What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hella's 35 gal Rubbermaid grow (336w CFL, Bagseed) *1st Grow*

Hella THC

Well, the time has arrived!! :woohoo:

I finally got my first grow started last night. Allow me to give you all the details...

GROW BOX
  • (2) 35 gallon Rubbermaid tubs
  • Sunleaves Ultraflect mylar on the inside
  • Weather stripping around the edges (this stuff makes a helluva good seal!)
VENTILATION
  • (1) 4" PVC "T" connector
  • 8" x 8" Darkroom Louver
  • S&P TD-100x centerfugial fan (~139 CFM) **NOT PICTURED**
LIGHTING
  • (8) 42w CFL (Currently a mix of warm/bright white)
  • Plugged into power strips with socket to outlet adapters and "Y" fixtures
SOIL
  • Fox Farm Ocean Forest (1 bag)
  • 20% Perlite per gallon of soil
  • Dolomite Lime at 1/2 Tbsp per gallon
SEEDS
  • Germing (19) Unknown bagseed (Possibly a White Widow x BC God Bud)
GROW METHOD
  • Depending on how many germinate, I plan on doing a SOG style with light training and topping. Fewer plants will result in a heavy LST for increased yield
NUTRIENTS
  • GH - General Organics line *NEW* including...
  • BioThrive Grow
  • BioThrive Bloom
  • Bio Weed
  • Bio Root
  • CaMg+

I will be trying to make frequent updates to this thread in oder to get help from all of my friends here, as well as to report on any successes or failures. :1help: Sorry for the shitty pictures. I'm working with only a camera phone at the moment. That will soon change, however.

Enjoy,

- Hella

Hella THC

Well, seeds are soaking in cups of water right now. I have two different "batches" going. The seeds were from the same strain but different bags, and I'm suspecting they were different phenos. The first bag was much better than the second, but the seeds from the second appear to be more viable. We will see when they show their tails though.

The plan today is to see their tails and get them into the soil.

If you folks have any questions or comments, please leave them. This should be a ton of fun!

Regards,

- Hella

zenoonez

Veteran
Looks nice, can you give us some shots of the inside of your tub, like closeups of your light setup and wiring and perhaps some shots of your ventilation? Also what temp are your lights on the K scale? I have been looking at cfls recently in research for my first grow so I will be sure to keep an eye on this. Looking good so far :) Oh and one final question, do the two rubbermaids have some sort of rubber lining between them to prevent light from bleeding through?

Hella THC

Looks nice, can you give us some shots of the inside of your tub, like closeups of your light setup and wiring and perhaps some shots of your ventilation? Also what temp are your lights on the K scale? I have been looking at cfls recently in research for my first grow so I will be sure to keep an eye on this. Looking good so far :) Oh and one final question, do the two rubbermaids have some sort of rubber lining between them to prevent light from bleeding through?
zenoonez- Hey! :wave: Thanks for stopping by! I'll try and get some pics later today of the lighting and ventilation. The only issue right now is I'm still waiting for my fan to arrive in the mail. It should be today or Monday so there's not much to see right now as far as that goes. I'll be adding a carbon scrubber in a few weeks once things get stinky as well.

To be honest, I'd have to check the packaging again on those CFLs to get the K rating. I will check for sure though; I'm slightly baked at the moment and there have been so many numbers running through my head that I can't pin point the right ones. I still have yet to get ALL the lights I want to use, but the seeds haven't even sprouted yet, and considering I'm working on a limited budget, I'm collecting things as I need them.

And yes, there is weather stripping around the edges of the rubs to make a NICE seal, and to keep the light in/out. :joint:

zenoonez

Veteran
zenoonez- Hey! :wave: Thanks for stopping by! I'll try and get some pics later today of the lighting and ventilation. The only issue right now is I'm still waiting for my fan to arrive in the mail. It should be today or Monday so there's not much to see right now as far as that goes. I'll be adding a carbon scrubber in a few weeks once things get stinky as well.

To be honest, I'd have to check the packaging again on those CFLs to get the K rating. I will check for sure though; I'm slightly baked at the moment and there have been so many numbers running through my head that I can't pin point the right ones. I still have yet to get ALL the lights I want to use, but the seeds haven't even sprouted yet, and considering I'm working on a limited budget, I'm collecting things as I need them.

And yes, there is weather stripping around the edges of the rubs to make a NICE seal, and to keep the light in/out. :joint:

No rush, I will be the same way when I get mine together, a part here a part there. And don't worry about the K rating I was just wondering, you can get to it when you get to it, its not like this will be over in a week ya know :) Good to hear on the weather stripping, are you using some sort of bolts or something to keep the rubermaids together? Another question, you said you are sprouting two sets of bagseed one was a better smoke than the other, do you plan on keeping the plants separated to identify one better group of plants to narrow down and interbreed or are you just going to grow them out and flower them without selecting moms and all that sort?

Hella THC

No rush, I will be the same way when I get mine together, a part here a part there. And don't worry about the K rating I was just wondering, you can get to it when you get to it, its not like this will be over in a week ya know :) Good to hear on the weather stripping, are you using some sort of bolts or something to keep the rubermaids together? Another question, you said you are sprouting two sets of bagseed one was a better smoke than the other, do you plan on keeping the plants separated to identify one better group of plants to narrow down and interbreed or are you just going to grow them out and flower them without selecting moms and all that sort?
:D Actually, no bolts are needed to hold them together. I was blown away with the seal the weather stripping creates. I can literally lift up on the top box, and the bottom one comes right up with it! I can push the whole unit across the carpeted floor without them separating. It's ROCK solid, and I don't think I'll have a need for additional holding. Time will tell though. :joint:

Regarding the seeds, yes, they are separated and will be labeled when they are planted. Unless I get a super winner when this is all done, I won't be making an attempt to save these genetics. I simply don't have the space yet to keep mothers and clones. I will within another 3 months though, and then I will get a perpetual started, and use this set up as a veg box :woohoo: If I get anything amazing, I will attempt a re-veg, but I'm not the biggest fan of that.

zenoonez

Veteran
:D Actually, no bolts are needed to hold them together. I was blown away with the seal the weather stripping creates. I can literally lift up on the top box, and the bottom one comes right up with it! I can push the whole unit across the carpeted floor without them separating. It's ROCK solid, and I don't think I'll have a need for additional holding. Time will tell though. :joint:

Regarding the seeds, yes, they are separated and will be labeled when they are planted. Unless I get a super winner when this is all done, I won't be making an attempt to save these genetics. I simply don't have the space yet to keep mothers and clones. I will within another 3 months though, and then I will get a perpetual started, and use this set up as a veg box :woohoo: If I get anything amazing, I will attempt a re-veg, but I'm not the biggest fan of that.

I have heard mixed results from people reveging. Some people I have talked to swear that if you reveg you will get twice as many tops with half the work and that they grow like weeds because of the established rootmass. Other people tell me they can't get a reveg to live to save their lives. But hey if you find a winner no doubt it might be worth trying to save her. Thats cool about the weather stripping working to seal them, never thought it would work that well. Well, like I said, I have pulled up my seat, hopefully we can see some popped seeds soon :)

Peace

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Woooooooooo :woohoo: My only criticism is that there's just a pic of two stacked rubbermaids and it's not stimulating enough. I wanna see bolts in holes if ya know what I'm sayin' :D Good work bro.

virago420

Woooooooooo :woohoo: My only criticism is that there's just a pic of two stacked rubbermaids and it's not stimulating enough. I wanna see bolts in holes if ya know what I'm sayin' :D Good work bro.

:yeahthats Looking good man cant wait to see those boxes fill up. Now lets see those pics! Peace

Hella THC

Good to see ya here, Scrubninja! I'm always a fan of your work.

Virago, thanks to you as well. You're always welcome in Hella's neighborhood. Get comfy.

Well, sorry to disappoint, but I wasn't able to get any more pictures tonight :( Tomorrow will be a different story though. The fan should be coming in the mail Monday or Tuesday, thank God. It was hot as hell today and I temped the box with lights on and it rang in at a balmy 93 F! Keep in mind though that I have nothing sucking the air out yet, and considering the ambient temp was 84 F, once I get the fan installed, it should temp out very nicely! ~10 degrees above ambient with NO air circulation is pretty decent IMO.

The seeds will go into pots tomorrow night, and then into the box they go! I should have an interim solution for the ventilation by then.

Hella THC

That's it, you asked for it. I'm going full frontal assault on your visual senses with an ass load of pictures tonight! I really need to get a digital camera...

Nice looking box, can you post some pics of the box itself?

Would love to see what it looks like inside even without the plants.

Hella THC

**DUPDATE w/ PICTURES**

**DUPDATE w/ PICTURES**

**UPDATE**

Well, the seeds are looking great :yes: I decided not to plant them tonight. I'm going to give them another day to germ. I moved them from the glasses into a paper towel and into a zip-loc and placed them on a heating pad set to low. I was hesitant to try the paper towel technique because I've heard bad things. I know the following picture is blurry, but you can see how much they have enjoyed this environment today.

These are the bag seed #2. It's hard to see, but if the picture was in focus, you could see that all of these have germinated and have tails :woohoo: I didn't take a pic of the bag seed #1 because they looked so peaceful sleeping, I didn't want to disturb them :D

PICTURES

Many of you have been asking for more pictures of the box itself. So I'm happy to provide those for you now :joint:

For right now, I have (4) 42w CFL (Warm color) and (2) 23w CFL (Bright White) I will increase to 8 - 42w during flowering.

Those pots will all be full tomorrow night! Hope you all enjoyed a peak into what I've been working on lately! See you all right here, very very soon! :D

Best,

- Hella

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hey Hella thanks for the por.... I mean pics! Can I ask how a commercial light trap actually works? Is it the same louver principle as my diy design? It looks like it would be but I've never seen one close up.

Is the pvc T piece for a light trap, until you fit a filter?

Damn, you even got a clean kitchen. You are on top of your game bro! :woohoo: