What's new

Insane seed posse, cantaloupe skunk

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From sierraskunks's post, "I grew out Ohsogreens aka isp stuff and it was crap!!! I traded him beans years ago. Not only has he ripped me off with his crap beans but he is now selling my hard work as his own. His chemdawgDbx3 is really chem4BX3 made by ME. I told him exactly how i started these beans and he changed up the story ever so slightly.
"

Say, that same site before becoming defunct around 2009, almost same story. I bought a few strains from Insane Seed Posse. Variable success. Two strains were great, 2 strains...well lack luster or did not germinate.

And I do believe they used someone else's genetics claiming as their own...one of BOG's strains, I'm almost certain.

Hope those growing have better luck/results. Realize ISP still selling in Canada/elsewhere. Wouldn't buy from them, but that just my experience.

Jhhnn

Veteran
From sierraskunks's post, "I grew out Ohsogreens aka isp stuff and it was crap!!! I traded him beans years ago. Not only has he ripped me off with his crap beans but he is now selling my hard work as his own. His chemdawgDbx3 is really chem4BX3 made by ME. I told him exactly how i started these beans and he changed up the story ever so slightly.
"

Say, that same site before becoming defunct around 2009, almost same story. I bought a few strains from Insane Seed Posse. Variable success. Two strains were great, 2 strains...well lack luster or did not germinate.

And I do believe they used someone else's genetics claiming as their own...one of BOG's strains, I'm almost certain.

Hope those growing have better luck/results. Realize ISP still selling in Canada/elsewhere. Wouldn't buy from them, but that just my experience.

Meh. I'm not interested in the pissing matches, just the herb. I just try to take people at their word, particularly when they deliver the goods. Hell- I wasn't there, so there's no reason to believe any of 'em about the real & imagined misdeeds, misunderstandings & vendettas. I have no stake in that. The only real proof I have about any of it is in the beans- are they honest with me?

The ISP guys don't claim to have originated this strain but rather to have perpetuated it & worked with it for a long time. So far, it's as they claim- vigorous growth & flowering w/ low odor. If the effect matches the claims, I'll be entirely pleased & won't be afraid to say so.

I'm drawn to unusual old school genetics. I like the Dutch Skunks so I was curious about this stuff, supposedly a whole different branch of the Mendocino Skunk family. I'm also interesting in finding a line that I really like that can be perpetuated in seed form so I figure the best place to begin is with supposedly stable lines in the first place.

M.R.GT

Veteran
Hey Jhhnn

Those skunk are rocking on!!

Sounds like a bunch of dram going on around these. No surprise there.

Im with ya brother, screw the drama and let the plant do the talking.

Who cares, who or how as long as they kick ass!!

Peace
GT

Jhhnn

Veteran
Jhhnn those look real nice. I always get a really good yield off these. Looks like you're going to also.

Monster colas on the larger pheno. Large side buds starting to flop all over the place. I'll post more pics as harvest draws near. What's your experience wrt flowering time? the ISP claims 8-9 weeks. I'm at the end of week 7 w/ no discoloration of pistils at all. Still flowering strongly w/ some foxtailing on a couple of them. Seems like they might want to go longer... I'll check the trichomes at 30x in 2 weeks before I chop anything.

OneStonedPony

Jhhnn, IME they'll look like they can keep going, and going, and going. Except for the more Indica dominant ones (they're completely done at 7 1/2 to 8 weeks). At 6 to 6 1/2 weeks of flowering I cut out all nitrogen in my feed of the taller phenos. IME if you can get them to start draining the lower fans of nitrogen they'll finish faster (the trade off is a little less yield). I cut mine at 8 to 9 weeks. The high seems best to me there. Maybe you should cut some every few days (just little samples) tag em' and see what you like best after they dry a week. A short cure intensifies the flavor. Hope that helps.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Jhhnn, IME they'll look like they can keep going, and going, and going. Except for the more Indica dominant ones (they're completely done at 7 1/2 to 8 weeks). At 6 to 6 1/2 weeks of flowering I cut out all nitrogen in my feed of the taller phenos. IME if you can get them to start draining the lower fans of nitrogen they'll finish faster (the trade off is a little less yield). I cut mine at 8 to 9 weeks. The high seems best to me there. Maybe you should cut some every few days (just little samples) tag em' and see what you like best after they dry a week. A short cure intensifies the flavor. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. There's no cutting off nutrients in this organic soil mix, I'm afraid. On closer examination this morning, there are a very few discolored pistils here & there. The largest specimens are maybe showing early signs of senescence w/ fans going to a lighter shade of green.

Curing? I'm a big believer, go to some lengths to do it well, basically following simon's method. A good cure makes any weed better.

Got high w/ the neighbors a few days back. She pulled out a pre-roll from a nearby shop that was surprisingly potent but tasted like shit. I took a couple of puffs just to be polite, but if my stuff tasted like that I'd quit growing. If it all tasted like that, I might quit the stuff altogether.

OneStonedPony

Jhhnn, I hear you on the soil mix. I've gotten to where I make my soil mix less nutrient rich so I can control the feeding towards the end better. I've also been dabbling in coco and soil combo mixes. Did you harvest those yet ?

Jhhnn

Veteran
Jhhnn, I hear you on the soil mix. I've gotten to where I make my soil mix less nutrient rich so I can control the feeding towards the end better. I've also been dabbling in coco and soil combo mixes. Did you harvest those yet ?

Tomorrow is the day. I'll post pics.

I've been going the other way wrt soil- get the right stuff in it from the start & the plants will take what they need, use blumats, add some ewc tea occasionally.

Dunno how it'll smoke, but growth & flowering have exceeded expectations, to put it mildly.

SoufLondon

Hello Jhhnn,

wishing you a successful & bountiful harvest :D

I love the look of your plants, love those big colas!

OneStonedPony

Jhhnn, I figured you where about there. From the looks of those last few pics, it's safe to say your harvest is going to be bountiful. The scissor hash from this strain is really nice. More pics coming, that's cool.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I harvested & trimmed yesterday & the day before. My help magically failed to appear.

It takes awhile because of the method. I like to do it all in one pass while it's fresh & green. It's easier to deal with. Cut off some branches, strip off the fans & larger leaves into a bucket, grade, trim & cut down the buds over a big stainless bowl to a fairly even size for drying. Each plant is labeled, goes into its own polyester mesh bag in a hanging mesh drying rack. Chop up the stems into small pieces, put that & the leaves into the compost tumbler. The popcorn & trim are dried in their own bags to go to an oil making medical charity.

I'll turn the bags & keep close track over the next several days, do some back & forth in jars until I get 60-65% RH in the jars, toss a large boveda pack in each & stash it all in the crawlspace for a month.

It does get fragrant towards the end of flowering & during harvest, more sweet than skunky. for my purposes, it's easy to trim because the leaf petioles separate cleanly & easily from the stems. I pluck the larger ones, shear the buds w/ scissors. Def 2 phenos as described- one is fairly slender & not terribly productive, the other is slightly taller & much more robust w/ massive bud structure yielding twice as much per plant. Some of those dred at the top which can be seen in my pics album. This is my best yield yet & a very trouble free grow w/ the new soil mix & blumats.

If it smokes as well as it grows, I'll be in hog heaven.

picture.php

OneStonedPony

^^^ yep, they're sticky and easy to grow. My Uncle Mike says the smoke is read deal Old Skool. I know I sure like it, both the flavor and the high.

Jhhnn

Veteran
It's been drying, went into jars today to cure. Yield isn't what I thought it would be- 506G+ 111G of close trim & popcorn. Shrinkage. I had much the same happen w/ another old school strain, Yumbolt. Still, I'm not complaining. It's more than enough for my purposes.

I crowded them this grow, 8 plants, flowered a little late, which led to more popcorn & large differences in yield plant to plant. The bigger girls were pushy. The largest yielded 116G & 94G, the smallest 43G & 33G. I'll stick w/ 6 flowering from now on.

I'll come back in a few weeks to talk about how it smokes.

Drink no wine before its time, right?

M.R.GT

Veteran
Not bad numbers brother. Should keep you and the wife happy for sometime!!

Looking forward to the smoke report!! Just as soon as the wine is fine!!

Peace
GT

Jhhnn

Veteran
Crunching up the quick dried trim & popcorn in a big bowl, I found a layer of trichomes at the bottom & made a little ball of not very pure hash, easily a gram. Not very tasty, green-ness & burnt rubber but it has a potent & laid back day dream space ranger high that creeps up in a wrecked before you notice it sort of way. Seems to have some legs, too.

OneStonedPony

@Jhhnn, Yes only 8 days after being chopped, not many things taste that great. The high sounds good on that pheno. I bet after a short cure the flavor will improve. That's been my experience with this strain.

@birdman, I'm not sure what you're talking about ? I sometimes get pm's and questions from folks trying to reach Stonedpony or Stoneypony. They're different guys.

Latest posts

Latest posts