What's new

Alec Baldwin to be charged with involuntary manslaughter over “Rust” death

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just breaking that the DA in New Mexico has decided theirs enough evidence to charge Mr Baldwin and others over the shooting and death of a film worker on set of the Western movie,,,,
A extra over qtr of a million dollars was provided to the DA to investigate throughly,,,
expect an ex POTUS is gonna be quiet happy that Baldwin is being held to account on this matter,,,s2

brickweeder

if I were an actor and handed a prop gun, I'm still going to check the chamber and mag/cylinder, and my finger is not going to be on the trigger. If a round is chambered, I'm going to take it out to confirm it is a blank.

But even if he is head honcho and didn't check the chamber, there is a person that was responsible for getting the prop gun, ordering blanks, and making sure it was properly set up for the scene....I doubt that baldwin was that person....whoever it was, that person is responsible in my book.

Last edited:

Drunken Buddha

28 year-old Brandon Lee died similarly from a dummy bullet.

Wikipedia:

"On March 31, 1993, Lee was filming a scene for the film The Crow in which his character is shot and killed by thugs.[99] In the scene, Lee's character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped, and a thug played by actor Michael Massee fires a Smith & Wesson Model 629 .44 Magnum revolver at Lee's character as he walks into the room.[100]

In the film shoot preceding the fatal scene, the gun that was used as a prop (a real revolver) was loaded with improperly made dummy rounds, improvised from live cartridges that had the powder charges removed by the special effects crew, so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunition. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges, and at some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired. Although there were no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck—a dangerous condition known as a squib load.

During the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank's propellant and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.[101][102]"

brickweeder

so alec fired a gun with a blank but there was a bullet stuck in the barrel from a previous primer only firing?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No live ammo is allowed ever on a set!!!.. The bullet fired was real.

Real guns on movie sets are common. Live ammo is never allowed on any set. Baldwin was also the Producer, I think this might bite him. Most of the blame should go to the prop/Armory lady and the guy who handed Baldwin the gun and told him the gun was cold. He is an actor doing a scene. It's not their responsibility to check if the ammo is live. To be honest, does Bladwin know how to tell the difference between live ammo and blanks? Blanks can either have a wad cap or be crimped. Make no mistake a blank can still be lethal at close range. Never point a gun at a person.

There were complaints about safety on this project. Someone brought live rounds on site. They were probably firing live rounds for fun. Someone put the gun back with live rounds left in the gun. The bullet that killed Halyna also struck another person.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if I were an actor handed a prop gun, I'm still going to check the chamber and mag/cylinder, and my finger is not going to be on the trigger. If a round is chambered, I'm going to take it out to confirm it is a blank.

But even if he is head honcho and didn't check the chamber, there is a person that was responsible for getting the prop gun, ordering blanks, and making sure it was properly set up for the scene....I doubt that baldwin was that person....whoever it was, that person is responsible in my book.
every movie using firearms of any sort has am armorer on the set, responsible for checking the weapons. that said, if i was the one pulling the trigger, i'd damn sure check it myself as well, and not care a bit if the armorer got mad because i didn't take their word for it. someone (maybe several someones) got lazy...now there's hell to pay...

FranJan

I haven't been following this case that close but I've been waiting for this.

I think Baldwin will get off on the manslaughter charge and I'm sure ignorance of guns and deflecting responsibilities will be part of his defense. The armorer is fucked and unless she's got the $$$ to pay for a pro to rip apart the AD's testimony/DA's case she might as well take what they're gonna offer her. And as for that DA this is a glamour case and when your office is given extra money, you gotta bring some charges. Modern DA's are such pieces of garbage I wouldn't believe a word of her case. Like the saying goes, "A DA can indict a ham sandwich". Alec Baldwin may be a dick but they're gonna have to get a bunch of people saying he was drunk and waving the gun around. In other words proving indifference to human life ain't gonna be that simple for the state because 1 person trying to save their own ass is not a truly convincing witness in a courtroom, especially after a high-powered defence lawyer gets through with him.

IDK who Robert King is but I think he may have put it best:
“To charge Alec Baldwin as a producer is one thing, but to charge him as an actor seems to misunderstand the chain of responsibility on a movie set. If you’re charging the actor, you should be charging the director, all producers, prop master, many others. The fact the DA didn’t seems to suggest she’s trying to make a name for herself.”

This is a fucking tragedy, a person is dead and people's lives are shattered. Does that little turd DA think that piling her "no one is above the law" BS is gonna bring the dead back to life? Fix damaged people? Think it will stop mistakes/ignorance by sicking the law on these few people. I don't think she truly understands the circus Sante Fe has unleashed and she's probably gonna be saying some stoopid statements about Alec's aquittal in about three, two, ...........

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
ONE!
i had a friend who worked on these things as a gun wrangler
he has an extensive background in firearms of all types
there is now way a hot gun should have been on the set and as others have posited it comes down to the finger on the trigger
ultimately it comes down to where does the buck stop
plus this poor lady is shot dead

...great post franjan

eta: posting this in poor taste
that gun clear alex?
-oh yeah sure pops...
dick shot.gif

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
as others have posited it comes down to the finger on the trigger.
more than enough blame to go around on this. whoever brought a real firearm, whoever brought live ammo, whoever's job it was to clear weapons on the set, and the "finger on the trigger" as well. they all played a role, but "that's not my job" won't be a good look. you have the damn gun in your hand, you are pulling the trigger...that MAKES it -your- job.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Do each of you check your car door hinges every time you get into your car? Of course not. Because you get into your car a zillion times in your lifetime.

Probably the way Alec felt with the gun. I'll bet he has shot a Hollywood gun a bazillion times in all his movies. As many times as you and I get into our cars.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong. I didn't read the details. But, a gun in my hands or your hands is a deadly weapon and we treat it that way. To Hollywood actors, a gun is like our car door. In and out a zillion times.

I don't check the hinges on my car door every time I open it to determine if the hinges are safe. If someone gets into my car and the hinge breaks and falls on their foot and kills them, am I a man-slaughterer? If I am opening the door for them, am I more a man-slaugterer because my hand was on the door handle?

Just saying..... a gun to an actor is not the same as a gun to you and me. It's NOT a deadly weapon to them. It's a prop. Just like a car door.

Just another perspective.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A gun on a movie set is treated differently by Actors. Any Actor who uses gun props don't normally check them as they don't have a clue.

I agree, Baldwin was a dumbass for doing those interviews. He lied about not pulling the trigger. Being the producer also makes him vulnerable.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
more than enough blame to go around on this. whoever brought a real firearm, whoever brought live ammo, whoever's job it was to clear weapons on the set, and the "finger on the trigger" as well. they all played a role, but "that's not my job" won't be a good look. you have the damn gun in your hand, you are pulling the trigger...that MAKES it -your- job.
Accountability has been tossed out the window along with common sense.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
Do each of you check your car door hinges every time you get into your car? Of course not. Because you get into your car a zillion times in your lifetime.

Probably the way Alec felt with the gun. I'll bet he has shot a Hollywood gun a bazillion times in all his movies. As many times as you and I get into our cars.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong. I didn't read the details. But, a gun in my hands or your hands is a deadly weapon and we treat it that way. To Hollywood actors, a gun is like our car door. In and out a zillion times.

I don't check the hinges on my car door every time I open it to determine if the hinges are safe. If someone gets into my car and the hinge breaks and falls on their foot and kills them, am I a man-slaughterer? If I am opening the door for them, am I more a man-slaugterer because my hand was on the door handle?

Just saying..... a gun to an actor is not the same as a gun to you and me. It's NOT a deadly weapon to them. It's a prop. Just like a car door.

Just another perspective.
a gun is orders of magnitude more dangerous that a car door (unless there are all these car door deaths i dont know about) and should always be treated as such
these arent toy guns they use on most sets, they are real guns
i think he might be able to get off on a man slaughter charge unless they can prove intent
it still sux that this lady was jsut doing her job and got shot because of someone else carelessness

there will most likely be civil suits too, but you can just throw a bunch of money at those, so its cool man

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts