What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

William's Wonder The Chicken or The Egg?

Aaront596

William's Wonder The Chicken or The Egg?

Just got my hands on some beans of AKBB's William's Wonder F4 and I'm so pumped.

So I'm trying to track down the origin of William's Wonder. I know it came from SSSC as M31. But just like Northern Lights it had to come from somewhere else first right? Where did SSSC get it?

So either SSSC created it from crosses and sold it to the States and maybe it took off in Oregon, or it came from Oregon first and they gave the strain to SSSC. I think there was rumors it came from New York possibly or even Willy Nelson but I kinda doubt it.

So the Chicken or the Egg? What came first SSSC's William's Wonder or Oregon William's Wonder? I suspect Oregon had it first because of the name, but I honestly have no idea.

What Old Heads can help shed light on my favorite strain of all time? I'd love to fully understand it's history and where I should look to source it?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
S.W. Oregon has a reputation for good outdoor weed. Specifically, there is a valley with a particularly good climate for grapes and ganja, the upper Applegate river valley. A large tributary is the Williams valley. The headwaters are in the Siskiyou mountains of Southern Oregon and Northern California. Wild country!

Aaront596

S.W. Oregon has a reputation for good outdoor weed. Specifically, there is a valley with a particularly good climate for grapes and ganja, the upper Applegate river valley. A large tributary is the Williams valley. The headwaters are in the Siskiyou mountains of Southern Oregon and Northern California. Wild country!
Sounds just about perfect.

Aaront596

So here's some history that I gathered and to me it sounds probably spot on. It's from this Podcast with Dave AKBB and starts around the 15 minute mark and is very rambling in nature. And from what I could tell this was NOT where he acquired his seeds.

The jest of the history is a guy named Carl from SSSC is the guy who put together the William's Wonder line as M31. He however got the seeds or clones from New York. Apparently WW had made its way to New York from Oregon either to give to SSSC or it was just being cultivated there when SSSC found it. I don't know which.

WW was bred in Williams Oregon by a guy from Santa Cruz California named David Stanley. He apparently had a sound like "O'Hawkin" which I assume is "Oaxacan" (I couldn't tell what AAKB was saying honestly) and took it with him to Williams Oregon and bred it with a guy he smoked with who had a pure Afghani maybe a Landrace. (Forgive me is that sounds stupid I'm not a strain expert) So they bred those together and made William's Wonder and apparently it's still kicking in those parts of Oregon in seed and clone form in certain circles. (That's what I need to get my hands on! Wink wink to anyone listening!)

But anyway like I said from Oregon it found its way to New York where SSSC got it and a dude working there named Carl turned it into a SSSC seed line called Williams Wonder M31.

Now as of Feb 2022 Dave Stanley the originator from Williams Oregon was still kicking, but he's around 75 years old at this point. His son "Shiloh" or maybe "Shanoah" owns Ziplock Seeds now. And I guess that's about it. That's all I could gather. If any of it is confusing listen to the podcast starting at around the 15 minute mark and maybe that will help clear some of it up.

Oh and apparently Dave Stanley used to smoke out with Willie Nelson pretty regular. So I guess that aspect and the name of that area of Oregon being Williams all played a role in the name of the strain. We always called it Willie's Wonder I never heard it called William's Wonder until I got looking around on the internet years and years later.

I would love to here some of y'all's thoughts on the subject hopefully from some people in the know in the Williams, Oregon area.

Last edited:

ReprobateMind

Did you grow out any of those William's Wonder from AKBB? I had some WW back in the early 2000s and it was some of the best weed I've ever had. Very skunky stank, too.

Latest posts

Latest posts