What's new

:::::::Indiana Cannabis Reform Legislation::::::

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just hope more people don't get hurt during this period of prohibition. It really creates so many problems.

They want to talk about all these petty issues cannabis could supposedly cause on rare populations. The harm caused by prohibition is so much greater. The sanctions of the laws are much more worse consequences than cannabis itself. There are countless other unintended negative consequences as well. It fosters social division, and creates dangerous situations.

For heaven's sake, cannabis makes you more healthy, its a medicine! Its hard to believe we are HAVING THIS CONVERSATION... Been so many years now. :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
full

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Several Bills Proposed In An Effort To Legalize Marijuana In Indiana​

Written by Staff

Published on January 15, 2024

Indiana’s Democratic Senators Rodney Pol and David Niezgodski have introduced multiple bills aimed at legalizing marijuana in some capacity.

Two of the bills, Senate Bill 99 and Senate Bill 107, filed on January 9, propose a comprehensive framework for regulating marijuana for medical and recreational purposes, with strict guidelines for possession, cultivation and distribution.

The bills, if passed, would enable adults over 21 with qualifying medical conditions to access medical marijuana and limit the possession of adult-use cannabis to one ounce per 30-day period, according to the Tenth Amendment Center. A critical aspect of these bills is the provision for expungement of past marijuana-related convictions, aligning with the proposed legal changes.

Marijuana has been a topic during the legislative session every year for the last several years. However, the legalization of Marijuana has been blocked by Gov. Eric Holcomb without much debate.

Holcomb has long said that he would not support marijuana legalization until it is dealt with at the federal level.

Senate Pro Tempore Rodric Bray, R-Martinsville and House Speaker Todd Huston, R-Fishers both said in November that they did not expect the issue to advance in their chambers in 2024.

Three of the four states bordering Indiana – Ohio, Illinois and Michigan – have all legalized recreational marijuana.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really wondering how this is going to go if the DEA reschedules to Schedule 3 because then the FDA will have to create a new regulatory for "whole plant" botanical medicines.

I wonder what FDA is going to do with this? Are they funded to be able to do all that regulatory work?

Congress needs to get their act together and take some leadership on this issue, and not pass this off to the offices of the un-elected agencies.

There are decisions about how to best set up the regulatory framework for cannabis, but I guess congress is out of the loop at the moment. They are leaving it where it is in the Controlled Substances Act and allowing the agencies to decide what way to regulate it.

Agency decisions may not be representative of the will of the people or be of benefit to them compared with a representative form of legislative authority, where the people are able to hold lawmakers accountable.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Maybe thats the plan??? Legislators are going to play stupid so we can't hold government accountable. :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HB 1265
Rep. Sue Errington - D Muncie discussing allowing advisory Ballot Initiaves. to legalize cannabis cannabis in amendment to HB 1265

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why did Indiana never conduct studies on cannabis to test its medical use efficiency? They seem to hae no problem doing so with the hallucinogen psilocybin.

Introduced Session​

2024 Regular Session

Bill Summary​

Psilocybin treatment program. Establishes the therapeutic psilocybin research fund, administered by the Indiana department of health (state department), to provide financial assistance to research institutions in Indiana to study the use of psilocybin to treat mental health and other medical conditions. Sets forth clinical study requirements. Requires a research institution that receives a grant to conduct a clinical study to prepare and submit a report to the interim study committee on public health, behavioral health, and human services, the state department, and the division of mental health and addiction.

Subject​

No subjects listed

Sponsors (5)​

Edward Charbonneau (R)*, Tyler Johnson (R)*, Justin Busch (R), Rodney Pol (D), Shelli Yoder (D),

Last Action--(Next meeting)​

Senate Appropriations Hearing (09:00:00 2/1/2024 Room 431) (on 02/01/2024)

Official Document​

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2024/bills/senate/139/details

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I didn't realize hemp can't be used as animal feed for production! I figured that was solved in the 2018 Farm bill which legalized hemp farming.

Using hemp in animal production, we should be having some really healthy livestock and better quality foods.

Its almost like they delayed this to allow the pesticide and GMO industry to reap their final profits before hemp is legalized for use in animal feed.

This will be great! Could replace Soy as a protein source guys! The pesticide companies will take a hit because hemp requires little to no pesticides to produce.

Hearing Only --No vote held​

Introduced Session​

2024 Regular Session

Bill Summary​

Use of hemp products in animal feed. Provides, for purposes of the commercial feed law, that the definition of "commercial feed" includes hemp or a substance derived from hemp added for use as feed or for mixing in feed for a pet, specialty pet, horse, or animal that will not be sold for human consumption. Defines "hemp" for purposes of the commercial feed law.

Subject​

No subjects listed

Sponsors (1)​

Beau Baird (R)*,

Last Action​

House Agriculture and Rural Development Hearing (10:30:00 1/29/2024 Room 156-C) (on 01/29/2024)

Official Document​

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2024/bills/house/1419/details

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its great they are changing the definition of commercial feed to include hemp, but it looks like its only for animals not for human consumption. Not sure why they would make this limitation, but maybe its just to at least allow the law to be passed, then it can be corrected with an amendment before or after taking effect.

People are so scared of cannabis hemp, they don't even want to allow hemp seed in animal feed!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Introduced Session​

2024 Regular Session

Bill Summary​

Craft hemp flower. Defines "work in progress hemp extract" for purposes of the statute concerning industrial hemp. Provides that a licensed hemp handler may possess, manufacture, store, transport, or sell work in progress hemp extract. Defines "craft hemp flower". Provides for purposes of the statute concerning the adulteration or misbranding of foods, that a food is not considered adulterated for containing low THC hemp extract or craft hemp flower.

Sets forth certain restrictions with respect to the packaging of low THC hemp extract. Prohibits the sale of low THC hemp extract to a person less than 21 years of age, if the low THC hemp extract contains certain elements.

Establishes certain regulatory testing and packaging requirements for the distribution of craft hemp flower and establishes certain infractions applicable to the possession, distribution, or sale of craft hemp flower in violation of these requirements.

Adds craft hemp flower to statutes imposing an infraction with regard to persons less than 21 years of age and involving the sale, distribution, purchase, and possession of tobacco, e-liquids, or electronic cigarettes.

Provides that craft hemp flower is not included in the definition of: (1) "controlled substance analog"; (2) "hashish"; (3) "low THC hemp extract"; (4) "marijuana"; or (5) "controlled substance" for purposes of the criminal statute concerning controlled substances. Repeals the definitions of: (1) "hemp bud"; (2) "hemp flower"; and (3) "smokable hemp"; in the criminal statute concerning controlled substances. Makes conforming amendments in other sections of the Indiana Code. Repeals the Indiana Code provision that establishes dealing in smokable hemp as a Class A misdemeanor.

Subject​

No subjects listed

Sponsors (4)​

Jake Teshka (R)*, Steve Bartels (R), Ryan Hatfield (D), Ethan Manning (R),

Last Action​

Second reading: amended, ordered engrossed (on 01/22/2024)

Official Document​

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2024/bills/house/1079/details

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That would be great to be able to get hemp flower! Hemp Extract is so expensive, and the terpenes are changed or lost.

I do have a good extract, but I would like to try hemp flower. I have heard it tastes good. I bet its more therapeutic in some ways than full spectrum CBD hemp extracts.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HB 1079 Craft Hemp Flower-- House Chamber actions:

HSecond reading: amended, ordered engrossed01/30/2024
HAmendment #4 (Prescott) prevailed; voice vote01/30/2024
HAmendment #5 (Teshka) prevailed; voice vote01/30/2024
UKHouse Amendment #5 - House Amendment #501/30/2024
UKHouse Amendment #4 - House Amendment #401/30/2024

This bill was not scheduled to be heard on 1/30, it must have been put in the schedule at the last minute. I think its at the beginning of the day. Will let you know when uploaded.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Craft Hemp Flower will receive 3rd reading in House Chamber today after amendment #4 and #5 took place yesterday.

House Convenes at 11:00AM

Click here for livestream/recording

armedoldhippy

Veteran
That would be great to be able to get hemp flower! Hemp Extract is so expensive, and the terpenes are changed or lost.

I do have a good extract, but I would like to try hemp flower. I have heard it tastes good. I bet its more therapeutic in some ways than full spectrum CBD hemp extracts.
we have flower here. i frequently buy it and roll "salad" joints of it mixed with good weed. i get slightly weaker smoke, allowing me to enjoy a whole joint rather than letting it die to finish later. i also get the benefits of better sleep from the CBD alleviating my arthritis pain & neuropathy in my feet. a friend grew some three years back that tasted great, i rolled it up by itself sometimes. there ARE exceptions, some types taste like sawdust if smoked...:confused:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HB 1079 latest version--Passed house going to Senate

Synopsis: Low THC hemp extract. Defines "work in progress hemp
extract" for purposes of the statute concerning industrial hemp.
Provides that a licensed hemp handler may possess, manufacture, store,
transport, or sell work in progress hemp extract. Provides for purposes
of the statute concerning the adulteration or misbranding of foods, that
a food is not considered adulterated for containing low THC hemp
extract. Requires a food establishment that serves food containing low
THC hemp extract to disclose in writing to a consumer that the food
contains low THC hemp extract. Sets forth certain restrictions with
respect to the packaging of low THC hemp extract. Establishes criteria
for the analysis of low THC hemp extract, and prohibits the sale of low
THC hemp extract to a person less than 21 years of age if the low THC
hemp extract contains certain elements. Makes other changes
Effective: July 1, 2024.
Teshka, Manning, Bartels, Hatfield
January 8, 2024, read first time and referred to Committee on Commerce, Small Business
and Economic Development.
January 18, 2024, reported — Do Pass.
January 22, 2024, read second time, amended, ordered engrossed.
January 23, 2024, engrossed.
January 29, 2024, returned to second reading.
January 30, 2024, re-read second time, amended, ordered engrossed.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Latest posts

Latest posts