What's new

micro carbon scrubber

sugabear_II

Veteran
sm0kateer4204 this is one of the most creative things ive seen in some time! someone should sticky this. suga bear good to you see again man long time no see.

Hey sm0kateer4204 - good to see you as well - this thread is linked into the ICMAG DIY Link-O-Rama - which has a collection of DIY threads for folks to reference much like the OG GrowFaq.

krly said:
Sugabear....I don't want to hijack your thread but my post count doesn't allow me to pm you. Back in the old OG days was it you that posted a quick method to make ice hash with a coffee filter ? If so, would you mind re-posting it ? Thanks (and Hello, from Anaheim)
krly

No actually it wasn't me - I've only made hash with bubble (type) bags and silk screens for dry sift. Sorry!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bongasaurus said:
So I went to Walmart today to get me some supplies to build a scrubber. I still hadnt really decided on if i should go with this design or red greenerys rubbermaid scrubber. I dedided on this as it will just take up much less space and seems like about the same carbon coverage.

i found the mesh pencil holder sugarbear pointed out but no jumbo sizes left in stock but i managed to find a bigger one elsewhere. I got my supplies together and i was ready to build. It seems like there must be other growers around here, Walmart was sold out of activated carbon too :redface: I also found that elsewhere. Along with some duct tape, about a foot of weather stipping, some pantyhose and duct clamp

I had to remove the foam cushion and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the pencil holders. Then wrapped them in the panty hose. I rolled up the netting on the smaller one leaving the extra up top which i tucked inbetween the 2 mesh cyliners after I had filled them with the carbon. Then jammed the weather stripping in, and finally attached the clamp. She just needs to be hooked to some ducting and then up to the fan one the hopeful lades start flowering.

Thanks Sugabear! Just thought Id share my take on your scrubber desgin. Hope this might help others out

well ic wont let me upload pics again :bashhead:Ill edit em in when its working

Nice!

Any particular reason you drilled holes in the bottoms?

I thought nestled scrubbers had solid bottoms so the air would hit the bottom and be forced out the sides thus utilizing a large surface area (the sides).

With your design won't the blown air mostly just shoot through the bottom? ie the majority of the air will be scrubbed by a tiny area on the scrubber (the bottom instead of the sides)?

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
interesting pont there blynx. never really thought it through i guess. but i think since the air is going to be blown through a hose then the scrubber, hopefully there will be a bit more even distribution of air. though i did keep the bottom foam pads. i might be closing off the bottom depending on the stink faactor

sugabear_II

Veteran
I tend to think that the back pressure of pushing through carbon at the end of the filter or on the sides of the filter will force the air out the sides as well as bottom of the filter.

it is true that pro carbon filters do have a closed bottom - but I think this is more of a ease of construction thing then a design for airflow purposes.

-suga

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
probably would have been easier without drilling all those holes. 10 minutes less on the build time anyway. its all good

thought id add this to this page aswell. I bought a dryer vent frrom home depot and with 5 minutes with a hacksaw, it makes a nice neat transfer out of your cab to the hose.

Mini_Maple_Tree

I'm not quite following the whole thing about the holes in the bottom. Are you saying that if there are no holes in the bottom, the air will just flow around the obstructions (the bottoms of the pencil holders), through the sides of the filter, then through the fan, and it will be using more of the carbons surface area? See fig. 1. (arrows are airflow, thick black line = obstruction to airflow, thin black line = filter sides that allow air to pass through, gray spray paint = charcoal.

Isn't this (fig. 2) how it will work if there are holes in the bottom of the pencil holders? Won't the same volume of air be taken through a straighter course through the filter if there are holes? Contaminated air will be passing through all points on the carbon filter. If there is a thicker layer of carbon between the bottoms of the pencil holders than there is between the sides of the pencil holders, won't that make up for the fact that more air will be taken in from the bottom of the pencil holders?

Honestly, I don't understand the design without holes in the bottom. It just seems like another way to add positve pressure to your box or room, which will just make your smell problem worse.

just two cents, please, correct me if im wrong.

fig 1. - http://www.icmag.com/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=505418&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

fig 2. - http://www.icmag.com/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=505419&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Mini Maple Tree... Id go with figure two.. It doesnt make sense to force that air out the sides like the pro scrubbers... We're worried about airflow, not JUST smell.. So i would go with drilling the wholes, cuz thats still alot of carbon that air is going to touch... Just my 2cents

snoop-a-loop

I'm gonna built one of these with in the next two weeks for my micro grow. But I've heard that it is better to pull the air thru the carbon the push it out. I'm not sure if this has been answered or not but is there a way to put this in front of the fans without taking up space inside of the grow area? Also, is it possible to hook up two of these instead of one to ensure that all of the odor is taken care of? One just seems as though it would only remove some of the smell.

G

a pack of four PC case fans runs $14.95 at any Fry's Electronics. I just bought those badboys and a cheap cellphone wall charger, and viola- a magical ~200CFM from case fans ^^

Ryu

Suck it!

Suck it!

Bongasaurus

Sucking through the filter has always given me better airflow but I get reasonable results with the first one I made where it pushes through due to the design/space restrictions.

So far as long as you don't have heat to deal with, microgrows seem to need very little airflow to work.

More is always good though.

T

TheOneWill

I will build me one of these for the upgrade on my cab.

Last edited:
U

UBER21

sugabear_II said:
Micro carbon scrubber

This design is adapted from a larger design built by Haps that uses a big net pot and a milk crate for full room odor control. This one is designed to work with computer fans and is intended for micro grows.

Materials;

Carbon - you don't need much.
3" net pot
4" net pot
hot air register filters or some other filter like material (edit: pantyhose is a great option here that people have actually found to be superior - a pair of the type found in those plastic eggs/balls is adequate for one scrubber and should run less than a dollar)
duct tape (but of course!)

So here we go.

Tape a couple of pieces of filter over the outside of the 4" net pot. (edit: or just stretch the pantyhose over the net pot.)

Here it is done.

edit: this step can be accomplished using pantyhose instead and may in fact be easier and provide better airflow - this is what i happened to have laying around at the time.

Now add a layer of carbon into the bottom - maybe 1/4" deep.

Now add filter to the inside of your 3" net pot.

I did this in a rush and I have a tendency to just throw things together, I am sure this could be done more carefully but this is what I did.

So now we put the 3" in the 4" and add carbon a little at a time between the 3" and the 4". Pressing down and shaking it occasionally will ensure fill is good and even.

Now we tape the gap.

Here it is done. Again I'm sure people can do this and make it nicer.

So now I tape it to my intake on this pci slot fan which I like for exhausting micro grow spaces.

Now we are done. Air flow is still very good.

I built this for a drying box and it kept the smell under control - considering I had about 3+oz dry of stinky buds in there I feel it should work well for the micro grower.

I'm going to give it a run in a few weeks when I need to flower a plant in the cab I usually veg in.

So I challenge you micro growers out there to try this design out and tell me what you think. It is meant to be cheap and easy to assemble and should not only cut down odor but works as a light trap.

suga

edit: so what do you do if you don't have a set of net pots and/or easy access to a hydro store - well you look for something else to use instead at a place you probably do have access to - a walmart - and here's what bongasaurus did with some black wire mesh pencil holders like this

and construct using the same principals (big thanks to bongasaurus for the great add on DIY w/pics :yes: )....

Wow that looks awesome sugar bear.....Im interested in the second model....question??? What type of filter did you use to layer both the outside and inside of the can filters??? I can see u used the stocking for the outside but was there any other filter used on the inside and out?? Thanks im going to use this for my pc grow...... :rasta:

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
just the stockings uber.

just thought id let everyone know that ive got some plants starting flowering now and the scrubbers doing a great job so far

DigiTM

I just want to bump this topic because of how useful it is. Currently using the second method for my scrubber and haven't had an issue so far.

On thing I would change though is that I wouldn't drill holes into the bottom of the large outside container (for me a pencil holder). Most carbon scrubbers have the ends capped off to allow for the air to be pushed out the sides anyways, and having the holes only allowed for minor spillage of carbon from the inside into the nylon for me. Which didn't affect it majorly, but was a pain a little bit.

Either way though, very good tut. Recommend to anyone who wants to use this for a micro-grow.

Drink Milk

Thank you sugabear for your wealth of knowledge...i'm doing a PC case grow and i was wondering if the case had to be airtight in all the areas except the front where the passive intake would come through..i plan on doing two fans maybe one for circulation and the other for the smell.. or should i do two carbon scrubbers and have them both exhausting? Thanks...

Latest posts

Latest posts