your gift to NORML today ensures that you — the responsible consumer — will be heard loudly and clearly.

Shua1991

Everyone should be phenotype hunting and breeding as much as possible. Unique and locally acclimated strains will certainly be valuable.

Thing is, states who are failing to adopt a legal cannabis law are ensuring that cannabis business which come from their state will be far behind more mature businesses in other states. They won't be able to compete in the market if it goes on long enough because of cost efficiencies of large businesses and price points will have already been set.
The profit motive ruining human culture once again.

Sweatloaf

I think that depends on whether each state's laws say business is open only for businesses located in that state or if the laws don't require in-state ownership. If they don't require in-state ownership, then even in the holdout states, established franchises, chains or big companies will just hit the ground running.

ost

There are several lawmakers and groups such as veterans groups saying this is urgent, but its interesting, it may take a while because of these weak leaders we have. The representatives gave their power away to the un-elected beaurocracy, the federal agencies. Its up to the DEA to make a review right now reguarding people using a MEDICINE.

The DEA is a drug enforcement arm, and works to stop drug abuse, but they are not doctors or medical experts. They may consult some medical experts for their review of FDA and HHS memo on their study's conclusions, but they can make what ever determination they want, whenever they want. This is at the expense of the people.
this is true but there will come a day when they quit the gov. job only to be chased from the county , it comes under the heading of abuse of power by a un-elected beaurocracy

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah thats what I meant, is later on after the coast is clear, and its more normal, enter the system if necessary.

It seems silly to allow someone to grow only 6 plants! Also posession limits are still 2.5 oz in the state next tu us even though they allow home cultivation. How do you grow 6 plants and end up with 2.5 oz flower, what if you have more? What if you need more to get through the next production cycle.

The limits set by the politicians are a big turn off from my support. Its ignorance in action. They think they're making themselves look good to keep heavy opressive restrictions going, having learned NOTHING from prohibition. :smoke:

Need to look back at how alcohol prohibition was lifted. They had to amend the US Constitution, the 21st Amendment, in order to give the federal government authority to regulate it. Nothing goes off the Constitution now, the power is in the hands of the DEA right now.

Wondering how they went about lifting the ban on alcohol if and how they allowed home production of alcohol.

Scary time for people who want to use this natural botanical medicine. Its in the hands of the DEA, a drug abuse oriented agency, and our Elected Represenatives have no power over their decision.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is rediculous, they want to study the cannabis plant now. But we are going to have to wait to build and establish the center, then studies can begin which will take years. This is not going to happen overnight. The politicians who want more research to be done need to look at studies that have already been done. There is going to be so much damage caused by prohibition as they drag their feet and delay until the very last second. What an embarassment. Yes we need certain studies to be completed and repeated for verification, but as of right now, there is more than enough information to gather to make an informed decision.

Cannabis research has been majorly impeded because of prohibitionis policies. They have set it up in every way to make it difficult to correct this political mistake.

Even the culture has been manipulated and tricked into thinking about cannabis in terms of abuse potential instead of what it truely is, a medicine which can be utilized for a variety of symptoms and conditons with a high level of safety. The mainstream has pre programmed everyone to think about cannabis in a certain way instead of taking a step back and realizing adults are able to moderate their use of it just like alcohol or coffee or tobacco.

Adults are being treated AS CHILDREN by the politicians who want to look good because they are trying to keep us safe. Most people see though this nonsense, and understand the level of disrespect and corruption of our political leaders who supposedly represent our interests.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
full

armedoldhippy

Veteran
those idiots are NOT going to trust research already done, for the simple reason that THEY were not in charge and able to direct the findings to fit their preconceived notions. it's like most of the research already done here in the US. the "studies" were not OKed by the DEA if they were not looking for harm ...not looking for harm it causes? no cannabis for you to study. sorry...(not)

• Love
Reactions: Gry

moose eater

That would make home grows illegal federally if I understand the scheduling.
I must admit that I chuckled when I read this. And no offense intended, but I assumed you were maybe high when you wrote that?

Home-grows are and have been illegal federally, scheduled as a Schedule 1 substance in the 1970 Federal Controlled Substances Act, tantamount to heroin or other drugs with no recognized medical value and high frequency of addiction.

It was Richard Nixon's less than subtle way of saying, "I fucking -HATE- Abby Hoffman and Jerry Ruben, and those damned anti-war hippies in general!!"

Getting popped by the Feds for a home-grow for a plant that's a Schedule III substance, is FAR better than getting popped by the Feds for a Schedule I substance.

But the Feds typically don't have time for home-grows, unless you're running a lot of plants, being loose with traffic, flaunting that you're getting side money and not putting into the IRS kitty, or etc.

If one became high-profile and a desirable target for other reasons, then maybe that too.

But overall, the Feds are quite busy, and when they're not, they're taking expensive vacations on our dimes and earning a bad reputation for the rest of us USA folks. In general, the reason when people I knew traveled abroad in the 1970s, they sewed Canadian flags on their packs. Some folks who have gone before us haven't always made good impressions on the proverbial Natives.

But don't sweat too awful much about the Feds and home-grows. If they were to even begin to engage in a serious program to take down home-grows in the US, they'd have to hire a whole lot more of the population than they're financially able or even interested in to even make that a decent pipe dream. No pun intended.

They weren't busting a shitload of home-grows when it was Scheduled with heroin. Not unless one of the previously listed 'wires' got tripped.

I -do- make a point of not toking in the open when I go to the Federal bldg in town or when I'm in Denali Nat'l Park. :)

Edit: By the way, if people -are- behaving obviously and loosely, with less than legal grows for unreported and unlicensed profit in states that are now legal, it'll likely be the state busting the grower anyway, not the Feds. The Feds have their agenda, but the state, now that it's legal, expects their revenue money. And they especially hate us growers who might take a dollar out of their pocket.

Speaking from experience, having watched as fewer pot busts were in the papers, but more were happening at times in the stats than during pre-legalization. Before we were just hippies they loved to hate. Now we're hippies they still often love to hate, who they view as taking money out of their pockets.

Last edited:

mexweed

Veteran
CBD plants have been crisprd for at least the past 5 years to remove the THC gene and add an extra CBD producing one

You could potentially edit a plant to have defense against mites, edit in a gene that prevents the contraction of viruses etc

No little backwoods grow is even going to be a flea on the back of legitimate science when it comes to "competition", because unfortunately many of those growers are about the farthest thing from actual geneticists and they don't have the funding and resources, it's people that have been using the same soil mix for the past half century inbreeding the same few strains that haven't learned anything new vs people with comparatively endless resources that experiment with new things daily

The federal government funds plenty of cannabis research, in post legalization states research is funded by state health departments, which receive funding from the federal government, there are even cannabis industry/botany classes at some community colleges

Hippies wouldn't exist without Albert Hofmann, and he was literally a "big pharma" scientist

"They" are not coming for home grows

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I must admit that I chuckled when I read this. And no offense intended, but I assumed you were maybe high when you wrote that?

Home-grows are and have been illegal federally, scheduled as a Schedule 1 substance in the 1970 Federal Controlled Substances Act, tantamount to heroin or other drugs with no recognized medical value and high frequency of addiction.

It was Richard Nixon's less than subtle way of saying, "I fucking -HATE- Abby Hoffman and Jerry Ruben, and those damned anti-war hippies in general!!"

Getting popped by the Feds for a home-grow for a plant that's a Schedule III substance, is FAR better than getting popped by the Feds for a Schedule I substance.

But the Feds typically don't have time for home-grows, unless you're running a lot of plants, being loose with traffic, flaunting that you're getting side money and not putting into the IRS kitty, or etc.

If one became high-profile and a desirable target for other reasons, then maybe that too.

But overall, the Feds are quite busy, and when they're not, they're taking expensive vacations on our dimes and earning a bad reputation for the rest of us USA folks. In general, the reason when people I knew traveled abroad in the 1970s, they sewed Canadian flags on their packs. Some folks who have gone before us haven't always made good impressions on the proverbial Natives.

But don't sweat too awful much about the Feds and home-grows. If they were to even begin to engage in a serious program to take down home-grows in the US, they'd have to hire a whole lot more of the population than they're financially able or even interested in to even make that a decent pipe dream. No pun intended.

They weren't busting a shitload of home-grows when it was Scheduled with heroin. Not unless one of the previously listed 'wires' got tripped.

I -do- make a point of not toking in the open when I go to the Federal bldg in town or when I'm in Denali Nat'l Park. :)

Edit: By the way, if people -are- behaving obviously and loosely, with less than legal grows for unreported and unlicensed profit in states that are now legal, it'll likely be the state busting the grower anyway, not the Feds. The Feds have their agenda, but the state, now that it's legal, expects their revenue money. And they especially hate us growers who might take a dollar out of their pocket.

Speaking from experience, having watched as fewer pot busts were in the papers, but more were happening at times in the stats than during pre-legalization. Before we were just hippies they loved to hate. Now we're hippies they still often love to hate, who they view as taking money out of their pockets.
Yeah that's my point as well..........doesn't change anything making that particular change.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

full

Psalm 27 NKJV

An Exuberant Declaration of Faith​

A Psalm of David.​

27 The Lord is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When the wicked came against me
To eat[a] up my flesh,
My enemies and foes,
They stumbled and fell.
3 Though an army may encamp against me,
My heart shall not fear;
Though war may rise against me,
In this I will be confident.

4 One thing I have desired of the Lord,
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life,
To behold the [b]beauty of the Lord,
And to inquire in His temple.
5 For in the time of trouble
He shall hide me in His pavilion;
In the secret place of His tabernacle
He shall hide me;
He shall set me high upon a rock.

6 And now my head shall be [c]lifted up above my enemies all around me;
Therefore I will offer sacrifices of [d]joy in His tabernacle;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord.

7 Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice!
Have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
8 When You said, “Seek My face,”
My heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.”
9 Do not hide Your face from me;
Do not turn Your servant away in anger;
You have been my help;
Do not leave me nor forsake me,
O God of my salvation.
10 When my father and my mother forsake me,
Then the Lord will take care of me.

11 Teach me Your way, O Lord,
And lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies.
12 Do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries;
For false witnesses have risen against me,
And such as breathe out violence.
13 I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
That I would see the goodness of the Lord
In the land of the living.

14 Wait[e] on the Lord;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the Lord!

Latest posts

Latest posts