What's new

micro carbon scrubber

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Hi Sugabear, nice thread and I like the scrubber very much. Gonna be my project for the weekend, I need one on my dryer box.

G

when im unbroke i will be constructing a couple of these

great design sugabear_II :joint:

Mr_Micro

This is a really great looking design! Most mini scrubbers that I've seen arn't that effective and restrict airflow too much, but this one looks absolutely perfect for the new mini PC case growbox I'm building.

Gimme a few weeks and I'll be building one of these and testing it out for sure. I think I'm gonna use 4" and 5" net pots instead of 3" and 4" though. I'm running 90mm 55 cfm fans so using a 4" as the inside one and 5" as the outside should fit perfectly.

Thanks again for this great design SugaBear! I'll be sure to let you know how it works :)

G

Very nice thread sugabear san,

But I wonder about that mini-scrubber's real capability of effectiveness. Do you really think that that scrubber will remove the smell from a grow?

I'll be the first one to congratulate a fellow ICMag member for a great idea, but are you sure that the mini-scrubber really works?

It would be a shame for someone to be midway through a grow in an apartment building and find out in the morning that the scrubber doesn't have enough carbon and the whole place smells like marijuana, creating much unnecesary attention by other residents.

Don't take my post the wrong way, I have nothing but respect. But I just do not want people to be fooled, and have to find out about it in the middle of a grow.

sugabear_II

Veteran
~Ninja~ said:
Very nice thread sugabear san,

But I wonder about that mini-scrubber's real capability of effectiveness. Do you really think that that scrubber will remove the smell from a grow?
yes I think it will remove the smell from a micro grow. I have used it on a drying box and it controlled the odor from 2oz of stinky fresh cut buds pretty well. I also know another grower who has successfully used it on a drying box.

The original design by haps is much larger and he uses it successfully on a large room to control odors.

so the answer is yes I am confident that this can work for a micro grow.

I'll be the first one to congratulate a fellow ICMag member for a great idea, but are you sure that the mini-scrubber really works?
see above
It would be a shame for someone to be midway through a grow in an apartment building and find out in the morning that the scrubber doesn't have enough carbon and the whole place smells like marijuana, creating much unnecesary attention by other residents.

Don't take my post the wrong way, I have nothing but respect. But I just do not want people to be fooled, and have to find out about it in the middle of a grow.

certainly I would always caution folks to have a plan b in mind when trying a new setup out. I mean it could work for one person and then not work for another, you never know for sure.

I would certainly suggest having extra carbon around - and you will since this design doesn't use a full containers worth.

Anyways - Has anyone put one of these into use for a micro grow so far?

-suga

Last edited:
G

i heard something about leaving an open bag of grilling charcoal in a grow room to capture the funk, but do you think a couple of crushed brickets of charcoal could take the place of the carbon from the filters?

wats up suga:wave:

sugabear_II

Veteran
rkrone said:
i heard something about leaving an open bag of grilling charcoal in a grow room to capture the funk, but do you think a couple of crushed brickets of charcoal could take the place of the carbon from the filters?

wats up suga:wave:

no I don't think it would take the place. The key is passing the stinky air across as much carbon surface area as possible - actively. Also activated carbon is not the same as charcoal. Activated carbon is charcoal that has been treated with acid - activating it - this creates "holes" in the carbon that can pull in and trap odor particles.

-suga

Hitboss

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, besides making a huge mess with the carbon.

I made one with carbon filter material and that turned out to be too thick. I made two different version with the carbon filter material and both were too thick.

Then I bought filter material exactly like yours. The duct tape doesn't really want to stick to the filter material, it seems like it just raises up over time, which causes another problem. I get it taped together and the duct tape wants to rise into the fan over time because it loosens off the filter material.

Yea this isn't exactly rocket science but it isn't working as easy as the pictures show, not for me at least. :bashhead:

Anyone have any ideas how I could get past this stuff?

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
Hitboss,

not sure what you mean by carbon filter material? the activated carbon pellets? the layer should be fairly thin between the two net cups - if not consider maybe different size net cups (they're not all the same).

anyways I did not have the issue with my duct tape over time but maybe it will occur - try using something else to secure the filter in place such as a big rubber band or those plastic pull ties.

another very good suggestion is to use a pair of pantyhose instead of the filter material.

maybe if you take some pictures it would help me to help you. Remember these guides are just that a guide you will need to work out what works best for you.

-suga

Hitboss

Thanks for the help sugabear.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm using regular pc fans, and not slot fans, which doesn't seem to cause any problems.

I went out and bought some pantyhose ("They're not for me!" jk lol) and it worked out perfect. With the pantyhose it's actually held together a lot better. There's also better airflow. I haven't tested if it actually removes the smell (I'm sure it does since it worked so good for you), won't be able to test that for a few more weeks.

I'd definitely recommend the pantyhose, get rid of the filter material :p.

Anyways, thanks again!

*Edit - Forgot to mention the pantyhose is a lot cheaper too. For each scrubber you'll need one set of pantyhose, the ones that come in the little plastic balls (plastic balls like you see in quarter machines). Cost me $0.33 each at Walmart.

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
Hey Hitboss,

glad I could help and glad that the pantyhose works well for you - I will edit the original post to add a note about that.

-suga

ReeferDan

hey suga, do you think this scrubber will work for a "red greenery" style tub? I was going to use yours because its more stealth and sleek than the dryer ducting/rubbermaid container. If anything, i was going to make 2 of them to have dual 120mm fan exhausts going out scrubbers used most likely outside of the case in a "pusher" format so the fans would be inside the case connected to two of the carbon filters sitting on the rear outside of the case.

Mr_Micro

ReeferDan said:
hey suga, do you think this scrubber will work for a "red greenery" style tub? I was going to use yours because its more stealth and sleek than the dryer ducting/rubbermaid container. If anything, i was going to make 2 of them to have dual 120mm fan exhausts going out scrubbers used most likely outside of the case in a "pusher" format so the fans would be inside the case connected to two of the carbon filters sitting on the rear outside of the case.

Hmm... I don't see why this wouldn't work just fine. I'm using this carbon filter design in my "Nanomachine" cab and it's been working great through the entire grow (check the link in my signature to see it in action).Kills every last particle of odor and keeps the grow 100% funk free.

But it's worth noting that if your going to be using 120mm fans you'll need to get 5" and 6" net cups instead of the usual 3" and 4". Since the original design is sized for a 80mm fan you'll need bigger net pots if you want to step it up to a 120mm fan. You might be able to get away with using 4" and 5", but I think your best bet will be 5" and 6" if your gonna be using the bigger fans.

But yeah, two of them should provide plenty of cooling and odor filtration so I'd say go for it. I've had great success with Suga Bear's design and I'd recommend it to any micro grower in need of a great carbon filter. :yes: :smoke:

ReeferDan

Good thing about the bigger pots, my local hydro store doesnt have the small ones!! i think they only have a 4" and 6", i'll figure something out...

i was thinking of having two of them pulling air out up near the lights (cfl's) so that the air would come up and over the lights to cool, rather than putting a seperate chamber for the lights and having that cooled by itself.

What is the formula for intake vs. exhaust for a negative pressure system (or whatever system is the best for smell proofing/growing mmj?) isnt it intake is 2x exhaust? if so, i'll need a big intake, i think i'll put a piece of carbon matt filter over the intake part.

Last edited:
I plan on building one of these, it will be my first. Can someone tell me how to place the fan inside, I mean should it be blowing into the carbon or facing out? Thank you

Latest posts

Latest posts