What's new

DIY UNDER CURRENT CULTURE 5 GAL. BUCKETS

onegreenday

Veteran
nice tub at HD

nice tub at HD

very nice work,, im wondering if ya add 12 buks more per bucket you could prolly score some home depot 18-20 platic tubs,, and go that way,,nice work on those seals,,

Yah I found a black 27 gallon with yellow top for $12
20"x30" (get the heavy 'construction grade 750 lb capacity)
with the squares in the top lid. (diffuse light gets through the yellow top) whitewash the top for reflection. good for under-current; put 1-4 plants (or more small) in each

real strong tub......

itisme

Veteran
Very nice set up and that is pretty much exactly what I want. Where did you get the fitting for that overbudjet? Do you have a link?

overbudjet

Veteran
Very nice set up and that is pretty much exactly what I want. Where did you get the fitting for that overbudjet? Do you have a link?
In every hardware store .Look page 1 and you will see,sorry to being so long before anwser it i haven`t see your post before tonight
:gday:

ocddave

Parallel holes...

Parallel holes...

I was just wondering how you drill the parallel holes. You mention that there is a marque, but I could not locate it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I

Inspired333

Hey over'
Nice thread, can't believe it's still 'alive'. I'd love to see some more, are you still using this system?

I'm still collecting parts to build a 4 site UC with 5 Gal buckets. I got some 2" uniseals the other day. I also have some 2" or 1-1/2" PVC conduit adapters I could use alternatively that I know I can use (and honestly I think that route may be more safe/secure against leaks..after googleing uniseals I read some leak stories..?)

EDIT: wait what? this is long dead..

overbudjet

Veteran
Whats'up 333
Yes this tread is old (like me)but it pop-up's some time
for a 5 gal. bucket system i will not going bigger than 2'' uniseal otherwise they bend to much and start to leak.i now use a new system with 3'' uniseal some pic of it.

I

Inspired333

First - your english is good man :)

Before I forget I wanted to ask when I first saw your setup; you use ABS pipe (black stuff)? What?
When I first started researching hydro and everything I thought for sure that I read you cannot use ABS because it's for drain systems and contained some chemicals that you bad for growing/eating etc. I've lived by that since.
Is this untrue??

Also, I like your setup ^ - so much space to walk around in and access your ladies.

Thanks for the tip on uniseal size, I thought the same thing; 2 inch uniseal for a round surface bucket is probably the max i'd wanna use.
Did you use/have any issues with uniseals in your bucket setup, or did you only use the abs fittings?

I read around for tips on installing pipe through the uniseals. I don't like idea of lube other than water. So I think I'll soak in hot water. I read someone boiled them and it worked super good/easy.

Thanks man.

PS: Where'd you find the O-Ring(s) for the thread of your ABS cap in your first page? Thanks.

overbudjet

Veteran
Never heard about ABS bad for growing,no wierd things happened so far!
This setup is new never grow in ,it's a dual 4 site 20 gal. UC with 5 feet water fall for O2,room is 14'*9' 4800 watts(8*600 quantum/hortilux) .
For uniseal i have used dish soap diluted in hot water.
Never had any leak with the old abs fitting(3 years).

I

Inspired333

Thanks for the reply man.

5 foot waterfall !? -that is nuts. How are you achieving that?
(I asked ya on another thread too :/ )
What sorta pump and everything?

Peace

overbudjet

Veteran
This is my new UC system instead of having only one rez it have two, one with pump in it for mixing nute/add water(buffer)/etc, second rez is for dissolve Oxy and cooling purpose,how it's work! in pic#1 you have 2 ecoplus 1056 g/h pumping water through 3/4 pipe that go to the pic#2 second rez, they go up 5 foot and fall directly in second rez that is built for dbl purpose oxy and cooling.Pic#3 empty bucket connected to first site of the system Pic#4 bucket with titanium core and spacer in place(core is cooled by water)pic#5net pot over it if you check closely you can see cooling core below net add some volcanic rock to that and VOILA !!! Man made water fall.

I

Inspired333

Thanks for the insight OvB :)
I ..think I get it. I just don't get why there are two ecoplus pumps..are they both pumping the same solution 5 feet up and into that large ABS?

Thats huge waterfall hahaha. No airpump needed hey. Cool!

overbudjet

Veteran
When light on both pump work together "more water,more disolve oxy,better nutrients mix"At light off they work in alternation 'less heat.less wear"

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Very nice setup dude. I was in the middle of building a RDWC system like this with 4 buckets and I stopped cause I didn't have enough flex tubing to use instead of what you got there. I just say F it when I have time ill order some tubing and finish it up

Lemme ask you though this under Water culture is basically the same thing as just RDWC or different sorry if it was answered Already and I didnt see

I

Inspired333

Same thing, its still rDWC, only you're pulling water from the buckets instead of 'pushing' it to all of them.

dispicableu

@ overbudget. did you get any leak from the home made bulkhead fittings? also what size pump did you use for your 15 bucket setup?
thx

Latest posts

Latest posts