What's new

Punto rojo selection and repro

arbac

oldcoolsativa, this other punto rojo also thinned the leaflets of its leaves quite a bit, the plant was coiled in a spiral to control its height and force better branching. This one and the one I showed before are the two with the thinnest leaves. I have three with finer leaves, I hope the last fine leaf that remains to be sexed is male. I have seven sexed female plants and I have 3 left to sex. I hope I have males. or I will not be able to reproduce the thin-leaf phenuses.
IMG_20240202_114032.jpg
IMG_20240202_113944.jpg
IMG_20240202_113834.jpg

arbac

This female is the most beautiful, when rubbing its stems it smells like pine/lemon mint although its aroma is quite mild. It reminds me of other red point I've had before, the rolled red point also has pine/mint but is more fruity from the stems than pine/mint. There is a half-giant pheno that smells very fruity.
IMG_20240125_192345.jpg

arbac

I was trying to make a small repro of Red Point CBG f3, they have already sexed 7 females, I have 3 left to sex, it is possible that I will run out of males, it is a shame there were leaf phenotypes with a very characteristic appearance of red point.
It's not as big a pepro as Oldcoolsativa's big repro, but I've gotten some interesting phenotypes. If you had a pollen of the male 19 that you said had similar leaves.

IMG_20240203_205521~2.jpg
IMG_20240203_203932.jpg
IMG_20240203_205915.jpg
IMG_20240203_205753.jpg
IMG_20240203_204725.jpg
IMG_20240203_203902.jpg
IMG_20240203_204033.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240203_204023.jpg
    IMG_20240203_204023.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 34

OldCoolSativa

First, the bad news:
  1. I did a poor job growing and finishing the eight punto rojo and two NH x THH plants in the tent. Although they were doing pretty well at eight weeks, they took a turn for the worse from there. I'm not sure whether it was the lights, the soil, too much or too little water or nutes, the temperature, the VPD, or some combination of the above. I am certain a contributing factor was that I was out of town for a total of four weeks between weeks 8 and 15, and that some of the plants were over-watered while others were under-watered during that time as I tried to dial in an automated irrigation system.

The result is that all the plants finished much earlier than I expected them to. I harvested all the punto rojo females at only 15 weeks. Amazingly, I harvested the two NH x THH plants at 10 weeks, and I know they should've gone at least 14 weeks. Despite that the smoke is still good.

2. I lost all the clones. The aquarium pump that I used in my flood/ebb setup died one of those weeks when I was out of town and I came home to shriveled up plants. So it goes.

3. PR19, the feral-looking male that I was most interested in progeny testing, may have been sterile. Either that or the pollen I used for the 1:1 pairings in to the females in the tent was not viable, or maybe it was too clumpy; I'm not sure. Hopefully, his is only a problem with the 1:1 pairings; PR19 was alive, healthy and making lots of pollen outdoors, so the seeds from the seed plants (an from the NH x THH outdoor plants) should have good numbers of PR19 progeny, I just won't know which seeds those are. This picture, taken as I'm harvesting seeds, tells the story.
PR seeds 1-to-1 pairings.jpg

The good news: There are some very good effects and aromas coming from these plants. More updates soon.

OldCoolSativa

Lucky 13

Now, having lowered expectations a bit, I'll start to dole out some pics and thoughts on these punto rojo females that were harvested at 15 weeks.

After line drying in my basement for a couple weeks, I started collecting the seeds and getting the buds into jars. I'll make some ice hash with the shake from the buds that were seeded. I'm 3/4 way through the plants now (#1 through #20), and it's pretty clear that at least one of these plants is an excellent representation of the quality of effect that I'm looking for in a specimen Colombian sativa. It's potent and electric, but not overwhelmingly so. The high is energizing and up, up, up. Soaring yet focused. I thought I had some audible hallucinations, but they were enhancements. The duration is a solid four hours, It doesn't seem to have a ceiling, and the comedown wasn't draggy at all. The high is comparable to a really good haze, only less confused and less draggy on the comedown. Happy weed. The aroma into the jar was an intoxicating blend of piney-lemon soap with an earthy, woody background. The flavor is TBD until it cures a bit, but after only a couple days of curing, I can begin to taste that classic Colombian flavor come through. .

I'm not surprised that this plant stood out from her sisters by having the wispiest, most fenotrigo-dominant bud structure, and most feral appearance. Nor am I surprised that she was also the winner of the skinny first-leaf contest. I think the effects from this plant, selected from a pool of 40 seeds, justifies using leaf morphology and fenotrigo structure among primary selection criteria to breed marijuana back to the highs we experienced in the 1970s from feral looking plants grown in the tropics and subtropics.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce the current front runner and likely winner from this grow, Punto Rojo #13. She turned dark crimson, almost black, a couple weeks before harvest. If I hadn't lost the clones I definitely would've run her again, but I have a good amount of 1:1 pairing seed from her.

PR13 F105.jpg

PR13 cola2 F105.jpg

PR13 dried buds.jpg

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Congrats on your journey, Mr. @OldCoolSativa
I'm starting a pheno hunt with some (not so wild for a while) sativa from Paraguay. Till 10 years ago, I've found some real landrace in that seeds. Now its hybridized at least once, which is not a big deal, the plant never passed through pro hands, it was a job from local farmers along with cartel people in open fields, natural pollination or self inbreeding. In open fields, that plant reaches 3 meters, flowering through 14–16 weeks and has been grown there for at least 50 years, according to several investigations from journalists and polices from at least 3 countries + USA illegal surveillance (wiki leak docs).
Tough journey for years. Still have short space and resources but I'd like to drop a cent like you.
Thanks for your registers on your journey.

OldCoolSativa

Friends, I tell you, @RingtailCanyon can pick the Colombian winners right out of the gate. I think he and I select for the most feral looking plants. And yes, PR 12 is a worthy runner up to PR 13. She was the most resinous plant in the tent, and also had a pronounced tendency toward the airy, viny, fenotrigo bud structure. The first two puffs of the day lasts for about 3.5 hours, and I find it easy to get motivated to get up and do things when I've been smoking it. Yield was much better than PR 13. Flavors are developing after only a couple weeks in the jar, so I'll hold off reviewing that for a bit, but I can tell you that I really like these classic sativa effects from this batch of punto rojo selections.

PR 12 at harvest (15 weeks)
PR12 F105.jpg

PR12 cola2 F105.jpg

PR 12 dried bud.jpg

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
All the seeds have been cleaned, thoroughly dried, sorted, labeled and stored safely in the freezer. Here are the 1:1 pairings that I ended up with.

View attachment 18969131
Are you growing any of your Punto Dorado's? I have two females at 18 weeks of flower, buds are small and not much resin, smells like Colombian. How long do they go for you?

OldCoolSativa

Are you growing any of your Punto Dorado's? I have two females at 18 weeks of flower, buds are small and not much resin, smells like Colombian. How long do they go for you?
Punto dorado seeds are next in the que, after some PR13 x PR19 and PR23 x Nanda Davi that I'm getting ready to pop. My longest-legged BX to the 1978 Colombian male was 21 weeks as I recall. Let me know if you get the laughing-gas high off of those girls!

IndicaFarmer

As of mid August, plants #20 and 21 still haven't shown any preflower structures. They are the top 5% of this grow by that metric. I'm confident their 95th percentile status will also be reflected in the flowering duration and in the quality of the effect, but there's only one way to prove it. I've had my eye on both since first leaves, as they have "the look." The final results will be in around April 2024.

#20 and #21 are the 95th percentile in late preflower development.

View attachment 18877979

#20 and #21 - potential champions

View attachment 18877980

View attachment 18877981
i always wonder how people get them so shiny, the leaves in later maturation before flower. is it having enough silica?