What's new

STEP IN THE ARENA

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Lookin forward to seein that DSD99, that sounds like some fire! pineapple and strawberries..... hell yeah.

bobblehead

Veteran
Lots of work buddy, good job. I like it so much, I'm doing something similar. :) 12 3gal bags, I just have a bit more width to work with, and less height. I'll be using 2 600's this run, once they get here...

picture.php

whodair

Veteran
marlo have you tried running your lights 9 hrs each. 6 hrs full brightness in the middle and 3 hr single bulb at the begininning and end of light cycle ??

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been gone for a while. My bad for not updating. Life gets in the way sometimes.

This grow was finished up a cpl weeks ago. This 2nd run with this "system" turned out better than the 1st. However there was still more larf and airy buds on the inside than I would have liked. I was unable to keep up with the trimming because of changes in my schedule lately, and I'm sure that contributed to the yield. I pretty much let em go after day 40 or so.

I did not take any harvest pics or dried weight. I would guess about 22oz total, which is disappointing imo. Some plants did great, others were way too low. Reducing the # of plants will eliminate alot of the problems. I'm sure this next run will be more efficient.

The next run has already started and I have changed a few things.
12 plants was too much. Cutting it down to 10 plants this time. I think they will benefit from some more elbow room. This way I can have 8 plants directly facing a lamp and 2 receiving side light from 2 lamps.

I have also started flowering sooner. The girls from run #2 were too thick for 400w lamps. Only one week of veg after potting up on this run. I plan to train them into the screen longer into the stretch. I don't want them growing into the light when the weight starts to make em lean.

As for the fan leaf trimming, I'm doing it on a looser schedule.
Once the screen is applied, they are being cut and plucked as necessary. Any fan leaf that is shading any budsite is being cut. Small fans are being spared. A few a day per plant will keep it in line. Probably 100+ fans will get cut on average per week.
I'm going to continue this way to avoid having to do mass trimming on days 21 and 40. Same concept tho. Buds over leaves.

This run will be a test of Reservior Seeds Galadriel (Sour Diesel x C99). All the info from the beginning can be found here
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=164201

hey man what are the dimensions of your screens? those are really cool

I don't remember exactly. Maybe 8 x 30? or something close to it.
They are not much wider than my 3gal square pots.
I'd make em shorter if I had to build em again. The 400 watt lamps dont spread very far.

great grow Marlo. How do you work the plants into the screens?

Very carefully bro. I've snapped some pretty big branches more than once.
Working em around in loops is the way to go. Most branches are fairly easy to manipulate that way. If you have to make a turn or sharp bend, make sure you crush the stem at the pivot point and it won't break. It'll heal itself in no time.
I also used twine to control things once the colas formed.

MARLO

bobcat420

Your Grow is inspiring Marlo.

Ive recently educated myself on the importance of cooler (>80) temperatures. It seems as though anything over 80 degrees will cause airy buds.

Certainly not an expert, after all it was my research was driven by my airy buds

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
hey marlo i had the same problems too...lots of larf and dissapointing weight. as well as dropping the plant numbers, i am also trying to stick to just one or two strains. ive always experianced shitty harvests when running a bunch of different strains.

how was the quality...did you notice any kind of slack in their resin production due to the fan leaf trimming?

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your Grow is inspiring Marlo.

Ive recently educated myself on the importance of cooler (>80) temperatures. It seems as though anything over 80 degrees will cause airy buds

Wsup Bobcat. Temps were fine for this grow. Stariting warmig up at the end, but the night temps were nice and cool. This run tho is another story. I hope I can make it work.

hey marlo i had the same problems too...lots of larf and dissapointing weight. as well as dropping the plant numbers, i am also trying to stick to just one or two strains. ive always experianced shitty harvests when running a bunch of different strains.

how was the quality...did you notice any kind of slack in their resin production due to the fan leaf trimming?

Other than the BOG LSD (that shit was crap), the quality was great. The buds on the tops and outsides were solid for the most part. Just the middle of all the plants were very unproductive.
My DSD turned out to be the biggest yielder. Works great in this setup.
I also agree the plant #'s has to be the biggest factor. And flipping earlier will help alot as well. Check out the new run in my signature. This run looks better than the last.
Cutting down on the # of strains from here on out. My plan is to have 4 or 5 strains that behave pretty much the same as far as size,flower time, nutes etc....
Something like Galadriel, Chemdog DD, Sour Diesel, Double Strawberry Diesel and DSD99. 2 of each of those might keep me happy.
I always end up wanting something else tho. Having a full stash of seeds in the fridge doesn't help either.

MARLO

down2grow

Great thread Marlo! I just harvested four plants(LUI, Blueberry, Grape Ape & Maui) of my first grow ever. I went with individual vscrogs and 3 gallon pots of bcuzz coco. Following Rez' feeding schedule as well. After a 5 day hang dry I was just shy of 3 zips per. They are now in jars with hygrometers. I totally feel you with the airy buds towards the main stalks. The next run I'm going to trim off a lot of the lower branches and most likely get rid of all the popcorns in between. I'm gonna start my own thread after I harvest the next four and rearrange things. I'm looking forward to your next run!

D2g