What's new

Any bowyers?

hfm

i buy the Primitive Archery mags regularly. some of those guys have dug up osage fence posts about a century old and made good bows from them. i can't WAIT...
Id love to see what you come up with also!! ;)
Please share any you want to show :)
Oh that scaper showed and its from austria and beautiful!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
damned hard to beat european steel, the older the better. :good: i buy most tools these days in antique stores and flea markets...

hfm

Post oak
1000018425.jpg
1000018426.jpg
1000018427.jpg
1000018428.jpg
1000018429.jpg
1000018432.jpg

SolarLogos

Here are a couple I made for my kids when they were 5 and 8 years old. These are brother and sister bows, both from the same red oak tree. Bamboo backed from some bamboo I found growing. I used an endless knot loop making the strings. The recurve is a girls bow, tillered to 25 lbs pull and the other 35 lbs. They were initially 70 and 85 lbs, it was a lot of work tillering it down that far.
Not a very good artist, but I always put our family crest on the bows I made.
BOWS!.JPG
Bows.JPG
BOWS@.JPG
bows3.JPG

armedoldhippy

Veteran
some really nice looking bows shown here, thanks! i wish i had gotten onto the "primitive" side about 40 years earlier than i did. :oops::bow::good:

hfm

Here are a couple I made for my kids when they were 5 and 8 years old. These are brother and sister bows, both from the same red oak tree. Bamboo backed from some bamboo I found growing. I used an endless knot loop making the strings. The recurve is a girls bow, tillered to 25 lbs pull and the other 35 lbs. They were initially 70 and 85 lbs, it was a lot of work tillering it down that far.
Not a very good artist, but I always put our family crest on the bows I made. View attachment 18980866 View attachment 18980867 View attachment 18980868 View attachment 18980869
Those are finished well!Good job! Do your kids shoot alot?Do you make any for yourself?

acespicoli

Maybe some of this helps ?
I have some much better video try to upload it somewhere

Last edited:

Timj

That's a pretty elaborate process. Very cool. I'll stick with something basic myself and possibly advance if I don't impale myself while tillering my first self bow.

hfm

Thank you for sharing :)
I will check those out for sure ;)
I appriciate you!

Latest posts

Latest posts