What's new

Dr Greenthumb - Why do you think nobody seems to grow his gear?

need4weed

Veteran
yeh it must have been more than 20 years ago lol

my personal experience

I bought from him 1999 and he had discontinued Niagara and would not sell it..

you were maybe fortunate not getting lol

..i sure had some good outdoor years with iaf and the crosses to bubba , og, diesel,chemdawg s1’s etc..

they all

finished up here in time and resembled the mom’s..

NOBODY was doing that then

..and great indoor success with bubba ,og, diesel, chemdawg,a pile of others I loved them all

when everyone was hoarding cuts back them he was one of the very first to self them..

it was so helpful back then in Canada before legalization screwed outdoor

its screwed indoor too LOL

way before all the 100’s of companies today..its so easy too jump in IG and be cool now

genetics are everywhere

in 1999 I bought Malawi and it was a true hard to grow untouched landrace ....

apparently no-one really wanted from origin landraces back then ...only dutch stuff..

I have BIG RESPECT.

I have a soft spot for the old guy and if I had a bad experience you would hear it

and that's enough from me here

I’m out
I respect him too, he's been around a loooong time for a reason. I tried his mtf and a few other strains back in Earl 2000's but fucked up the germination. I tried around 2011/12 his big purps, I grew that alongside various strains like Nepal highland from reeferman, China yunnan from ace and a Colombian gold from British hempire, I still remember the big purps to this day, and other seasoned tokers commented on it quality, says a lot really

JKD

Veteran
Lol, really, where do you get such babble from
Literally from his own blurb on his site in the strain descriptions for his first offerings of Bubba etc.
They were regs. He didn’t offer any fems at all back then.
They were made with the elite cut & males found in S1 seed - At least that’s how he advertised them at the time. This is probably late 90’s or very early 2000’s. The only outfit offering S1’s back then were 3C’s via Heavens Stairway - I ordered their Bubba S1 instead of Greenthumb’s beans - because theirs’ were fems…
And I got their Cali-O as well, which the Doc didn’t have.

But, you could just ask him about his original elite beans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rgd

Rgd

Veteran
the only outfit offering S1’s back then were 3C’s via Heavens
yes the 3 c’s were the first ones I saw to make fems when we were on CW

wonderful people..I chat with one of them daily

Reactions: JKD

hamstring

Veteran
Sounds like a few people have grown quite a few of his strains. I too have spoken to him on the phone and the first thing I would say is he does answer the phone, which is a lot more than most. He is short and sweet with his answers thats for sure.

Well its good to see people talking about the good Dr's strains. My first seeds from him were before the fems also. Its no secret my interests lie in potency first and thats what some endless sky phenos held back when you could only purchase regulars from him.

I have asked him what his most potent strain is but like most people in general he said," potency is subjective". To a certain degree I agree with that statement, but I also know what a potent strain is wether sativa or indica.

Rgd

Veteran
I am interested in his G13 and maybe someday I will be burdened with too much money again and I will send it up there to Canada eh?
I'm currently rounding up G13 crosses from Mr.nice and hazeman to do some learning about this variety...
Anywho, that's my 2 cents.
(Oh, people always want to ask me about his ECSD. I must be the only sucker that's ordered it.... I only have one going right now. It's very vigorous, b
G13 crosses from Mr.nice and hazeman<-- let us know..shanti should be closest tog13
I ordered ecsd many years ago,good stuff

personally I would order anything and everything doc has BUT the g13’s
it was a big yielder it was ok..
[haven’t not grown it for years] but not the potency what I hear g13 was.
the pre88 g13 is a lovely plant
but there is no way that was g13..its more like a tasty good potency hybrid
closest G13 was the almost puke g13 pheno of G13 Black Widow [Pacifics g13 x white widow]

the only real white out I ever had was one too many bags of Docs OHZone
if I wasn’t an experienced smoker I woulda been worried..no shit.,I waited it out
[15 minutes in a place i have seldom been]..after that i had fun lol

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Rgd
Thanks for the OHZone info.

Dr Gruber did a grow report on it and he liked its potency too. I think he gave it a 9.3 or something like that.

Dr Gruber is a test grower for Dr Green Thumb but he seems to give pretty good info on his grow diary.

midwestkid

Veteran
G13 crosses from Mr.nice and hazeman<-- let us know..shanti should be closest tog13
I ordered ecsd many years ago,good stuff

personally I would order anything and everything doc has BUT the g13’s
it was a big yielder it was ok..
[haven’t not grown it for years] but not the potency what I hear g13 was.
the pre88 g13 is a lovely plant
but there is no way that was g13..its more like a tasty good potency hybrid
closest G13 was the almost puke g13 pheno of G13 Black Widow [Pacifics g13 x white widow]

the only real white out I ever had was one too many bags of Docs OHZone
if I wasn’t an experienced smoker I woulda been worried..no shit.,I waited it out
[15 minutes in a place i have seldom been]..after that i had fun lol
i would have to agree with you on the G13 from greenthumb. ive only grown one so far but it smelled like mango and it didnt really have the potency i had read about. i honestly thought he sent me the wrong seeds on that order. BUT that was only one seed - i hope the remaining seeds spit out something different.

DNHappy

Me and a quite a few buddies chipped in and bought 3 packs of his g13. Did tons of research before buying from greenthumb everyone was pretty upset that out of 3 packs none were keepers and most packed size but little to no frost at all. Ended up trashing them all. They think he mixed up the strains. Not trying to knock him in any way as you gotta find out for yourself like we did. I heard great things about his stuff but unfortunately was not that way for us. There is a lot of better stuff at better prices than his. Old guys like me look for our high school memories so that why we try. It's up to you if it's worth it or not. Only thing I can say is try and find out. Good luck.

hamstring

Veteran
Anyone looking to grow some Dr Greenthumb should reach out to Dr Gruber, he is a test grower for Dr Green Thumb. He seems like a pretty laid back dude I think he could give some general guidance on what strains to choose from.

OleReynard

This guy is a first rate heal.
Been in business since late 90's possibly before.
Ripped some friends off a significant amount of cash, seeds he sent were shit.
I grew one of his bk mid 2000? Small lacking buzz and taste.
Treats people like assholes on the phone, no respect.
These are complaints I've heard thru the years for a looong looong time.
Good luck

oldmaninbc

I have ordered from Dr. Geenthumb a few times. The last order was Turkish Cookies it served my medical use well. I have never have spoken with him, probably because of all the negative comments regarding his attitude. His service is slow but the seeds always arrive, dark, healthy and viable. I would order again if I chose to do so.

Rgd

Veteran
this is a doc nostalgia grow grown indoors..

the best out door plant I have grown
my friend said it made full melt hash
and he got 5lbs off one plant @45 flat
I have never managed that

photo two weeks ago ,harvesting tomorrow

iaf x ecsd

IMG_6443.JPG

og kush s1

IMG_6465.JPG

with me he was polite and helpful

don't know how many people he has helped with their growing problems even when they weren’t buying

yeh whatever..

GUY-FAWKES

this is a doc nostalgia grow grown indoors..

the best out door plant I have grown
my friend said it made full melt hash
and he got 5lbs off one plant @45 flat
I have never managed that

photo two weeks ago ,harvesting tomorrow

iaf x ecsd

View attachment 18951068

og kush s1

View attachment 18951070

with me he was polite and helpful

don't know how many people he has helped with their growing problems even when they weren’t buying

yeh whatever..
Looks well nice that mate. Any updates on her ?

Rgd

Veteran
Looks well nice that mate. Any updates on her ?
it turned out basically as good as the ecsd . and sure resembled it...

what a lot of smell/resin and such a strong high

the same iaf x ecsd done outdoor finished before the end of September @45n lat

the Ogk s1 was bang on...its been years since I grew it

like mentioned .."nostallgia grow"

it was fun

GUY-FAWKES

it turned out basically as good as the ecsd . and sure resembled it...

what a lot of smell/resin and such a strong high

the same iaf x ecsd done outdoor finished before the end of September @45n lat

the Ogk s1 was bang on...its been years since I grew it

like mentioned .."nostallgia grow"

it was fun
Any pics of you previous grows with his gear . I don’t have access to the clones I used to and been eyeing up a few if his bits for a while now tbh but never pulled the trigger .
His ecsd c99 and trainwreck have all caught my eye .

sshz

Dr. Gruber and i are old buddies, but i would take everything he reviews with a grain of salt. Rarely does he knock a strain of Greenthumbs, and that's because he gets all his seeds for free. I've grown a lot of Greenthumbs stuff out over the years, most are hit or miss. His ECSD is the only one i regularly recommend to people. My last order took 7 weeks to east coast usa, i paid by money order which was NEVER cashed.

As i reported a few years ago, he tried to sell the entire seed business and genetics and wasn't able to work out a deal with anyone. There were family and health issues going on at that time, and he's no young sprout anymore.

I would surely check out Irie Seeds for sativas and Dragons Flame for indicas- you'll be consistently way happier with any of their strains. Both are smaller breeders, but working with fresher genetics of others and have a reputation growing leaps and bounds.

Last edited:

sshz

Dr. Gruber hasn't posted a new thread on RIU since April of 2023.......I know he had health issues, but the fact remains- his reviews were tainted because he got all his seeds for free, and that alone swayed his reviews a bit. I can only remember 1 slightly negative review, in all that he did. But, he's a good guy, no doubt though. Helpful to everyone that asked a question. Still, he was way more generous in giving out high scores than anyone else who grew Dr. Greenthumbs stuff.