What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any bowyers?

Timj

Thank you!Thats rad!I'm excited to see your work :)
The thing Ive learned most about tillering is always take less then you think and check your progress often.Card scrapers were the best to take small amounts,for me. ;)
My draw knife,spoke shave and card scrapers have all been sharpened and are ready to work the bow blank. I left my bow blank limbs a little heavy so I'd have some practice material before I get to the critical stage of tillering. I also have another practice blank. I had tip on the bandsaw so one limb edge is under 1/2" thick. I may use it to practice on before touching my good blank. I think I can still tiller that one to a lighter draw weight.

hfm

My draw knife,spoke shave and card scrapers have all been sharpened and are ready to work the bow blank. I left my bow blank limbs a little heavy so I'd have some practice material before I get to the critical stage of tillering. I also have another practice blank. I had tip on the bandsaw so one limb edge is under 1/2" thick. I may use it to practice on before touching my good blank. I think I can still tiller that one to a lighter draw weight.
That's awesome for sure!Can't wait to see your progress :)

hfm

Strung it and it shoots ok,need to drop the shelf a half inch to an inch.Just get more of a lob with a split finger where three under it shoots great to a tad high.Lost some of the recurve to set but the reflex stayed.So the thing that wasnt getting done after firing these bows was wiping with a wet rag,so probably busted a couple from being to dry/brittle?
1000018770.jpg

Timj

Strung it and it shoots ok,need to drop the shelf a half inch to an inch.Just get more of a lob with a split finger where three under it shoots great to a tad high.Lost some of the recurve to set but the reflex stayed.So the thing that wasnt getting done after firing these bows was wiping with a wet rag,so probably busted a couple from being to dry/brittle?
View attachment 18993830
It looks like it turned out really nice. I'll get to mine once my spring garden clean up is done.

hfm

Well the other morning decided to really hunt these turkeys.Got out and was hooting around early,found some were roosted not to dang far and mostly creek sand and gravel bars to get close.Creeped in to this spot and half way up a limestone crumbled hillside,belly crawling under and through some cedar debris.

I got in close and made a few hen tree calls to wet a big dominant toms whistle.He called right back and was fidgeting up in a tree where he thought he could see everything.He flew down and started my way making a ruckus as he came.I had an arrow nocked and was ready.

My heart was thumping and jumping around as he came in I started purring with this raspy hen and shuffled some duff with my feet.Here he came one more drum and he started peering into these cedars trying to find this hen that was obviously right there.

He spun a circle drumming and I drew my arrow back touching my anchor it flew instantly off in his direction.My heart was thumping just as it flew right over his head...And he was gone,just like that...Yep I missed :( .The rest of the day I heard him around gobble, gobble, gobble, f*cktard!, or thats what I heard atleast.

Timj

Well the other morning decided to really hunt these turkeys.Got out and was hooting around early,found some were roosted not to dang far and mostly creek sand and gravel bars to get close.Creeped in to this spot and half way up a limestone crumbled hillside,belly crawling under and through some cedar debris.

I got in close and made a few hen tree calls to wet a big dominant toms whistle.He called right back and was fidgeting up in a tree where he thought he could see everything.He flew down and started my way making a ruckus as he came.I had an arrow nocked and was ready.

My heart was thumping and jumping around as he came in I started purring with this raspy hen and shuffled some duff with my feet.Here he came one more drum and he started peering into these cedars trying to find this hen that was obviously right there.

He spun a circle drumming and I drew my arrow back touching my anchor it flew instantly off in his direction.My heart was thumping just as it flew right over his head...And he was gone,just like that...Yep I missed :( .The rest of the day I heard him around gobble, gobble, gobble, f*cktard!, or thats what I heard atleast.
Cool story. Kinda sucks you missed him. I can't even get close to a turkey so you must be a skilled hunter.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
We had an old bow that my dad brought back from Papua New Guinea in the 1960s made out of bamboo with the "string" made of some kind of plant fibre. Not sure what happened to it but if I find it I will post a pic. Was fascinated by it as a kid.

I've not made a bow but my son found a youtube clip on how to make a medieval crossbow, the ones with the lever on the bottom if anyones familiar. It actually turned out really well. We are thinking of making a longbow together but finding the right wood where I am is difficult.

hfm

@Timj I have some access is all :) but appriciate your compliment.

@Chi13 thats a cool story.A wood seller link was shared in the first couple pages if you really get hard up. What kind of timber do you have in your area?Have you looked into board bows?You can pick up something from a hardware store.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
@Timj I have some access is all :) but appriciate your compliment.

@Chi13 thats a cool story.A wood seller link was shared in the first couple pages if you really get hard up. What kind of timber do you have in your area?Have you looked into board bows?You can pick up something from a hardware store.
Yes, I've checked out a hardware store but not really sure what I'm looking for? I live in Australia and most of what I read relates to timber you'd find Europe, not here, but I'm sure if I do some more reading I'll find something suitable. I could go out in the bush and use eucalypt but not sure how that would go. Our indigenous culture did not use bows, just spears for hunting so no local reference.

Timj

Yes, I've checked out a hardware store but not really sure what I'm looking for? I live in Australia and most of what I read relates to timber you'd find Europe, not here, but I'm sure if I do some more reading I'll find something suitable. I could go out in the bush and use eucalypt but not sure how that would go. Our indigenous culture did not use bows, just spears for hunting so no local reference.
From what I've read fruit woods and nut woods work well.

Timj

I tillered my practice walnut flat bow tonight. I ended up with 35#'s draw weight at 28". So I'll need to slow down and take less off my good blank when I start on that. I also made the bow string. But, I must have twisted the strings in the wrong direction at some point. The string works it just doesn't look pretty. Using Hunt Primitive's string making method. I also notice my practice bow seems to have taken a set toward the belly. Hopefully that flattens back out.

hfm

@Chi13 what he said for sure

@Timj I like huntprimitive's content.Sounds like youre figuring it out ;)
I hadn't made a string yet,twisted a lot of rawhide,but usually three to four strand with a couple jigs one of which hand cranks.They were great ropes,just had to throw them in a water trough when new for 20-30 minutes before using and keep them (greased).I bet the next one will be better :)

Timj

@Chi13 what he said for sure

@Timj I like huntprimitive's content.Sounds like youre figuring it out ;)
I hadn't made a string yet,twisted a lot of rawhide,but usually three to four strand with a couple jigs one of which hand cranks.They were great ropes,just had to throw them in a water trough when new for 20-30 minutes before using and keep them (greased).I bet the next one will be better :)
I'm trying. My first attempt came undone. This one has held up so far. But, I'll make another one or a few until I feel comfortable shooting an arrow with it.

hfm

There are some neat hardwoods in AU,you can also buy oak,hickory,etc..board from wood people in AU but its expensive.I would check out what is local maybe bluegum,ironbark?One has a neat grain that looks like it might be tough as nails ;)